1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Also governments can currently borrow at record low costs which makes holding back on infrastructure spending etc a fools errand as it will cost way more in interest to do the same in the future.

As for the hate filled goblin called Kate, "you won, get over it".

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

PROJECT FEAR! Although, in this case, it's less prä-ˌjekt and more prə-ˈjekt, and I feel that the UK is projecting quite a lot of fear at the moment...

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I see Raab says we'll see Brexit benefits in * thinks of a random number * 10 years.

How long did it take before snake oil sellers were eventually chased out of town?

5. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

They never went, they just switched to high-end hifi...

MLyons, spolsh, Nexxo and 2 others like this.
  6. Nexxo

Came across an excerpt from polymath G. K. Chesterton’s 1929 essay collection Heretics, and it describes Brexit perfectly:

"Suppose that a great commotion arises in the street about something, let us say a lamp-post, which many influential persons desire to pull down. A grey-clad monk, who is the spirit of the Middle Ages, is approached upon the matter, and begins to say, in the arid manner of the Schoolmen, “Let us first of all consider, my brethren, the value of Light. If Light be in itself good—” At this point he is somewhat excusably knocked down. All the people make a rush for the lamp-post, the lamp-post is down in ten minutes, and they go about congratulating each other on their un-mediaeval practicality.

But as things go on they do not work out so easily. Some people have pulled the lamp-post down because they wanted the electric light; some because they wanted old iron; some because they wanted darkness, because their deeds were evil. Some thought it not enough of a lamp-post, some too much; some acted because they wanted to smash municipal machinery; some because they wanted to smash something. And there is war in the night, no man knowing whom he strikes. So, gradually and inevitably, to-day, to-morrow, or the next day, there comes back the conviction that the monk was right after all, and that all depends on what is the philosophy of Light. Only what we might have discussed under the gas-lamp, we now must discuss in the dark."

DXR_13KE, Byron C, loftie and 4 others like this.
  7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

And that is a perfect example of why I hold you in very high esteem. Also, a near perfect description.

8. Nexxo

Last edited: 20 Feb 2021
  9. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Not to mention covid, lockdowns, travel restrictions and the whole world going to ****.

Any way it'll all work out right, we'll ship out local hoodlums from the inner cities to the countryside to earn their keep

Been unemployed for 6 months or more? we've got a job for you on a farm somewhere, think of it as national service.

10. Nexxo

UK government still deciding whether to go for "Dig for Victory" or "Work sets you Free"...

11. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Well they already tried Work your way out of poverty.

12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Throw them into the Irish Sea to dig that imaginary vanity tunnel from the middle of butt f*** nowhere Scotland to the middle of butt f*** nowhere Northern Ireland...

Last edited: 21 Feb 2021
  13. perplekks45

Yeah, that worked beautifully in Germany a few years ago. We had a shortage in Polish helpers for the asparagus harvest, so politicians decided to get long-term unemployed people to do the harvest. On day one they all showed up, on day two less than 20% showed up, the rest gave up, citing back problems as the reason why they just could NOT do this job. I guess that'll happen with all the chavs/hoodlums as well.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  14. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

Farmers here don't like it either as Brits are used to better working conditions that allow for crazy things like breaks and understand how much they should be getting paid so do annoying things like ask for minimum wage.

damien c likes this.
  15. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Knowing our government it won't be chavs'n'hoodlums they try to send but the long term unemployed over 50s, the majority of whom are in that state due to chronic health problems. If you can pick a pound coin up from a table you are clearly fit enough to haul crates round a warehouse (or pull carrots out of the fields etc).

16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I mean, I'm not a chav and/or a hoodlum, but given my sedentary lifestyle I'd probably be wrecked after a day picking sprouts too...

17. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Also regular UK housing costs in civilisation + temporary housing costs near the fields = No go on the shitty salary for picking veg.

The only way a temp job in an extremely remote location like a farm works out financially is if you are being bussed in from somewhere with insignificant living costs like rural Romania.

18. perplekks45

Would you just not show up the next day, though? Or would you give it a try and at least put in some effort before calling it quits?

19. Gareth Halfacree

I predict that I would be literally unable to stand the next day, so no - I'd be very unlikely to show up. Anyone who says otherwise is, I think, *dramatically* underestimating the toll that kind of work takes on your body. This ain't playing around for half an hour at a pick-your-own place we're talking about, here, this is eight to 10 hours spent bent double.

Goatee likes this.
  20. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Yep I feel rough the next day having spent a few hours bending down fixing a car, never mind actually doing proper work.

Goatee likes this.