1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Great... if you're the one receiving money for a half thought out system.

2. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Charge a huge amount of money, spend as little as possible, fail to deliver the goods or services required, get rich on tax-payer's money. Is that not what all government contracts require these days?

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Apparently Serco Fail to Track and Don't Trace is getting another £15bn thrown at it. £37bn total.

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

But the NHS gets a below inflation 1% pay rise. Possibly.

Priorities, I guess.

5. Mr_Mistoffelees

All this needs to be remembered at the next general election.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

A sorry sight seeing the EU going all Trump with Italy and soon possibly France blocking vaccine shipments to Australia.

In other news, the multi-billion pound track and trace only took 6 days to find the Brazilian variant and the NHS workers get a 1% reward...

The world is properly messed up.

8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

So... He lied to the public, lied to the Queen, lied to parliament, and he awards his chums multi-billion pound projects.

How many of you want to put money on our next government being a Conservative majority again?

9. Mr_Mistoffelees

I would. Last budget before election and, Ooh! tax cuts, ooh! spending promises, must vote for the Tories.

We must not forget, we must not forgive.

10. loftie

loftie Multimodder

While this seems bad on the face of it, IMO it's a good idea. Australia has handled covid well, europe has ballsed it up, so I'd imagine the vaccine will have a bigger impact here than there for the moment.

11. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

More like, KEIR STARMER WILL EVICT YOU FROM YOUR HOUSE AND GIVE IT AND YOUR GRAND DAUGHTER TO BROWN SKINNED ASYLUM SEEKERS.

To be honest I'm surprised it's taken EU states this long, they pumped billions into these companies for development, they signed contracts early, the companies aren't delivering the numbers they promised, but they are still somehow able to export out of your country. Imagine the pre-EU days of the Revised Fascist State, Astrazeneca employees would be needing armed guards after their higher ups decided the contracts were 'statements of best intent' and not contracts.

It's not exactly a flattering look but it's not unexpected, I don't imagine Boris, Trump or even Biden would do anything else faced with a supply shortage.

adidan likes this.
  12. Mr_Mistoffelees

That as well!

13. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

That is a fair point, it got me thinking when my Aus mate said it would help them more if the northern hemisphere sorts themselves out as apparently Aus will be producing a million doses a month soon.

But yeah, I sometimes forget how much better it is elsewhere. Finland have only just gone a bit more strict, for example in the block where my OH's gran lives they've only just said members of the public can't use the cafe there.

They're still waiting for vaccine delivery mind.

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

While it may well be a good idea to give vaccine priority to worse hit countries there will be long term damage to international relations and it will provide a boost to right wing isolationist politics.

Mr_Mistoffelees and adidan like this.
  15. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Definitely, they need to smooth things over, or at least try to smooth things over as quickly as possible. But from a purely numbers side of things, the more people have it in a concentration, the faster it'll spread, the faster it spreads the higher chance it changes causing issues with the vaccine itself.

I think from the EU side of things they should approach Australia publicly, apologise, explain that their house is on fire, and while Australia needs them too, they've done a much better job handling everything. And while the way they've handled it will more than likely come with a financial cost (though I doubt it'd cost more than the european approach), europe will help to cover that cost due to them having to prolong said measures after pinching their vaccines.

(if they've done the above, i've missed it)

16. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Waiting in line for a covid popup today, people in front discussing the ol' C19 and BoJo. Saying he's done a fantastic job, only really slipped up on the borders thing, opened up to help the economy, closed it down when he needed to.
    I came away with my first shot and the blues. :(

17. Mr_Mistoffelees

Ties in nicely with Nexxo's post about most people being dumb.

loftie likes this.
  18. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Indeed. While I feel the rollout has been a succesful, even if it did seem like the government gambled with the 12 week thing WRT pfiezer (though I'm not an expert), everything else seems to have gone pretty **** poorly.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  19. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Yep, if a firefighter sets your home on fire he ain't entitled to praise for saving your cat from said fire.

Mr_Mistoffelees and loftie like this.
  20. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Well the three of us that got stabbed yesterday all feel pretty ick today. I'm going to assume that's the nanobots spreading out into my system, attempting to pick up 5g control signals from the mothership :worried: :hehe: