1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Decent Super wide for £800

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Plastic_Manc, 28 Jan 2021.

1. Plastic_Manc

Plastic_Manc Minimodder

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my monitor as a pre cursor to a new graphics card in a few months when you can actually buy one.

I currently have a 2070 and use an ASUS 2560x1080 29 inch ultrawide but now have a little more room to get something bigger. I'll be using it for work in the day (Excel, web based platform etc) but enjoy my sim racing amongst other game genre's.

I may be able to push the budget a little as work will pick up a portion of the cost, but would like to be in that ballpark so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Plastic

Last edited: 28 Jan 2021
  2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I guess you would be looking at the following:
    - 3440x1440 ultrawide same aspect as your current (or even wider?)
    - 144hz refresh rate
    - IPS
    - adaptive sync, at least Freesync premium and G-sync compatible
    - some level of HDR?
    - curve?
    - anything else? USB-C laptop support?

I'd also be interested in what you end up with. Currently a 10 year old Dell U2711 2560x1440 60Hz and thinking of upgrading.

3. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

I ended up plumping for a CJ791 since the refresh rate was good enough for me (40-100Hz) and it works as a Thunderbolt 3 hub (incl. charging my laptop - not that it moves around much these days!). It comes down to ~550 on sale fairly often (https://pricespy.co.uk/computers-accessories/monitors/samsung-c34j791--p4837099/statistics). I couldn't really see any options for a step up at the time without spending double that.

I had been looking for an IPS screen, but more reading suggested that Samsung's VA panels are much brighter than the ones others use, achieving better colours but worse blacks/backlight bleeding than a typical VA. I'm happy with it.

If you're looking for a monitor arm you might also need to budget in a meaty (expensive) one. While my old one was rated for the weight of the new screen, it couldn't hold it in practice, presumably because the curve and mount shift the weight of the screen forwards.

4. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Keep an eye out for the Samsung Odyssey. It can be had for £899 at times. A little expensive and above budget but.. 5120x1440 and 49" 2ith 120hz... Madness.

5. Plastic_Manc

Plastic_Manc Minimodder

The Odyssey G9 looks fantastic but is very expensive! I'm thinking it might be worth saving the extra and go with 1440p (thinking 5120 wide) as not looking to change it for years and would hate to feel that I should have saved a bit more and gone that route.

The 2070 will chug hard I'd imagine at that resolution but would only be for a few months. I'm not considering an arm for the moment. I have a good one on my current panel but it needed tightening really hard to not droop so it certainly wouldn't hold anything much bigger. My desk is quite deep so shouldn't struggle too much.

I wouldnt need any USB C or any other connections, they always seem to come at a large premium for what my needs are.

Edit: In terms of connections, I'm actually now confused as didn't know that hdmi, displayport etc have different resolutions and refresh rates they can handle.

Last edited: 29 Jan 2021
  6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

7. Plastic_Manc

Plastic_Manc Minimodder

Hey,

Just thought I'd update on this. Due to prices fluctuating all over the place as I was saving up, I didn't make a fixed decision and at the time of having the money, the Samsung G9 was well priced.

So having set it up today, all I can say coming from a 2560x1080 29" is wow. Haven't done any gaming yet but the kids played Minecraft for an hour earlier and that looked fantastic enough. I saved RDR2 that I bought a little while back so will be starting that over the rest of the weekend. Really happy with the purchase so far.

[​IMG]

Thanks,

Plastic

Arboreal, spolsh and Bloody_Pete like this.