1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Tale of Three Hondas: an ongoing saga in multiple acts

Discussion in 'General' started by Jumeira_Johnny, 6 Jan 2021.

1. Xir

Xir Modder

Yup...dining room table is also a favorite... use lots of brake cleaner for a good smell will yield extra points with your spouse. :naughty:

boiled_elephant likes this.
  2. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

What exactly are we looking at there, is that clutch internals? (I have no idea what most internals look like other than gearboxes.)

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Angle grinder + wire wheel is a game-changer tbh.

Really there are 4 or 5 different ways I'd de-rust a part - Angle grinder with either flap disc or knotted wire wheel, drill with mini wire brush/wheel, bench grinder with wire wheel or, most recently, using electrolysis. If anyone's not tried it, it's bloody magnificent for the really crusted and fiddly stuff.

All you need is a bucket, old wire, a battery charger, some Anhydrous Sodium Carbonate and a lump of sacrificial metal.

Before:
    [​IMG]

During:
    [​IMG]

After a very light wire brush and clean up, ready for paint:
    [​IMG]

boiled_elephant and Arboreal like this.
  4. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Or for the true Macgyver home brew use washing powder instead, a sprinkle of Daz does wonders.

Another cleaning bodge, for corroded / dirty chrome, rub down with aluminium foil and bleach.

5. Xir

Xir Modder

My dining room table, with a lot of freshly cleaned clutch internals, yes.
    The missus rejoiced, but it was cold in the garage. :grin:

6. Xir

Xir Modder

7. boiled_elephant

A mechanic once told me that clutches are quite beautiful when you see them taken apart, and he wasn't wrong. Though I still have zero clue how they really work even after perusing all those photos.

We're threadjacking, though. Jumeira, you may regail us when ready.

8. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Hey guys, I haven't abandoned you. We had our third foster placement, an emergency one, and it's been.....a bit chaotic. But I am still sneaking away in between responsibilities and getting some work done. I'll update as soon as things are back on an even keel.

The frame is a Doddle bug. They are still in production, although ours is older and has been hacked on a bit. Most notably there is the addition of a 10hp John Deere engine out of a very large snow blower. Because why not. The frame has a lot of after market support. Go Power Sports has an entire section for it. We have added a rear disk brake, the original one didn't hold the bike at idle. We need to fabricate a new engine mount plate, since the original one is swiss cheese from various motors over the years. we also need to make sure the front cog is aligned and true to the drive sprocket. and perhaps a torque converter since the centrifugal clutch is rated for 4hp ish.

Totally safe and responsible.

9. boiled_elephant

Friend of mine is a full time foster carer, he used to take emergency ones and based on some of the stories he's told me...you have my sympathy!