1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Puddidium235 - Feb 2023 Complete +Final pics

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cheapskate, 13 Nov 2019.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

[​IMG]
    -Well, that was...different. I just hope it's over.
    I have 2 houses I still need to turn the water back on to see what happens. I have one tenant that flooded the kitchen and living room because they didn't know what the faucet knob on the side of the house was for, Another that turned his water off as soon as he noticed the burst pipe, and the other tenants are still silent. :worried:
    -I'm pretty sure those were the only copper pipe houses. The big problem is that the hardware stores all had F'all for plumbing stock a week ago when I went, and now they are lined up for a block...and probably still don't have plumbing supplies. [/rant]
    Anyway, I'm exhausted and I needed someone to rage to. Everyone else I know is in a similar boat... just not times 12.

Edit: 2 more breaks. One blew out my Aunt's kitchen ceiling. :(

Last edited: 21 Feb 2021
  2. kim

kim hardware addict

Nothing worst than plumbing issues, even for the master of water-cooling :naughty:

3. Nexaner7

Nexaner7 What's a Dremel?

Looks like the marble runs I used to have as a kid ^^

4. Cheapskate

@kim - Sucking up an inch of water with a shop vac and pulling up laminate while the tenants play with their phones, then spending the next day crawling through their attic to pull wet insulation. -Not much plumbing. :(
    @Nexaner7 - Talking about runs with only a toilet on the page. :lol: What?

Resting. I guess I should post the tiny amount of update I have:
    [​IMG]
    -I did the top pass on the chunk. This involved zeroing the machine on the top corner hole. Then the holes were bored out to fit screw heads about 3/4" deep. Here it's making a slot for that front cap I started with.
    [​IMG]
    -I got the switch assembly fitted. You can sort-of see a 1/4" round peg of swirl plastic glued to the switch. It's cut to the height needed to trigger the switch when the marble is pressed. I tested it, so 3 years from now when I actually get to use it, it should work.
    [​IMG]
    -I managed to find some screws long enough to test fit the two manifolds. At this point I had stopped to draw stuff for MNPCTech, and then this ice-storm thing happened.
    See you in Spring?

5. Nexaner7

Nexaner7 What's a Dremel?

I am a little late to the party, but it was referred to the first few pages :grin:

6. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Got some serious weight in acrylic in this build! Just thought regarding the rough surface on the milling, its not the direction of travel of the milling is it? I find it cuts cleaner in a particular direction for each side.

7. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Always love a good acrylic milling build but this is going overboard!
    Awesome, hope the ice storm didnt cause to much damage.

8. Cheapskate

Thanks. :D
    Amazon has middle of March delivery times for plumbing stuff, a $4 can of pvc glue is running $20, and there's no drywall anywhere. Yeah, there was damage. I need about 15 sheets of drywall. Thank God were are friends with a flooring company owner.

@riekmaharg2 - I confirmed the smooth-rough was due to a tiny tilt. Where it chewed up only part of one side, though? :worried:
    @Nexaner7 - Just teasing. :D

9. Cheapskate

Ok... I need to post the tiny amount I've done, but I messed up the ModZoo servers. :lol: Using Bit's image server for this one. I just hope a bunch of it doesn't disappear like before.
    [​IMG]
    -I made an attempt at gluing O-rings, But soon found my tube of silicone glue was too old and wouldn't cure.
    [​IMG]
    -I got started on something else in the meantime. I really don't wan't to jump back into something major when I only have a few hours a week to spare, so I went after swapping waterblocks in Bloo out. The top is visible here. I'm almost out of 50 feet of black O-ring cord, so This one gets the red.
    [​IMG]
    -I mean, if I have to buy an entire tube of glue for a few tiny dabs, I might as well get all the sealing I need to do done in one shot.
    This is a pic of the 'oops' moment. I got called away during coding and left the O-ring channels at the stock depth of .1" But, hey! that's exactly twice the depth I needed to cut... :idea: What if I just use two O-rings? :worried:
    [​IMG]
    -Here's the two halves of the top ready for a Heatkiller base. I wasn't taking many pics either.
    [​IMG]
    -All together. You can see I had to add some O-rings around the screw holes in the return chamber.
    [​IMG]
    -You really can't see the double stack of gasket here...
    [​IMG]
    -For the leak test I added a shi- ...ed load of dye. I slapped this on an old heatsink, blasted the heatsink with a hair dryer a few times, and waited. After a few days I decided it was working and did the swap.
    [​IMG]
    -Heatkiller, meet heat BLUDGEONer, a testament to my love of overly massive plastic. This thing kept my rig running for weeks with the pump disconnected, before I finally had a forced shutdown while gaming.
    [​IMG]
    - :lol: The O-ring was burned on. Now the big question is, can I use this big baseplate in a modern system? They don't exactly give you this kind of footprint on an ITX rig, or any modern chipset, really.

Still rebuilding stuff. Found another minor leak and fixed that. FINALLY got parts to patch my Aunt's plumbing.

ifohancroft, TodMod and Jean R built like this.
  10. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Some times when i watch you guys going through all the trials and tribs of making your own diy blocks and distro's im glad im went back to air modding .... but then i see how cool this stuff looks in the end and it just makes me wanna get a CNC. :thumb:

ifohancroft likes this.
  11. Cheapskate

:naughty: You should get one.

ifohancroft and Defyant Mods like this.
  12. Cheapskate

Sorry for the delays. Boy, but d*mn it's been a while. I don't really have much to show, either. I'm still working on repairs, and had a few tenants move out, so there's some more work.
    [​IMG]
    -That messed up manifold part ended up being really useful. I needed something to align the screw holes while fusing the reservoir end caps together, so I bolted it to one of the ends. An old amp served as a sturdy 90 degree support.
    [​IMG]
    -Once I got most of the needed brackets cut, it sat like this for a long time. I screwed up and designed around Hardware Lab's 280 radiator... and then that covid thing. They went out of stock everywhere.
    [​IMG]
    -Bill at MNPCTech SAVED MY *SS once again by finding one for me. I'm calling this payment for drawing another case design. :lol: Thanks again, man!
    Of course, almost immediately I find my CAD model was wrong. I drew the fan spacing at 20mm, not 15.5. That's OK, I was already missing 3 out of 4 motherboard mounting holes too.
    [​IMG]
    -I remembered to get a pic of one bracket at least. I got a new table surface from the leftovers of my Aunt's new countertops. Her old one got kinda wet and fell apart...
    [​IMG]
    -With the radiator, I can get some brackets aligned and everything assembled. Adjusting the res tube cut to these milled parts only involved adding a blue spacer layer to the bottom. -Well, it's on the top here. Everything is upside-down. I have the reject manifold plate on there as well to help align the radiator plates and the back. -Handy!
    Now I have to chase around everything with a square and find what's making the back not line up.
    Thanks for looking. :D See you again in 6 months?

13. dreps

dreps Minimodder

at this point, I'm not even sure what you are building.
    Lots and lots of plexi in about every color of the rainbox spectrum...
    I see o-rings and waterblocks but I'm just wondering what the h*ell you're building...

14. Cheapskate

I'll try to help you there:
    [​IMG]
    The barrel shape fits a gpu, above that is an itx motherboard. From the earlier post you can see the radiator and a mount for the sff psu.
    -Anything not yellow or blue-green was made for something else. :lol:
    The driving concept during designing was to have a loop be 90 percent of the case.

Last edited: 21 Jul 2022
    4LIEN likes this.
  15. dan297

dan297 Modder

Holy ****....those 6 months really flew by...:grin::lol:

16. Cheapskate

:( No Sir, they did not. I've done so much home repair, and still have absolutely nothing finished. A 'do one small part of the computer a day' work schedule has helped a lot, but it takes me a week to do what would normally take a few hours like this.

17. dan297

dan297 Modder

I know you are rather busy lately.
    What I meant was the time between post #212 and post #214 :grin::lol:

18. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

9 x 3D Printers later......:lol: i just don't have room now for a cc machine and i'm sure i wouldn't make me same coin :grin: never rule it out ... but apart from case modding i just would never have a need for it... pretty much goes for laser cutter..

ive pretty much retired all my case "modding tools" and taken a deep dive into the 3D printing mod scene:hip: The design as always is looking pretty cool it's amazing what you come up with :rock::rock:

19. Cheapskate

@dan297 - There's no way I could NO reject that statement, though. :lol:
    @Defyant Mods - Give us a plexi/print hybrid case mod already! :D

20. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

LOL if have to book in time on my own printers nowadays :p thyr pretty much cued with print orders 24/7 covid has given us a full second income.

Altho i can see a 3d printer working in well with alot of your mods. Even prototyping parts before you CC.