1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays No Display - Help required

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by PcRookie, 11 Mar 2021.

1. PcRookie

PcRookie What's a Dremel?

Hi Guys, new member here needing some advice.

Yesterday during a bit of browsing my display went from PC to monitor. I've checked the cables, checked the monitor with another device, reseated the RAM and GPU. Nothing changed.

The PC is powering up, LED comes on, fans spin. My GPU is a Vega56, the Radeon letting still lights up red and the fans still spin on the card BUT the GPU tach which normally has a light on or more depending on load isn't coming on at all now. Another thing I've noticed is that even when booted up the Keyboard light doesn't come on now, I don't know if that means it isn't posting because neither my motherboard or CPU have an onboard GPU so I can't get any more information on what is happening.

Does anyone have any advice or idea as to what has happened?

2. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

Got another GPU to swap

3. PcRookie

Unfortunately no.

4. PcRookie

I've got a bad feeling it's the GPU, but I'm praying it isn't. The prices are rediculous right now.

5. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

When you say your "display went", what exactly happened? Did the PC just die or did you get an error?

6. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

My caps lock light usually at least flicks on when the unit is powered up initially - is this what's missing or do you mean RGB stuff? Otherwise (and I'm sure you thought of this already) but can you change the video output socket on the GPU and/or use a TV to test the box itself?

Probably worth popping it open and checking all cables, especially CPU 8-pin and cooler leads (but then I think those errors still give a POST screen) and that the GPU is fully in the socket. A knackered SATA cable to the OS disk would also still POST, so that's probably not it.

My only other suggestion would be to see if you can borrow a GPU from someone local or look on ebay for something REALLY cheap just to test with. I'll have a look downstairs later and see if I have anything lying around to send on as a loaner, but I think the only one I have is an old GTX 460 that from memory went the same way as yours may have done! Some of these ones are going for not very much though:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313&_nkw=gtx+460&_sacat=0

7. PcRookie

I didn't get any error. It went from having a display on the monitor to the monitor going to an amber light. Fans were still spinning, LEDs still on. When I switched it all off and back on again the monitor cycled through HDMI1, HDMI2 and VGA before going to an amber light, like it's not picking up any signal from the PC.

The caps lock light doesn't flick on at all so the RGB never comes on, meanwhile the mouse appears to get power and lights on. Would it be possible to use to motherboard speaker to hear the post beep/s and see if there is an error code?