1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Help needed

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Ryu_ookami, 4 Mar 2021.

1. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

HI all I'm not sure if this should be posted here or in the hardware section so I'll post here and if it needs to be moved hopefully a mod would be kind enough to move it.

I'm playing rust but i seem to be stuck with between 60 and 75 fps even with everything set to low

I think i need to upgrade my CPU and/or Graphics Card but I'm unsure which to replace first to give me the greatest fps increase my specs are below as taken using speccy. so any advice would be appreciated :)

Summary

Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz 26 °C
    Haswell-E/EP 22nm Technology

RAM
    48.0GB Unknown @ 1066MHz (14-14-14-32)

Motherboard
    ASRock X99 Extreme4 (CPUSocket) 24 °C

Graphics
    BenQ GW2470 (1080x1920@60Hz)
    L204WS (1680x1050@60Hz)
    VX2458 Series (1920x1080@144Hz)
    4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (MSI) 23 °C

Storage
    1863GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 (SATA ) 34 °C
    149GB Western Digital WDC WD1600BEVT-60ZCT1 (SATA ) 28 °C
    223GB ADATA SU650 (SATA (SSD)) 46 °C
    119GB ADATA SX6000LNP (Unknown (SSD))
    7452GB Seagate Backup+ Hub BK SCSI Disk Device (USB (SATA) ) 41 °C
    74GB INTEL SS DSA2M080G2GC SCSI Disk Device (USB (SATA) (SSD))

Optical Drives
    No optical disk drives detected

Audio
    NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Upgrade your graphics card, the 1050Ti wasn't the best card when released. Having said that, the graphics card market is completely crackers at the moment so I'd suggest waiting, or being incredibly quick if you see a decently priced one.

What's your budget?

boiled_elephant and Hex like this.
  3. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

1050Ti is your issue there. As noiz says, GPUs are rocking horse poop-rare at the moment, so you either need to get in on a drop at somewhere like Scan/Currys/whatever or wait.

4. Ryu_ookami

not sure on budget depends on what I need to spend with the market as crazy as it currently is I have no idea on what would be a reasonable budget I mean I just checked the price of the 1050ti on eBay thinking i could add 50 or 60 quid by selling that and the bloody things selling from between 130 to 190 quid thats ridiculous

Last edited: 4 Mar 2021
    Omnislip likes this.
  5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

If you can avoid upgrading your GPU in any way shape or form, then don't upgrade it at the moment.

If you spend over the odds now for a smallish upgrade (say for example a GTX 1660) you'll just end up with mountains of buyers remorse down the road.
    On the other hand any half decent upgrade (say for example a RTX 2060 Super) will be in a different universe from the budget.

I'd recommend digging through your Steam library backlog of old / less demanding games instead for something else to play.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  6. Ryu_ookami

budget would be about £400 at the most

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

With a bit of patience you might be able to sneak in a used 1660TI for £400 and yes, it would be a approx twice as fast.
    But that card launched at like £250 back in 2019
    so I really can't recommend paying the current rip off prices for it...

8. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Having a quick look on youtube, the two videos I've (briefly) watched suggest you should be getting higher FPS with a 1050Ti, but not by much.

I would probably suggest it's the GPU, but I noticed the RAM speed looks quite low IIRC. So that might be having an effect.

I'd test by dropping the resolution and seeing how much of an FPS increase you get.

9. Ryu_ookami

I've not had a chance to watch the videos yet I'll do so later after some sleep

Not sure about the ram speed but its set at whatever the default is as nothing on the system has been overclocked (to be honest I wouldn't know where to start :p) I tried dropping the resolution and there was no change though so I'm assuming it's a new gfx first :( I'll probably wait until the world stops going insane on the prices unless i can get a decent deal somewhere

10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Whatever you do, don't sell your current, working graphics card until you've got the new graphics card in, working and happy with everything.

£400 should be able to get you a RTX 3060 going by MSRP. If possible, wait until the supply issue is resolved and prices return normal. Analyst think you may need to wait until next year for supply issue to be resolved though.....

Alternatively, if you want to do something now, upgrading the CPU in preparation won't hurt. But just keep in mind it won't make much difference to your FPS.

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Default-default, or XMP default? 'cos default-default on my desktop tries to run my 3000MHz RAM at 2044MHz...

12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Try some simple stuff like disabling SMT, see if it is one of those games that doesn't like false threads

13. Ryu_ookami

no idea it turned up in a box i plugged it in and turned it on default :)

14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'd have a look in the BIOS if I were you: if you switch to an XMP profile, you might find you get a speed boost at zero cost.

loftie and Hex like this.
  15. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Shouldn't be your GPU - though as I said before, you're probably approaching the limit of your GPU too. Those two vids are showing them play with medium settings at 1080p using a 1050Ti and getting roughly what you get on low.
    If you dropped the resolution the game should be easier on your GPU, giving you higher FPS, to me that implies something is holding it back (unless other GPU issues i.e. heat/it's busted etc etc).

I don't have an Nvidia GPU, so I don't know what program the vids are using to show GPU usage (is it afterburner?), hopefully someone else can chip and suggest something, then at least you can see if your GPU is maxing out.

Either way, if you want it to look prettier, and have more FPS, you're looking at replacing the GPU anyway, but as @wyx087 said, don't sell your GPU until you have a replacement. And GPU prices are kinda ****** at the moment.

16. Ryu_ookami

yeah I'll wait until the gpu prices drop aga1in and I've dropped almost every setting in the game to low or off doesn't seem to matter what the settings are though I always get the same sort of fps. To be honest I'm almost certain its just the gfx hitting its max and a newer gpu would enable to increase the render distance which would help inprove my pvp success rate so a waiting I will go :)

17. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

What game(s) are you having trouble exactly? Different games behave differently to settings.

Ah I see:
    60+ is already considered good, perhaps CPU is the bottleneck here?

18. sandys

sandys Multimodder

sounds like GPU is not a problem if settings changes make no difference, it is another system or game bottle neck, how much to do get back dropping resolution?

Last edited: 6 Mar 2021