1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards USB 3.0 connectors really sucks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kim, 22 Feb 2021.

1. kim

kim hardware addict

I'm certainly not the only one who is disappointed about the overall design of the USB 3 socket, whether it is about this big unflexible cable, hard to bend, to flatten, worst to route properly, ended by this huge ugly female connector, or, about the position of the motherboard male connector itself, not always placed wisely...I already mention this in another log so I won't go further, but something really annoying happened to me not long ago, and even if the responsability certainly falls to myself, it also rests with this unflexible USB 3.0 cable :grr:
    I elaborate
    It happened with a previous build, I noticed this particular female connector was kinda hard to plug in, and even before flattening the wire against the tray, it was already applying tension to the motherboard connector... :eyebrow: well, I thought to myself that it would go through the time, as the client wasn't the kind of guy to dismount or even tink around with his computer, but during the build I had to remove it myself 2 or 3 times, I did it carefully every time, but may be one time too much, and the connector torned off from the MB :duh::wallbash:

[​IMG]
    I tried to put it back, but the holes of the connector were much too tiny to fit the 20 pins :sigh:
    I pulled my hair out to widen the 20 holes with a thumbtack, quite succesfully with patience, except 2 of the holes, that I widened a bit too much but even though...I wish motherboard designers will find a different way for USB 3 connectors, I'm pretty sure it's not so daunting with a little strech of imagination :worried: :naughty:

Last edited: 22 Feb 2021
  2. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

From what you say and what i see in the picture, your are fortunate that it was the plastic housing the came off and not the pins. Worst case you can install the cable without the housing. One more positive, as pin 20 is absent even without the plastic housing you can still know the polarity.

Agreed that they have not been well thought out. My first motherboard with a usb 3 header I was so excited. But the cable was to cumbersome and wouldn't fit. Try modding the cable, and failed. Ended up temporary installing the USB 2.0 to the front ports... Well nothing is more permanent than temporary. The computer still doesn't have USB 3.0 connected to the front and at this point never will.

And why are we still plugging ATX power, rest, status lamps with 1,2, 3 and or 4 pin DuPont connectors rather than a single polarised connector?

kim likes this.
  3. kim

kim hardware addict

Yeah :lol:, I've been lucky that any of the pins came off, prooving I'v been careful with putting it out, and I'm lucky as well that I managed to glue the housing back, it's invisible :cooldude:
    I agree that you can still plug on the cable without the housing, but bear in mind that it's a client build :grin:, I decently couldn't let it like that :blush:
    So we agree :grin:, they gotta do something to upgrade USB 3.0 to anything more practicle and give up with Dupont connectors too :hehe: