1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding trying to upgrade a Dell optiplex with a Ryzen

Discussion in 'Modding' started by kim, 27 Feb 2021.

1. kim

kim hardware addict

A friend asked me to build a PC, aiming only light desktop applications, no gaming, with the lightest budget possible, for his mom who is struggling with an oldie for a decade, :grin: a Dell optiplex 780 ...
    The challenge is that he asked me if it was possible to install the new hardware inside the Dell case :rollingeyes: and I said, well, it's possible I think :cooldude: :dremel: ... but if ever, it will probably need many transformations :hehe:
    So I started by gathering all the hardware, starting by a PSU that possibly could fit inside, and the only one I could find with this kind of form factor was a Be quiet TFX power 300w :eyebrow:, a bit light but I checked with the be quiet configurator and it looks like it can match the hardware I bought :
    - MSI B450I gaming plus AC
    - Ryzen 3 2200G
    - 16GB of PNY DDR4 3200 Mhz
    - Samsung 970 evo + 250GB
    I received all the parts this week, and he came by yesterday evening with the Dell case, and he asked me if I could add a 2TB Hard drive, and I said ...well, yes i think so :rollingeyes:, and if I was able to finish it before monday, and I said yes again but not sure 100 % :lol:

So the first thing was to strip the case and make some cutouts to fit the PSU, and I had to cut the tray to earn the necessary space, and the PSU fits if it's really against the side pannel...

[​IMG]

Other cutouts were necessary to place a motherboard tray, and on the back, I inserted a new I/O back-plate coming from an old ATX case, and it looks like it fits, as of now :happy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I found this old and sloppy usb tray and a USB 3.0 cable that fits inside... :rollingeyes: if I have the time I'll try to clean and put a layer of paint on the new parts but right now I must hurry to be sure that all the hardware can be crammed inside, or not...:worried:

[​IMG]

I think I can keep the DVD, if I manage to twist down a little more the PSU cables

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm going to have lunch now, to be continued this afternoon ...:happy:

Last edited: 27 Feb 2021
    Cheapskate and Arboreal like this.
  2. kim

kim hardware addict

Thank you Arboreal :grin: it's far to be clean and sexy modding but the challenge is only to hurry and to succeed in cramming everything inside before monday...:p:
    PSU is mounted...

[​IMG]

3. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

A good 'sleeper' build, older nondescript Dell on the outside, fresh Ryzen APU on the inside!

kim likes this.
  4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

That starved chip fan, though. :lol:
    Great work. The best thing you can do with a dell case is toss it. Be warned! Dell are notorious for non-standard wiring. Check the stock fans' wiring before cranking them up.
    Yes, they even cross-wire fans. :eyebrow:

kim likes this.
  5. kim

kim hardware addict

Yeah :hehe: that's exactly the point, she won't believe her sluggish Dell can run that fast :grin:

A starved chip fan indeed, I thought so but I'm limited by depth, and, believe me or not, I pre-installed Windows yesterday, it runs really silently and not heating over 42 C in idle...
    About Dells, I agree, the best place for it is the junk :happy:, but I'm not the one who couldn't part with it, :p:, customers are kings we use to say :lol:, but don't worry, there are no parts from the Dell kept, except the case and the DVD, I through away everything, including the fan, the one you see is a Noiseblocker blacksilent pro ultra slim kind :cooldude:
    I mounted almost everything, I need to craft something to mount the hard drive, to wire a connector for the DVD power, and then cut out a hole in the cover pannel above the poor CPU fan and screw on a grill :blah:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 6 Mar 2021
    Cheapskate likes this.
  6. kim

kim hardware addict

7. kim

kim hardware addict

Everything is installed now, I made a cable to link the DVD power, I mounted the hard drive with 4 standoffs screwed behind, added a starting button, the fan is linked to the MB, USB 3 works well, and the DVD as well, it's almost 4pm and I must deliver it so all the details that could be improved will stay untouched, but it works and it is meaned to be hidden under a desk so...
    [​IMG]
    I put a grill to let the fan breath

[​IMG]

The front is still dirty but well :rollingeyes:

[​IMG]

it's now a ITX ryzen build :hehe:

thanks for watching

Last edited: 28 Feb 2021
    Cheapskate likes this.