1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

IMO the PS5 design is fine, it's just so.. Monolithic. It looks like it'd fairly easily dominate the area in which it's mean to go - Under the Tv, and make everything else look weird by comparison. Even though everything else is most likely a variation of black box.

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

That console was certainly a chonker, but I actually quite liked the original 'Duke' controller! Turned out to be one of the most long-lived and versatile consoles out there, although maybe not in the way that Microsoft intended because all that was largely thanks to the modding & homebrew community. I'd argue that they're still a great console for running emulators, although that won't last much longer as the price is really starting to creep up these days.

EDIT:

Up until a few weeks ago I would have agreed with you. Then I got a 65" TV and that certainly dominates the room!

3. liratheal

You kids and your 65" TV's!

To be fair, according to all the suggested size calculators I can find, for the viewing distance I'm at I "should" have a 75" TV. Not that that is ever likely to pass muster with the lady. We've tentatively agreed to go to around 60 at most, which I guess means either a 55 or an insistance and a 65.

4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

There are calculators for that kind of stuff? Although, why am I surprised?

5. liratheal

There are! And I'm not sure, there's calculators for everything out there. Hell, there's more than a few for calculating the size of subwoofer needed for a given room with the appropriate dimensions to achieve various different response ranges..

6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

To be fair those calculators, or at least the ones I linked to, give you an indication of what screen size you'd need in order to replicate the minimum viewing angle for a cinema screen. Most people don't want a 'cinema experience' at home (@Mister_Tad being the exception to the norm, as usual) because it means you need a bloody massive screen!

7. liratheal

I'm afraid I'm one of those "How can I feel like I'm at the cinema" types, because the primary content consumed on the TV is films these days, if it was just me I'd definitely be in the market for something.. Excessively large for normal lounges. Especially given my distaste for the cinema experience in so much as there are other people, the seating is built/arranged for people of average height, and I just don't enjoy being crammed into a cinema. Germany specific: Original language showings are really late - We get home around 1am from the cinema when we go (Well.. Went), because they start at around half ten usually.

On top of that, the lounge I have right now the 43" looks like a sailor lost at sea. We sit about 4m from the TV (After measuring, initial thoughts were 3m, but.. The guessing stick disagrees), and while there's nothing wrong with the TV, it feels a little.. Meh in many instances.

Byron C likes this.
  8. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I'll stick with my 47" Panasonic from 2012 until it dies. The colours are great, I have had zero issues with it and it doesn't get on my nerve with smart features (because I never connected it to any network) I neither need nor want.

9. liratheal

Eugh, I'd love it if I could buy a TV without smart features, I swear to <deity>..

OT: A rice cooker, because to paraphrase Uncle Roger, it's not WWII, so use technology.

Last edited: 13 Feb 2021
    perplekks45 likes this.
  10. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Have to agree with that. We have a 43" tv and sit about 10' away. We're happy with that, we don't watch films much or sport at all, tv is not very important to either of us and we are not after a "cinema experience." The last time I actually went to a cinema was when we went to see The Lord of the Rings. It was so damned uncomfortable I haven't darkened the doorway of such an establishment since.

11. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I think there's a difference between "cinema experience at home" and "cinema experience in your lounge"

I certainly don't want the latter.

Byron C likes this.
  12. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Imho this is where the beauty of these ambient lighting TVs come in - with the lights off for movie time you can create a much more effective ambience than just a sensible-sized TV on its own.

I'm hoping to upgrade this year, the snag being it'll need a new AV receiver as well to do 4K, as it's limited to 1080p at the moment.

13. liratheal

You one o' them weirdos that uses their lounge for non movie viewing activities?

14. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

We're not all fortunate enough to be able to dedicate a separate room for a home cinema though, I certainly can't living in a 2 bed flat but I'd still like a somewhat immersive experience when I'm watching a film (which is most of what I watch tbh). I only sit ~8ft from my screen but even at that distance 65" doesn't cut it tbh (it was fine at first but you quickly get used to it) so I'll be going for a 77" this year which should fit nicely and will be immersive enough without being too overpowering. Some people think anything over 55" is too big regardless of room size but these are probably the same people who think wall mounting a TV above a fireplace is a good idea so I don't tend to listen to those people.

15. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Wall mounting a TV above a fireplace. LMAO reminds me I did some work for Currys many years ago. Went to look at a faulty TV which had an issue with part of the screen just being completely dead. This was due to the TV being mounted above a fireplace which was turned on the heat had damaged the soldered connections on the TV.

Informing the customer of this they where not happy, we took the TV for inspection and as far as I am aware was rejected as was not faulty. (we noted on the paperwork where it had been fitted etc)

16. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I’d find anything over 55 to big for my lounge. Especially where it is currently mounted, over the fireplace :lol:

17. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

He won't want to talk to you now.

18. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Ah, going for the ol' airport lounge feel I see :lol:

19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I think this is definitely going to be the next piece of kitchen equipment that I buy. I cook a lot of rice, and trying to do it properly in a saucepan can be tricky (as opposed to just boiling the f' out of it and then straining the rice afterwards, which is what I used to do (because it's what my mother used to do...)). My kitchen be tiny though, there is absolutely piss all counter-top space - priority list for the next house we move to: off-street parking, 3+ bedrooms, big kitchen with lots of storage, and space for a f'ing dishwasher!

20. liratheal

Measure with finger!

Tbh, I've also cooked my fair share of shocking rice. I figured I'd earned the rice cooker by getting to the point where I could reliably churn out decent rice. So now I can forget how to do it, and just wash the rice and slap it in a rice cooker and boom. Technology.

I'd kill for that kind of technology to attach pockets..

Edit: On the topic of the PS5. Someone (With access to Jim Lee, a crucial aspect I feel) found something worthwhile to do with the expanse that is the side panel;

Last edited: 14 Feb 2021