1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Modding the front USB on my Corsair 900D case

Discussion in 'Modding' started by monty-pup, 22 Dec 2020.

1. monty-pup

monty-pup Minimodder

I spent a small fortune on my 900D case and I’ve been incredibly happy with it. But, I will be upgrading my rig in the next few months and I want to keep the case, while bringing it up to date.

by that I mean I want to remove the front 4x USB2.0 type A slots and replace with 3 or 4 USB3.1 type C slots. That would also leave me with 2x front USB3.0 type A slots.

I have never modded anything before, but I’m willing to give it a go.

can anyone advise where I should start - how hard could it be to remove the existing USBs and put in the newer types? I’m guessing, unless my new motherboard will feed the USB-Cs then I’ll have to add a PCIe card with cables reaching to the front IO ...

Has anyone done similar to their cases?

2. miculago

miculago Minimodder

Hi,
    I plan to do something similar and have no experience on this topic so far. I think it is more or less ripping the old i/o out and installing the new one, including connecting the cables to the respective ports on the motherboard.

Maybe you can help me out with my problem. Do you know a supplier for these i/o boards with USB ports? I have no idea where to buy these parts.

Best regards

monty-pup likes this.
  3. monty-pup

monty-pup Minimodder

Hi.
    I have not modded the case for two reasons. 1) I probably won’t be upgrading my motherboard for a few more months yet due to the supply issues of most bits I want. 2) I realised there were no off-the-shelf solutions provided by Corsair or 3rd parties. So I would have to try and do it myself and I have no idea where to start with that.

I am still interested in doing it though. I hate the idea that case manufacturers are tying us in to buying ever increasingly more expensive cases, when all I want is a new front panel with the latest USB ports.

I’ll update the thread if I do it and how much work it is. But can I ask you do the same if you do it before me?

Cheers

4. miculago

miculago Minimodder

Thanks for your reply. You gave me confidence that he issue is not on my side. It is really hard to find these higher grade front panel at all.
    I will keep you informed as I have something new on this topic ;)

5. Gary Moreira

Gary Moreira What's a Dremel?

I have the Corsair 900D and was going to do what I am writing about here. I ultimately changed my mind and am building a custom case using aluminum T-slots so I can run a dual 560 radiator setup. Having said that, what I found is that if you want the latest USB types for your case, the only option is to buy a new front panel i/o and strip out the newer USB's you'd like to use and swap them with the old ones in the 900D. If someone knows of an easier way or a source for the latest USB types, please let me know.

For the 900D it's fairly simple. First you have to disassemble the case and remove the front i/o panel. Then remove the screws that hold the i/o panel together. This YouTube video is a great reference on how to tear down the 900D: Corsair 900D Full Tower Case, 1st Breakdown & Dismantle - YouTube.

The USB's are all held in place via friction fit. Just slide them out and slide the new ones in. See picture below for close up of the USB ports. The Corsair Obsidian 1000D has two USB 3.2 Gen 2 and four USB 3.0 ports. You can buy the front i/o separately, directly from Corsair:
    https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/PC-Components/Cases/Obsidian-1000D-I-O-Panel/p/CC-8900156. The USA website was perpetually out of stock, so I had to order it from the UK website, have it delivered to a 3rd party mail forwarding company and then sent to me in the US. The UK site won't ship to US addresses.
    https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/PC-Components/Cases/Obsidian-1000D-I-O-Panel/p/CC-8900156. As of the time of this writing, it is in stock for £35.

Unfortunately, the 1000D front i/o is not easy to tear apart and you basically have to cut the plastic away to get to the USB's. Also the USB 3.2 Gen 2's are the smaller oval shape instead of the traditional rectangle. It obviously won't be a perfect fit and you may have to get creative in getting it to stick in the rectangular opening. On the bright side, since the 1000D is such a massive case, all of the USB cables are long enough to connect from the front of the 900D to the motherboard without any issues.
    Good luck.

900D Front USB Panel.JPG

6. monty-pup

monty-pup Minimodder

Thank you for being the first man on the moon. I’m now treading in your foot steps and I’ve ordered the 1000D front panel. For fixing any loose USB connectors I have wood filler. It comes in a tin and in two parts that need to be mixed together. It sets solidly and should be good. I’m f it works well then I’ll be so happy I don’t have to invest in a new case!

7. Gary Moreira

Gary Moreira What's a Dremel?

Great idea for the wood filler. I may need something like that on my custom case. I will be cutting down the 1000D front I/O panel into a square shape and inserting it into a custom 3D printed panel. The wood filler may help in hold in place. Thanks.

8. monty-pup

monty-pup Minimodder

This is what I use to fix rotten wood in my windows. It sets very hard. Not sure how it would do sitting on one face of material - but used to bind in a hole or between several faces it would work well.

https://diy.com/departments/ronseal-high-performance-white-ready-mixed-wood-filler-550g/36104_BQ.prd

The reviews are average to bad but it seems the people writing reviews don’t really understand what they’re buying.

Oh and it stinks! So maybe leave it in a garage for most of a week. I’m sure the modders here might have a better suggestion … modders let us know if you read this and you do :)

Yıldırım Sertbaş likes this.