1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Nvidia 3xxx series thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Crapman, 6 Jun 2020.

1. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Which was around the same price. Crazy times.

2. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

The Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price is just that; suggested. But, that can be a benefit, allowing retailers to sell below that point if they are willing and able to e.g. high volume retailers willing to take a smaller margin per unit in exchange for potentially shifting more units (and hopefully driving additional sales). But, pricing will always be governed by supply and demand and, while I agree the prices CCL are charging are bonkers, there is no legal requirement for goods to be sold at, or even near, MSRP. It is an individual's choice as to whether to pay a retailer's price.

It would be nice if everyone refused to pay those prices but, realistically, that's not going to happen. Partly, I agree with Meandmymouth that with very little margin on PC components reduced sales volumes mean retailers need to make more profit per unit to balance the books. But, in addition, there will always be people with enough money to pay whatever is being asked to get what they want, and they just won't care if it's unreasonable for everyone else.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

In ways it's not even as good as a 1080Ti. As I said, 2060 Super/2070 territory. When I got my 2070 I knew it would be slower than the TXP but I was just bored and it was cheap (£340 brand new).

In some instances it is a wee bit faster, but by far the most disappointing card of the range given it's the one every one will head for. *sigh*. I mean if I knew this card would be this toss I would have told every one to buy up the £300 2060s when they were around ffs.

The whole thing has just been a bait and switch. Make them sound cheap, then jack the prices. Good cop bad cop. Turing was blatantly expensive so most turned up their nose, these are just as expensive pound per perf and every one is falling over themselves.

4. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

Yeah i guess and all points taken from the others too. And as you say even on CCL you try to put one in your basket and everyone's snatched them up already. Consumer stupidity not that we will ever stop that. Im finding it tiring now and just want to get the bits n pieces i need without having my pants pulled down over the price , but as you say the market is what it is.

Sad state of affairs thats not going away in any hurry at all.

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I'm not even sure if its stupidity. Set it to mine nicehash when you're not using it and you'll make back all of the money in less than a year, I think thats now what people are forced to see. It is odd that Nvidia hasn't said 'sod it, I want in' and just jacked up the cost per unit they sell it for, because there will be VP's loosing their mine that Nvidia isn't profiting from this! But then they may fall foul of market manipulation laws, ect.

6. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

Bitcoin just hit £41099.82 ... were screwed .

7. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Until it crashes like last time!

8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Until it bounces back like last time...

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

If it dropped 80% right now it would still be worth more than it was a year ago, just saying.

10. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Both very valid points!

11. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Nvidia or not, if I were to be offered one of those cards, my build would be here now ;)

Scan have said and keep saying when I get updates that I might be offered a replacement card to the ASUS I ordered so if these founder editions are coming in, I should be offered one but I'm not - which is why I'm a bit miffed.

12. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

managed to source a AMD 7950 from a friend hopefully that will tie me over until all this crap stops.

13. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

That might be answered by what I` was told when my order for a FE card with Scan got cancelled. The customer service rep I spoke with said they don't actually take stock of the FE cards, they get shipped directly to the customer. If that is right, then they may not be able to offer you an FE as an option for a pre-built.

14. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Makes sense!

15. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

That's what I've now started doing. If you can't beat them then join them...

I'm trying to make the most of the current situation until the changes planned to Ethereum in July 2021 mean mining is no longer profitable.
    Hopefully I can at least make back the amount I had to overpay back in November to buy my one RTX 3070 in the first place (£650, vs. RRP of £469)...

16. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Some 3070s just went up on Scan; the cheapest was £650 and most expensive was £780...

17. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

3090s in the 1700-2000 range all sold within about 10 minutes. Insane.

18. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I recall CCL listed FTW3 Ultra 3090s for 2000 smackers about six weeks ago. That's an expensive graphics card.

19. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

:jawdrop:
    That's insane. Definitely not worth that much, and definitely not for mining!

20. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

You having a fugging laugh?

I spoke to Scan sales 3 hours ago and was told all incoming stock was allocated to pre-orders. She made a point of saying there would be no stock to go up on the site!

Im not looking for a 3070, I'd be interested in a FE 80 or 90, but I'm bloody annoyed with Scan (again).