1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Cryptocurrency

Discussion in 'General' started by MLyons, 6 Dec 2017.

1. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

With T-Rex, the Miner batch files are pool specific, eg: ETH-nanopool.bat, where it needs to contain your wallet address, worker name, email address and x is default password (used to set pool payout settings after you've connected and got a few shares).

Code:
    t-rex.exe -a ethash -o stratum+tcp://eth-eu1.nanopool.org:9999 -u 0x***rest of ETH wallet address***.workername/whatever@mail.com -p x 

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

The daily energy demand is a duck curve with more and more solar PV installs. During peak sunshine production, using that electricity locally is more beneficial to everyone than feeding back to the grid and get the grid to deal with it on top of all other solar productions.

The issue with fossil fuel produced electricity is only an issue during sharp incline on the duck curve for peak demand. During low demand, the electricity often comes from nuclear (as base level generation) or renewables (wind at night). Octopus Agile sometimes even pays people to use electricity because the grid is over supplied, due to uncontrollable nature of renewables. So matching usage to renewable generation is ideal use of renewable energy.

Last Sunday was not too sunny, but here is my usage graph, showing my mining helper program attempting to match usage to generation. (most notable 9:30 to 10:00 and 13:00 to 14:00)

[​IMG]

3. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Is that a Sunday lunch I can see cooking in the oven?

loftie likes this.
  4. wyx087

Haha, yes it is.

loftie likes this.
  5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Okay, this is strange: I've been alternating between two T-Rex modes, one for when I'm using the PC which gets about 33MH/s and one for when I'm not which gets 38MH/s, because the default mode was causing lag.

I came back from lunch with the desktop still running in the default 38MH/s mode... and there's not a hint of lag. Not a tiny bit. Smooth scrolling all the way.

I mean, I'm not *complaining*, but I am now very hesitant to kill T-Rex in case it comes back laggy again...

6. B1GBUD

I've had similar things happen in windows, if I open some webpages or Teams for example. With T-Rex set to intensity -22, I see the power usage increase and thus temperature yet the hash rate stays the same. I can achieve a similar hash rate if I set intensity to -17 at a much reduced power draw & temperature.

7. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Quick question, after some testing using t-rex I can get a comfortable 50 MH/s linked to nanopool. However the minimum payout is 0.2 ETH on nanopool which - based on 24 hr mining is like the best part of a year (unless i've miscalculated it).

Seems like to 'cash out' with daytime mining would take an age. What is peoples approach to this?

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You can reduce the payout to 0.1 ETH, or as low as 0.05 if you're willing to cover the gas. At 0.1, it should take you somewhere between one and two months to get a payout.

Spraduke likes this.
  9. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I'm waiting for a new case and so will be doing a full waterloop rebuild at that point. My new 3090 is without a home until that point, so I have created a franken rig of spare parts to allow a bit of a dabble in mining in the meantime.

Using Nicehash's NHOS on a USB drive, I have had it up and running quickly and its looking like I should be getting around £5/day after accounting for electricity costs at current crypto prices.

Last edited: 28 Feb 2021
    wyx087 likes this.
  10. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Ahh nicehash - got "hacked" when BTC was high, and repaid over the course of 2 years when BTC value was through the floor, scammers.

11. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Is there a way to directly limit GPU power consumption in t-rex or is it just best to set a lower target hash rate or GPU temp. I've left the intensity on auto but guess that would be another way of limiting power with trial and error. Seems odd to have a GPU power output but no way of setting a max (given that's the primary cost associated with mining).

Edit: Seems that nvidia SMI will give me this ability but haven't yet tested myself.

Last edited: 1 Mar 2021
  12. B1GBUD

MSI Afterburner is the one you're after, set it to user mode and have a play, you'll find ETH responds well to an overclock on memory, you can dial back the power little by little till you're happy with the efficiency..

Spraduke likes this.
  13. wyx087

Yep. 2 ways to limit GPU power:
    - "nvidia-smi --power-limit=150" sets GPU power limit to 150w. Useful if you want to fine tune power limit according to solar production.
    - MSI Afterbuner achieves the same thing using the power limit slider. But it only saves 5 profiles, enough for normal overclocking but not enough for fine tuning on the fly by a script.

Afterbuner also allows you to do overclocking. It's a feature locked not available on Geforce cards for nvsmi.

I've also found undocumented feature where you can apply Afterbuner profiles via calling Afterbuner in command line
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\MSIAfterburner.exe" -Profile4

Spraduke likes this.
  14. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Thanks both, useful info. I've already setup a webscrapper for reading my solar production (boo no API) but just need to do the stop/start of the mining along with power adjustment.

Edit: Just shortcut this by using MSI afterburner and seems I can get away with 50% power limit, +900Mhz on memory (at least over 5 min test) which makes the card near silent at approx 60C.

Draws around 110w (so probably 150ish for whole system) and generates 50-55 Mh/s. Even if I assume I pay for the electricity that clears plenty of profit a day.

Never did the numbers before but now I can see why there is such a run on gfx cards at the moment!

Last edited: 2 Mar 2021
    Goatee and wyx087 like this.
  15. Gareth Halfacree

Had a play with overclocking/underpowering on GreenWithEnvy here: got my RTX 2080 running at 130W limit, 900MHz memory overclock. Drops power draw to just under 130W (216W at-the-wall with the monitor off, according to my UPS - but it doesn't read to-the-watt, so there's wiggle room in there), gets me about 42.5 MH/s. Happy with that!

(Tried 1GHz on the memory, but it crashed.)

EDIT:
    Switched from schedutil to conservative governor, and got down to 201W at-the-wall with no impact on performance.

Last edited: 3 Mar 2021
    Goatee likes this.
  16. B1GBUD

17. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Would be a shame if owners where to .. you know ... mine any of the hundreds of other coins available. That would surely piss off nvidia!

18. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Considering there has been about 27 contradictory rumours regarding the 3080TI I wouldn't put too much stock into this particular one.

19. Gareth Halfacree

This is annoying: I had everything running perfectly, with T-Rex running in the background but Firefox being completely responsive. Updated Firefox... back to laggy herky-jerky again. Tried disabling Firefox's hardware acceleration, didn't make a scrap of difference.

Wonder what's going on?

EDIT:
    Aha, it was actually the *opposite* problem: forced hardware compositing and I'm back to full buttery-smooth performance. Noice.

Last edited: 9 Mar 2021
  20. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder