1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

No, let's things unwind slowly, lets get a grip on how the vaccines are working in the wild, let's get more time to get more people vaccinated, let's ship all of those refusing the vaccine to a cold isolated island.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I agree with all off this, except that post-Brexit they're already on a cold, isolated island...

3. oscy

oscy Modder

You started with 'no', but your reply concurs with mine.

Unwind slowly by allowing people to see one other person indoors, then 2, etc. then allow schools, pubs, masseuseseses, all that close-contact large-group crap... not open schools immediately and say you can meet 1 person in a park, but wait 1.5 months then suddenly you can meet in a house, but meeting on a sofa is on the same risk tier as opening restaurants.

4. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I thought you were angling for a quicker release from lock-down, not arguing over the order of permitted activities.

Schools first, then slowly let people start to mingle, see what the transmission rate does, then larger groups of people, then pubs etc.
    All of course with the panic button ready and waiting is the rates spike at any point / delay opening up further freedoms etc.

Long story short, no matter what route the government take it'll be hated by at least half of the population, well tough titties, more than half the population have proven they can't be trusted to act sensibly so will need to suck it up.

5. oscy

oscy Modder

I'm not sure it's ever really been about hating what restrictions there are, but being exasperated at the lack of logic (and having the criticism confirmed when the people setting the rules ignore them themselves). The leaked rules say:

2 people meeting - low risk
    2 people meeting but surrounded by a fence - high risk, needs over a month before we're prepared

Those fences are superspreaders.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Aren't the current restrictions surrounding the purpose of the meeting - i.e. two people can, as you've said, meet in a park, but purely for the purpose of exercise? If so, you're creating a strawman there: there's a bigger difference between "meeting in the park for a socially-distanced jog during which you're constantly moving into fresh air" and "sitting completely still next to each other on a garden bench" than the picture you've painted.

(Yes, yes, if there's a decent breeze then sitting next to each other in the garden should be exactly as safe as jogging in the park, but I feel adding "you can meet socially in your garden providing the wind speed is greater than 12 knots" is going in the wrong direction in terms of complication...)

MLyons likes this.
  7. oscy

oscy Modder

"Picnic" has been a word I saw in all 3 of the articles I read e.g.:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56148160

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...te-boris-johnson-schools-picnic-b1802068.html

8. Gareth Halfacree

Apologies, I thought we were discussing the current restrictions - which state: "You cannot leave home for recreational or leisure purposes (such as for a picnic or a social meeting)." (Source.)

9. oscy

oscy Modder

You're seriously playing dumb just to start an argument or score points? That or you're admitting honestly that you're that stupid that it needed specifying, in which case it's best you leave the discussion to us average-intelligence chaps.

And the 'post history insult' internet warrior tactic doesn't work when I make on average 2 posts a month in this thread, and my last posts have been 1) hopefully people stay hygenic after all this and 2) oh look, lockdown has caused rates to go down. Bombshell controversial statements!

10. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

no personal attacks devdoge_ban_purple.jpg

David, loftie and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  11. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

You're forgetting the most important point when making the above statement, aside from the fact these are just leaks for now.
    And that is people, people are and have demonstrated wonderfully how ignorant, selfish and generally stupid they are, one would hope that out in public they might conduct themselves accordingly, one might not believe the same restraint may be applied when in a private setting.

And, thinking of those less well off, how are people without gardens to react, how are those with no side entrances getting to these hallowed gardens.

Keep it small and open to start with before we invite the neighbourhood around for a BBQ

12. oscy

oscy Modder

Equally, there are people who can't go outside.

1 person isn't the neighbourhood around for a BBQ. There's less risk in a garden than allowing 2 people to have "a picnic" while strangers mill about. A garden v public is a difference of a few feet. Let's not play dumb, this restriction (allegedly) remains to keep a facade of "cautiously easing measures (TM)" rather than any actual effect.

There's reason to distrust others' 'common sense', however these are people not even following guidelines, so has no impact. Meanwhile, what helped a second wave - people following the rules by "eating out to help out" and partying in summer, or someone seeing their loved one in May? What made you think "you ignorant, stupid masses" more?

Last edited: 22 Feb 2021
  13. oscy

oscy Modder

Then follow my and others' example by moving along or contributing to the thread with an opinion or info, rather than trying to get the last word with a tactical reply as subtle as your previous 2. Just some advice.

14. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Sorry, but tough.

There's a greater risk that people will be less controlled and more prone to play hide the sausage in a private garden than when sitting our on a common / in a park, c'mon we've already had it proven that people can't be trusted to be sensible.

All of the above.

15. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Love it. Not sure how effective parma violet mjolnir which somone (probably Loki) has graffitied might be in actual combat though, be sure to bring a backup :grin:

16. oscy

oscy Modder

In that case, in reply to your complaint that some people don't have gardens you must equally say "sorry, but tough".

There's no greater risk because people who are doing that are doing that regardless of rules. If they're not trusted to be sensible, why are you expecting them to suddenly follow the rules now?

Especially when you now say we shouldn't have followed guidelines for half a year!

17. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I wasn't complaining about the lack of gardens, mine is lovely, can't wait to fire up the BBQ's and smoker, I was just querying that allowing people out in gardens which you suggested was short sighted and not the best approach to coming out of lock-down.

I don't expect the idiots to follow the rules, they're idiots, I only hope they're in the minority.
    The rules are there are for the guidance of wise men, with luck more people than not will follow them to the letter or at least in the spirit that they are intended so we can get back to some semblance of normal.

Long story short, the government has F'ed this up right royally, aided and abetted by idiots, dullards and simpletons complaining about the government, the rules, being confused etc etc etc.

If reasonable people behave reasonably it doesn't matter what the rules are, if it doesn't matter what the rules are but you behave in a manner to protect yourself and your family you can ignore the rules, if you're staying safe and ignoring most the rules there's no need to get your blood pressure worked up by listening to the government.

Sentinel-R1 likes this.
  18. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Boris reckons my bday is back on. Result.

Krikkit and Sentinel-R1 like this.
  19. oscy

oscy Modder

You said "thinking of those less well off, how are people without gardens to react, how are those with no side entrances getting to these hallowed gardens." in response to the suggestion we allow 2 people to meet in a garden as well as in a park. So your response to yourself is "tough"?

You said the reason people shouldn't be allowed to mix in a garden as well as a park is because of the risk of sex, and that "people can't be trusted to be sensible". Now you're saying they're wise?

As you think people with sense should just do what they feel is sensible, would it not then make sense to make it legal for people to be in a garden? Not because people are otherwise stopped from doing it, but so people won't be punished for doing it? I'm sure Boris doesn't really expect everyone to not see each other indoors until mid-May.

20. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

You suggested we should allow people to meet in gardens, I threw out a few reasons why they shouldn't, and yes if they haven't got one, tough.

Not just sex, people mingle in private spaces, have a few sherbets and forget about social distancing, get all touchy feely etc etc, go insiude and use the facilities.
    A lot can't be trusted, hence why I think it is a bad idea for the government to publish rules which allow it. I do however try to account for the sensible to be able to bend the rules.

No, hence why I don't think it should be in the official rules, I think those that can be sensible and safe should meet in their gardens if they wish, I do not think it should be officially allowed, and if those being sensible do get caught then tough they face whatever punishment they get.