1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I also finally joined the ultrawide brigade courtesy of a Dell U4021QW, would have been sooner if the image retention issues on the LG/MSI 5k*2k screens didn't scare me.

[​IMG]

Kinda risky given that it's extremely hot off the press, but also I don't think Dell has ever made a dud, or any monitor that's less than excellent AFAIK.

Vault-Tec, Pete J, DeadP1xels and 2 others like this.
  2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

oh yeah, Dell monitors have always been really good, plus they are one of the last manufactures making 16:10 screens.

3. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

didnt know they still made 16:10 screens, pefct for pc use compared to 16:9. Im still rocking a hpzr30w and dell 2405 on my non gaming pcs

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

It's not a normal usb cable mate. I bought a nice braided one and it didn't work. I ended up braiding mine 'cause blue.

If they spark they are faulty. It's as simple as that. I've had mine going 10 months and have not had any issues whatsoever. If you think about it... Like how many miners were using tons of those things with no problems.

I've got two in service. One in my overkill small willy pc and one in my NAS and they both work great.

Yaka likes this.
  5. Vault-Tec

Forgot a few tips. Don't connect the power connector. Mine made the sound card unstable. I would imagine they are meant for GPUs.

[​IMG]

That one is for a GPU should I need HDMI on the rig.

[​IMG]

That was the final install. I braided the blue USB cable. As you can see, I have no power going to that one. It makes the sound card's relays trip out. Too much power, no doubt. I was going to buy a X1 riser. Infact rewind that, I did. I paid £28 for one (high end risers are expensive) and it wasn't long enough. One long enough? £50. Yeah, screw those apples. The mining riser cost me £3.50.

[​IMG]

That was during testing. Obs I wasn't going to connect it up to a four grand PC. And yeah, with the STX the power cable made it trip out.

[​IMG]

That's the one I got for my sound card. Had a nice angled connector at the mobo end (so it doesn't stick out all nasty) had a black slot and doesn't need power.

[​IMG]

Those were what I tried. As I say, don't work. So I got braid and cloth tape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All I can think of dude is that the guy used something that did not need power to the lanes with no protection. Your STX has relays, anything wrong and "kerclick". I'm sure you hear it all the time :D

Edit. OK just studied yours more closely away from the phone. It's the same as mine, sans the power connector. Like, exactly the same.

They obviously realised a X1 device doesn't need the power so have removed the power connector completely. Otherwise? it's identical, and works a treat.

Last edited: 7 Feb 2021
    Yaka likes this.
  6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Hey that case looks familiar... :grin:

7. Vault-Tec

haha. You want to know what sod's law is? there's a G4 on FB MP for a tenner right now. In Bognor. Which would have taken me about an hour to convert, not two sodding weeks :D

Still, the MDD is far prettier, so I won't lose any sleep.

That's coming to the flat next week. Every time I go over I have something bloody hefty to bring home.

[​IMG]

As you can see I desperately need it. I keep accidentally over flowing the drive and it then takes about three hours to delete the stuff off. The new one has a 3tb music drive, I would say that is more than I will ever need lol.

If you see me post anything that looks heavy in this thread bash me on the fingers with a hammer. That thing has literally sat there 6 months because of my new HIFI obsession FFS :D

8. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Found the perfect companion NPC for my fantasy RPG character (when we ever get back to IRL tabletop games).
    Meet "Patsy" :grin:

[​IMG]

Pete J, Dr. Coin, Andersen and 5 others like this.
  9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I love it.

10. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

I need to know where to get this!

11. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

IanW and MadGinga like this.
  12. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

Pure win

13. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

When I see "Meet Patsy", I think of;

[​IMG]

The_Crapman, Pete J and jinq-sea like this.
  14. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Meat pasty?? I'm in!!

15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

@wolfticket already posted the patreon link, but the designer also has a MyMiniFactory page, where I paid a whole $5 for the STL file.

wolfticket likes this.
  16. Vault-Tec

There was one dud I knew of years ago. They tweaked one inside and it was terrible. Annoyingly the earlier version was about the best monitor you could buy at the time so you needed to be very careful.

17. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Found one of these BNIB for half of retail prices. Very happy.

[​IMG]

Pete J likes this.
  18. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I still use 16:10 at work (incidentally, it's a Dell), but since working from home I've been using my 16:9 Acer and I haven't noticed any practical difference despite the loss of 160 vertical pixels. The aspect ratio debate is a strange one, because any display can be adapted if you chop off the side or the top. For me it was always more about resolution, and 1440p is fine for me as long as it's not on a 27" display, in which case I find it much too small.

19. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

That's interesting, I'm running 27" @ 1080 on 2 PCs at home and was considering 27" 1440 for my gamer / workstation. Sadly, I physically have no room to wider/ bigger than a 27" in that location.

LennyRhys likes this.
  20. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Yeah, widescreen desktop displays were predominantly 16:10 (or 4:3) before Dell put out their U2711, which was PC users' answer to the Apple Cinema 27" display back in 2010. Prior to that, 24" at 1920x1200 was considered big for a desktop display, and there was nothing between that and 30". I remember seeing my mate's Dell 24" in 2007 and thinking, whoa, what an absolute beast! And now I'm working with a 32" every day and think nothing of it LOL.

As for resolution, 27" 1440 is almost 110 pixels per inch, whereas my current 32" is around 90 pixels per inch. It's a really big difference in practice for me, and considerably easier on the old eyes.