1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. oscy

oscy Modder

I said let people meet in gardens, you said "what about people without gardens?", I said "well equally what about people who can't go outside?", you said "tough", and now your own reply to your first point is "tough"... you've disagreed with your own point...

As for the rest... bloody 'ell make up your mind.

2. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I'm out, if you can't / won't grasp the concept then there's no more to discuss, you go back to blaming it all on someone else.

3. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

So 'the plan' appears to be for gyms to open a couple of days before my second jab is scheduled, at least it looks like I'll be good for the next massive spike in cases. I'm hoping against hope that if the current lockdown really does last all through March and vaccination keeps going we won't all be back under lockdown again by Augst, but it's only a hope.

4. oscy

oscy Modder

But you're the one blaming it all on everyone else... When projecting, you need to do it in the right context - who am I even blaming, and what even for?

I like that you say "the concept" rather than what the concept is, because you've u-turned so much that you forgot what your stance was supposed to be. Other than blame everyone else, those simpleton sheep masses! Wait, are you Boris?

5. loftie

loftie Multimodder

It's amusing that they've been banging out the line "we're being guided by data not dates" followed by a list of dates for stuff to change, maybe.

6. rollo

rollo Modder

I personally think the goverment is taking the stance of the at risk are vaccinated and it will be enough to prevent mass deaths.

we will then have to learn to live with covid

just cause Boris says you can invite 30 people around does not mean you have to follow it

people need to work out what they feel safe doing and go from there if June the 21st happens

about 90% of me thinks it will.

I will personally be waiting a little bit longer to indulge in the pubs and restaurants and will wait a lot longer for a holiday

7. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

8. oscy

oscy Modder

9. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

It will be having to hear them whinge about the amount of time it's going to take them to get refunds, or complaining about the butt hurt at the cost of a quarantine hotel.

10. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Stop
    Feeding
    The Troll.

11. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

But but but, I've never had my own one before :grin:

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  12. oscy

oscy Modder

Ignoring the troll.

Right now it's just you whinging about people booking holidays... whinging about other people... again...

13. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

This trolling is getting boring now. I'm all for healthy discussion but can we please dial back the playground nonsense? It just makes people disengage.

14. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

So vaccine passports, yay or nay?
    I'm on the fence but can believe they'll become a thing, I was always dead set against identity cards back in the day, and yet every time I leave the house I've got my driving license in my pocket.

It's going to get very messy.

15. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

It really does depend upon how they see them being used/useful. If done badly, it could be a horrendous human rights inpedence.

Private companies are perfectly within their rights to refuse to serve or remove a customer for (almost) any reason they deem necessary to protect their business, within the bounds of law of course - but I'm struggling to see the legality in refusing to serve someone who has opted not to take the vaccine, however foolish society may deem them to be. To be free is to have the freedom to choose how you live, and that includes the option of whether you take medicine, vaccines or anything else for that matter.

I feel the Govt will be treading on eggshells with this topic for a very long time. It's an absolute minefield.

16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

But... we're not free, by that standard.

We're not free to choose whether or not we pay taxes, nor on what our taxes are spent.
    We're not free to take goods from a supermarket without payment.
    We're not free to drive a car without having passed a test to receive a licence.
    We're not free to move in to any house we choose regardless of who owns it.
    We're not free to randomly start fires, or punch people in the face. (No matter how much they might deserve it.)
    We're not free to engage in grievous bodily harm, even with the permission of the receiving party.
    We're not free to randomly fly to foreign countries and live there, without a visa or passport.
    We're not free to take a wide variety of drugs, including several naturally-growing plants and fungi.
    We're not free to take an even wider variety of drugs unless a doctor says we can.
    We're not free to have sex with children or animals.
    We're not free to build houses wherever we want.
    We're not free to buy or build firearms without an appropriate licence.
    We're not free to be married to more than one person.
    We're not free to drink (in a pub, or to purchase alcohol), smoke, or gamble under the age of 18.
    We're not free to have sex under the age of 16.

And so on, and so forth. There are a whole mess of ways you could live that you're not free to do, even if we take the obviously-harmful stuff out of the above list.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  17. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Well, I would have thought that I wouldn’t need to add “within the bounds of law” to my statement but I fixed that for you:

To be free is to have the freedom to choose how you live within the bounds of law.

It is not illegal to refuse a vaccine though.... however, it may well be illegal to refuse to serve an unvaccinated person.

(for context, I’m pro-vaccine)

18. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

But the introduction of a government-backed "vaccine passport" would make it de facto illegal - or, at least, it would become legal to stop you doing a bunch of stuff if you don't have one, which is the same thing read backwards.

I'm not sure sure it shouldn't be illegal, to be honest. Yes, refusing medicine is a "freedom," but many of the laws which curtail our freedom are in place to protect the health and well-being of others - so why should refusing a vaccine be different to, say, burning tyres in your garden?

(The above applies only to those who could receive the vaccine but choose not to, obviously: there are those who literally cannot, either because they are likely to have an adverse reaction or they have a weakened immune system. We protect those people by ensuring that everyone who can have a vaccine does have a vaccine.)

19. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/flu-cases-covid-england-phe-latest-b1805124.html

Very interesting and likely to happen I would imagine.

Last paragraph worries me though. The whole argument unravels at that point.

If they can stop the flu, they can stop covid but as it'll always be around in various strains, there's no way to prep for it for future vaccines so you will ultimately get to a point where one year the vaccines are pointless and you have made death inevitable for a large portion of the population kick starting this whole cycle again.

Herd immunity in some form or other with a viral presence actually looks like the better option for both the public and the pharma companies.

Was Boris actually right in his original view? Big old can of worms to dive in to and discuss on this I think.

20. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I don't see an average shop on the high street demanding to see your papers before being served, they can't / won't / don't want to enforce the mask rules as it is, but travel companies, and maybe even service companies that come to your house may well do if it goes ahead.

Was a couple of business owners on the TV stating they would only hire new people if they could prove they had been vaccinated, I imagine that getting tasty.

Pedant hat on, and not wanting to go so far off topic or start trolling, but yes we are :eeek: