1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony PS5 DualSense drift class action filed in the US

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 16 Feb 2021.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

we have 3 pads, one of them drifts in certain games at random times, overwatch and fortnite are the two main ones. its kinda wierd for us repairing solves then it happens again after a day or two i ahve a sneakey feeling it might be bluetooth related rather than hardware.

3. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I can see why this bothers people (and it bothers me) but I can't remember an analogue controller I've used that hasn't had some sort of drift if not careful. Joysticks had trimmers to compensate. GoldenEye speedrunners on the N64 used the analogue stick zero calibration to set their characters into automatic movement even without them touching the stick.

While I've not used a PS5 controller yet, I've used three PS4 controllers and two had minor drift if the stick was allowed to snap back uncontrolled. A light wiggle with thumb once centred meant the drift stopped. Same with the PS3 and PS2 controllers I had. My XBox One controller does the same thing - actually it's worse than my PS4 controller.

I can't help but think this is making a mountain out of a molehill.

4. Jimbob

Jimbob Minimodder

Perhaps a firmware update that makes a slightly larger deadzone for the centre. My X56-Rhino drifts on the Z axis but the driver allows you to do this yourself.

5. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Whilst I can appreciate that it isn't doing as you would expect, I can't really think of a situation where you release the analogue sticks to stop movement. Surely everyone just centres them manually while playing?

I used to get a similar issue with my PS4 where I lost control completely and my character or whatever would just crack on without me. Turns out it was interference from an external HDD enclosure (attached to the PS4). Moving this out of the direct path of controller to PS4 helped but this problem was eliminated when I upgraded to a WD elements enclosure. Must have better shielding I guess?

6. monty-pup

monty-pup Minimodder

It is clearly an issue that needs resolving.

I’ve only ever had one controller go bad and it was a PS4 controller that would drift after I had had it 2 years.

Iacuna - I’m always letting go of my controller - stretching - grabbing something - drinking - eating - whatever - it doesn’t matter really does it? No one expects their ingame movement to carry on because a controller is faulty.

7. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Well yes that's normal but I think I would normally let go of the controller when I had already stopped moving. I don't disagree that it's a problem, I just think the game play shown in the video isn't natural

8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I've been able to recreate this, albeit inconsistently and just on the left stick. Never noticed it during 3 months of gameplay. Maybe it's a hardware issue, but it wouldn't bother me if they just increased the dead zone by 1% to address it if this is as "bad" as it gets, because it seems like at the moment there's no dead zone at all.

Well that's just what class actions are for, innit? I look forward to the possibility of receiving 50p of PS store credit so that CSK&D can collect a $250m payday

liratheal likes this.
  9. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

I really don't understand why deadzones are not user configurable on all consoles.

You used to be able to adjust the Xbone elite controller stick deadzones in the accessories app. Standard controller never got the option. Now it's been deleted and you can only adjust trigger deadzones which seems like a backward step.

10. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

monty-pup likes this.
Tags: Add Tags