1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Mass Effect 2 is 10 years old

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Pete J, 1 Feb 2021.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I feel old...

2. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

...and somehow it still looks better than Mass Effect Andromeda.

I'm replaying these, very slowly. Game 1 is a seriously slow-burn grind. I'm looking forward to getting to Game 2.

The beginning of 2 was weird, though, wasn't it? I played them back to back first time round, and the opening scene of Shepard just suddenly dying felt really wtf. And then to set up the game, he's brought back to life via cloning from like, DNA samples, and somehow has his old personality and memories intact? That was really "ugh". Took all of my suspension of disbelief to get past it. Thankfully the game is glorious after that.

3. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Heh, you have a point. Imagine if the two were combined with the strength of their parts.
    Yeah, I tried replaying 1 a while ago. Unfortunately it doesn't hold up well now, but it was a first generation UE3 game after all. We'll have to see what the remaster offers, but it's going to take more than the rumoured texture and lighting upgrades to impress me.
    Hmm, never thought about it too much! I found it okay, and as you say, the rest of the game is stellar. Besides, who knows what we'll be able to get up to in the future...

Actually, thinking about it, one of the underlying themes is whether Shepard is his (or her...) old self, or just an AI that passes the Turing test.

4. boiled_elephant

I hadn't thought about that angle on it. Maybe there was more about that and I just rushed past it; I did get a bit autistically focused on the ship/crew improvement meta at the expense of paying attention to the game's slower moments.

If they remake 1 they'll need to seriously overhaul (read: replace from scratch) the inventory, gear and weapon systems, because damn.

5. loftie

loftie Multimodder

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

No disagreement from me! Following on from @loftie 's video:

Looks like it'll be mostly the same though.

I'm not holding my breath though - I've been modding in 4K textures for ME2 and 3 to good effect in the past and will be surprised if the remaster surpasses them significantly.

And no Pinnacle Station...

7. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Didn't the devs accidentally delete/corrupt the source files for Pinnacle Station during development or something?

Edit, watched the vid, that's exactly what happened to Pinnacle Station. Doh!

Not sure about all the extra colour grading going on, especially on Feros. It was supposed to look cloudy and greyish, the up-res looks very brown and that SUNLIGHT in the skybox that would make JJ Abrams proud. Nit picky I know.

Last edited: 2 Feb 2021
    boiled_elephant likes this.
  8. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

No Pinnacle no loss. It looks interesting. Will probably wait for real reviews and videos.

9. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

You can't please everyone but I am a ME1 fanboy and I would be happiest with elevator time being reduced and some streamlining of inventory so you can autosell all the crap, i do understand that what we will get will be a more ME2 style of ME1 than before.

There's nothing like taking the Mako up impossible mountains only to have it roll sideways just shy of the top! :hehe:

Edit: This reminds me I installed the ME1 DLC's recently and didnt play them......

10. boiled_elephant

ME1 had DLCs? :geek:

11. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Oh yes. Pinnacle Station and Bring Down the Sky. To be fair, Pinnacle Station (as @Fizzban says) isn't really important as it's just a combat simulator. You do miss out on the hardest Mass Effect challenge by not playing it though.

Bring Down the Sky does get linked to ME3 though.

12. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

never finished me2 on xbox 360 my save file corrupted and then i got the rod on my box. will prolly prolly pick up the remasters

13. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

The remastered character model/skin in the video Pete J linked actually looks worse, IMO.

I'll probably get this simply because I never got any of the DLC for ME1, only got the free DLC for ME2, and don't remember getting the DLC for ME3... that's how much ME3 stuck in my memory; enjoyed the first, loved the second, found the third quite tedious (although, as with Andromeda, I was very late to the ME3 show).

14. loftie

loftie Multimodder

If you have it on PC, AFAIK the DLC is free.

Paradigm Shifter likes this.
  15. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I did not know this. Just had a hunt and yes, apparently it is. Nice, thanks for the heads up!

16. loftie

loftie Multimodder

No problem. The LE also doesn't come with Pinnacle Station, but as others have said, it's probably no big loss.

17. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Bring Down the Sky DLC is excellent. Well worth it. Pinnacle was very M'eh. ME3 did it many times better with the Citadel dlc where you can go into the simulator to battle. That was fun. Pinnacle? Not so much.