1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I don’t think that the Govt can or will make it de facto illegal to stop you doing certain things/refuse the jab because of National and International law. The Human Rights Act is far more complex than that and that’s just one piece of legislation were signed up to.

Nobody understands what the bounds of the passport will be yet; however, I’ll eat my hat if what you suggest transpires.

Edit: I don’t actually get a choice of whether or not I have the jab. It’s no jab, no job - but I’m ok with that.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Not in the UK we're not. Well, okay, we are for the former if you're talking about a very specific subset of firearms - I've a bunch myself. (Air rifles under 12ft/lbs, and air pistols under 6ft/lbs - and those two exemptions only apply in England and Wales, in Scotland you'd need a FAC. Not sure about Northern Ireland on that one.)

And marrying more than one person with an overlap - as in, a legally-recognised wedding, not just saying "you're my wife now, Dave" - is illegal under the Offences against the Person Act 1861. (That's for the UK and Wales; it's an offence in Scotland under the Marriage and Civil Partnership (Scotland) Act 2014, punishable by up to two years' imprisonment and/or a fine compared to seven years and/or a fine for the Offences against the Person Act 1861.)
    It's happened before: Australia introduced No Jab, No Pay in 2016.

Last edited: 24 Feb 2021
    boiled_elephant likes this.
  3. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Interesting about Australia. I think our Govts aim is to deal with it in a similar fashion to seasonal flu after the initial vaccinations though, and we don’t remove liberties for non-flu jab uptake, so....?

Your guess is as good as mine.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Aye, but we also don't fine people for leaving their houses during flu season - so we've already crossed the Rubicon in terms of what we're willing to legislate against to control SARS-CoV-2.

Sentinel-R1 likes this.
  5. veato

veato I should be working

I'm off to get a little prick in me at 1pm today.

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  6. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Yeah, it really is daft that air weapons (non FAC) are classified as firearms (sort of by association).

Getting a polygamous marriage in the UK is illegal as you state, however settling in the UK whilst in such a union is a little grey, certainly not illegal, difficult to achieve, but may still be recognised under UK law.

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN05051/SN05051.pdf

7. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

But, we are free to choose who we vote for, to make the rules we live by. Unlike some other countries.

8. Gareth Halfacree

The really daft part? One of the airguns I have is a CO2-powered pistol, available in two flavours: .177 lead pellets, and 6mm airsoft. One fires small metal pointy things you really don't want to get hit by at short range, the other larger plastic balls that are specifically designed to be fired at people without permanent damage. I was able to buy the .177 pellet version no questions asked; if I wanted the 6mm airsoft version, which I remind you is exactly the same except less likely to hurt someone deliberately or by accident, I'd have to prove active membership of a local airsoft ground with at least six visits under my belt.

One's an actual firearm by legislation; the other's a realistic imitation firearm. Really, really stupid reverse-loophole that effectively punishes anyone who wants the safer of the two models.
    Ooh, neat - I wasn't aware! I guess change "to be married" to "to get married" in order to have my point still stand.

Well, so long as your choice is either Conservative or Labour...

boiled_elephant likes this.
  9. Risky

Risky Modder

Got a call from the doctors and I'm booked in for a jab on Saturday afternoon. Fell better about being past 50 for once!

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  10. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

The choice may not be great but, it's your choice, you won't 'disappear' if you don't vote for the right candidate...

11. Risky

Risky Modder

Still no word on a jab for my mother. She lives in Ireland and their doing ok, compared to Europe, but it's still slow.

12. oscy

oscy Modder

Amazing how I've been here nearly a decade, this thread a year, other forums for longer, yet I'm suddenly now a troll that exists just to spite you. Conveniently, only after I swatted off your least subtle 'troll' tactic ever, and then committed the heretic act of taking the time and effort to discuss someone's viewpoint.

Yet while you and anyone insecure sees the opportunity to get revenge for this heresy by ganging up with insults, the closest thing to an insult I gave is a Boris 'protoplasmic' reference in what I thought was you being light-hearted, yet here you still are stringing it out with insults. My closest part in non-discussion is when the guy pretended he was done, and still I asked him to explain his logic.

If I was trolling, I'd be doing what you were doing, not talking to people. And you certainly would be blocked, but I presumed the ignore feature isn't a 2-way block. And yes I realise I've fully taken your needless bait.

13. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

You are probably reading too much into the idea of vaccine "passports".

Most likely vaccine "passports" will end up being nothing more than a receipt from your GP when you get the vaccine and then you show that at airports to bypass quarantine requirements with them having no use outside of that.

14. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

You can quite be comfortable and assume that I am not hung up on the word 'passport'
    But it'll be more than you suggest (if they get the go ahead), the card I got is signed by no one and could be printed on any colour printer in less than a minute.

15. oscy

oscy Modder

If my aim was to get a rise out of you, I would've already succeeded when you 'rose' earlier with petty behaviour never mind your bait now.

If I was trolling, I'd be making quick replies not adding anything like yours, rather than talking, giving reasoning and putting effort in for a minute or 3. Even now I'm giving you a chance just by engaging.

16. Gareth Halfacree

If you children don't start behaving, I'll turn this car around and there'll be no Cape Canaveral for anyone!

@oscy, @Mr_Mistoffelees: If you've truly reached an impasse, I can heartily recommend the Ignore option. My life has been dramatically improved since its liberal application.

17. oscy

oscy Modder

As I said, I would if it was 2-way block. Don't know if it is. If it's one, then it's pointless 'cause it encourages making such remarks without response.

Keep in mind you didn't moderate any of this, and I'm thoroughly disappointed. I'm all for relaxed moderating and know forum punishments don't do much, so even an admin or two's been moderated for arguing... but when there's clear trolling, baiting or outright personal attacks, that's when at least the posts should be deleted before anyone sees it and the person punished suitably. Otherwhise this puerile behaviour is encouraged, as with any bully who's ignored. Doesn't encourage participation from others, and makes the place look like Overclockers again.

18. Gareth Halfacree

You're disappointed... in me? Well, okay.

Let's try this a less subtle way: @oscy, @Mr_Mistoffelees, consider this a public and final warning to cease your tit-for-tat behaviour. Any further off-topic posts to this thread or others will result in a week's cooling-off ban.

Better?

19. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

A vaccine passport will be tied to your NHS record if it happens, I would expect. I can't see another way the data can be verified, reliably. Although - who knows!

Also - @oscy - disappointed that the conversation wasn't moderated is an interesting point. Two things I will say. One - I echo G's point about the ignore button. Use it - it's there for a reason. Two - if you've got the hump, PM an admin or a mod, and have a reasoned discussion about it. Don't go all schoolteacher and say 'I'm disappointed'; that runs the risk of alienating yourself from those from whom you are seeking help.

Anyway. FWIW, I'll be getting my vaccination when I'm invited, and I'm delighted that many of my relatives have already felt a bit of a prick. It's all steps in the correct direction.

20. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

All of my close family has been for their first dose, wife because of her work, mother-in-law due to health conditions, father-in-law age and my sister-in-law because she lives with her parents to help out so is classed as a carer.
    SIL was saying to me, as its just me left to go, that I should just go onto some website and say I'm a carer too and get bumped up the queue. I said I was unwilling to do that as its a lie and it has the potential to deprive someone more vulnerable, I'll just wait until its my turn. Four days later I haven't heard the end of it, kind of like anti-anti-vaxer, its a bit odd.