1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Nvidia 3xxx series thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Crapman, 6 Jun 2020.

1. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

lol that's what I paid for it!

Would still be unheard of to have a GPU 3 years and break even.

2. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Looked at a GPU profitability calc for Ethereum the other day. A Radeon VII is second to only a 3090, so it looks to be completely dependent on memory bandwidth. Anything with 'fast' GPU memory is going to be in high demand for a long time (or until a price correction happens). But when you can clear up to $5 a day mining, even accounting for 'normal' electricity costs its no surprise they've been snapped up.

3. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

A single 3090 can get you in that region of £5 / day at the moment using a pool.

4. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Anyone else reminded of the siege of King's Landing by all this?

Except, y'know, instead of calories it's framerates.

kim likes this.
  5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

7. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Aye. What is OCUK paying for that card and what's their margin? Sad thing is that it'll sell at that price.

8. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Just had a look at crypto values. Interestingly, all the ones I checked - BTC, BCH, LTC, ETH - all started dipping around the 20th of Feb. Hopefully the trend continues.

adidan likes this.
  9. boiled_elephant

If it dips far enough to undercut the profitability of mining under current VGA prices it'll be kinda hilarious. Half the world buying up all the high end cards at hugely inflated prices, counting on making the money back mining - only to have the bubble burst and to have to sell the cards on for a huge loss.

I know it's unlikely but we can dream.

10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

If memory serves someone uploaded 28,000 BTC to an onlike market place and moved it to loads of wallets, so people got spooked thinking a major dump was coming. Thats $1.5 billion FYI.

VipersGratitude likes this.
  11. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Just asked ebay what the GPU in my sig is worth there. Apparently still north of £300 for a card that cost me $603 on holiday in California in 2016.

12. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

Keep an eye on the second surge of GME. It could have exactly this impact if* BTC/ETH are dumped to cover shorts.

13. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

Well it would for me, considering I'm trying to build from scratch right now and anything would be an gaming upgrade from an Intel iGPU. But at least going Intel would give me a usable PC - AMD APUs are massively overpriced right now, the Zen+ 3200G is $186 rather than $100 - and any other Ryzen CPU needs a GPU to pair with it unless I'm willing to accept remote login only.

I could go 2nd hand but even that market is insane right now.

I guess I could salvage the GTX 610 from my HTPC or the 750TI from my 2008 gaming rig with Win XP/7. But then there's the matter of shipping it 4000 miles and with the way things are right now I wouldn't be surprised if a scalper tried to nick it in transit considering current prices.

The main problem last week was Nvidia coming out with the $329 RRP for the 3060 only for the cheapest model to be $389, simply too close in price to the 3060TI that I actually want and being patient enough to wait. I think the scalper groupthink has moved to retailers and possibly to Nvidia itself (and I won't be surprised if AMD follow, they'd be foolish not to maximise profit when the opportunity presents itself).

14. boiled_elephant

Are you UK? I have something in my office - I think it's 750 Ti ish - that I don't use. Happy to help if gaming is a big hobby and your kit is that dire.

adidan likes this.
  15. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

No, he's in the USA, and some of his kit is in storage in the UK. Location seems to be California.

16. boiled_elephant

A traitor to the Crown!

The card I have going spare is only a 560 Ti anyhow, so it wouldn't have been revolutionary. It barely runs vanilla Skyrim.

17. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

I'm in the USA but the only thing I have up for grabs at the moment is my 1000 year old 4890

Could be worse in 2017 I bought a 1050 for 175$ and I just recently snagged a almost unused one for 90 (sigh)

18. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Booooo..... I think my £503 rtx 2080 Ti is dying. Luckily according to their serial number checker, it's still in EVGA 3 yr warranty. So I've Emailed them (their webform isn't working for me) request for "advanced RMA" (meaning they take money from me and ship replacement to me first, then refund me on completion).

I was experimenting with memory overclock a couple days ago, noticed online people were getting +800 MHz whereas I can only get +400 MHz. No biggie, I lost the silicon raffle. Returned to run at stock or reduced power limits all the time. But then last night HL Alyx crashes the moment a level finishes loading. So today I investigated by running artifact scanning tools and found loads of artifacts.

At -400 MHz (underclock) on the memory, no artifact and benchmarks run smoothly. At -200 MHz, the MSI artifact scanner would pick up loads of artifact. At factory stock, it would crash.

Quick search seems to reveal early Micron variants are prone to failure.

Downside of buying older second hand.

edit: Now games still crashes and artifacts with -500 MHz downclock, this is the limit on Afterbuner slider :(

edit2: EVGA advance RMA is not available to second hand buyers, only standard RMA :(

Last edited: 4 Mar 2021
  19. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Managed to get a 3080FE ordered from Scan last night... and woke up to a cancellation email effectively accusing me of being a scalper :miffed:

Customer Service don’t know why the order was cancelled, and can’t see any reason it should have been, and can’t do anything about it. But did tell me it probably means I won’t be able to order one in the future as I’ll have a record of having ordered one already :wallbash: A really good way to ‘get cards in the hands of gamers’. Oh well.

20. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

What a pain in the nuts.

BeauchN likes this.