1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Cryptocurrency

Discussion in 'General' started by MLyons, 6 Dec 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Nicehash mines whatever's the most profitable at any given moment, then automatically converts the rewards into Bitcoin for your payout - so right now all the GPU miners on Nicehash are mining Eth, but users are receiving Bitcoin. It's a neat system, but fees are high - and I left some at-the-time worthless crypto in an account which quietly disappeared a few months later when it became worth something and I went back to it...

2. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Yeah, my instinct says unless you are paid out into a wallet of your own its far too easy for it to disappear one day!

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Nicehash automatically mines whatever best on your GPU. It just pays in Bitcoin. I then transfer their payment out to Coinbase (free), which I can transfer into Paypal (high fee!) if I wanted.
    Obviously setting up your own miner gives highest payout.

I had about £20 when each BTC was $40k, sat on Nicehash while I stopped mining. It was still there when resumed mining. I don't view it much different to other exchanges (Binance, Coinbase are the ones I'm using). But then, I haven't got a lot of money in it.

On my 2080 Ti, I've not experienced any slow-down when using the computer while mining. I have even been playing Wii U emulator while mining during last weekend after lunch, with auto adjusted reduced power limits.

Just turning on PC and starting mining would likely cost you as cloud goes over or as you put on the kettle. But the level of automation depends on your home infrastructure. I installed an open source solar monitoring system (EmonPi), which comes with MQTT service, so my home automation and this mining helper program can hook onto it. Then my home automation handles waking up the computer and my helper program handles everything else from there on.

4. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

So everyone is ******ing away energy for a few bucks. Great. Our energy is finite. You realise this, right?

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The sun won't burn out for a few billion years, you know...

MLyons likes this.
  6. Fizzban

Yeah, but our ability to capture that energy is pitiful. It isn't an argument. And it won't be for decades bro. We barely make what we need globally and our need increases every year. And Fusion is decades away too.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Uranium won't burn out for... Hang on, I'm going to have to DuckDuckGo this one... 4.5 billion years. Huh. Longer than I thought, to be honest.

8. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

@Gareth Halfacree I’m using my desktop PC, with intensity at default -22 which pulls around 145w on a GTX 1080ti for about 32MH/s. I can work quite happily with a few browsers open, RDP etc. I get 45MH/s if I use the ETHlargementPill, power usage goes up to 245w

@Fizzban FWIW, I use Bulb as my energy provider and they’re 100% renewable electricity.

Last edited: 22 Feb 2021
    Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Just dropping in a reminder that there are plenty of crypto currencies out there that don't rely on power hungry mining in the first place.

wyx087 likes this.
  10. Fizzban

So pulling random facts makes it ok? Most worlds energy is still fossil fuels. Renewables is not currently enough to handles our demand. And answering with Nucular is a child's answer. We cant deal with the nucular waste we have now. It will take us century's to handle the waste we have TODAY. I don't care how much Uranium, we have. We are decades behind even handling the waste we have now..but you say its okay..coz you know all, right?

11. Gareth Halfacree

Yes we can.

12. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

If you think the ethics of things done for bitcoin are questionable you're gonna have a trip when you hear about the pound.

13. Fizzban

That was nothing more than an advert for what we can do. There was nothing about the millions of tonnes of waste many nations store on the surface because therey have no where to put it. You just showed me an advert.

14. Fizzban

Also what one country could do..does not a world make.

15. Gareth Halfacree

It's a lot more than you've provided to the discussion. You wanna cite, or you wanna pout? 'cos if it's the latter, I'mma save us both some time and pop you on "ignore."

16. Fizzban

I'm not here to educate. If you want to ignore me then do so. I will give you a small sample . If you think wasting power is great for future generations then be all means ignore me, coz I will have little respect left for you.

17. Gareth Halfacree

Hokey-cokey.

Back on topic, I still can't get things running smoothly with T-Rex in the background. Think this might be a Windows versus Linux thing, sadly.

18. Fizzban

Bye.

19. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

To be honest, I think the global use of energy for mining Bitcoin is absolutely horrific and is unquestionably A Bad Thing, but an individual in Yorkshire choosing to dabble in a bit of Ethereum mining on the side for a short while is just so many orders of magnitude smaller in impact that it doesn't even register.

Massive mining farms run on coal mined by slave labour is definitely bad. A forumite mining some coins is pretty much neutral in the great scheme of things.

Have you tried putting some better music on?

wyx087 and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Hmm.... How did we get started on this topic... Oh yes, that's right:

Presumably that 'spare solar power generation' is energy that would otherwise be pissed away doing nothing. If one dude can use the excess solar power they're generating to possibly make a few quid, how is that in any way a problem?

Our ability to capture solar energy isn't "pitiful", far from it - we're actually not far off the theoretical efficiency limits of 'traditional' photovoltaic technology. A bigger problem for renewable energy is storing the energy generated, but our battery technology is getting better all the time and there are ways of capturing and storing energy that don't require environmentally problematic rare metal mining.

The roadblocks to mass global adoption of renewable energy aren't technological or scientific, the roadblocks are driven by politics and profit.

boiled_elephant and wyx087 like this.