1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete Project - Tranquillum

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by TerHorstCustoms, 10 Feb 2021.

1. TerHorstCustoms

TerHorstCustoms Minimodder

Thanks :) I'm trying to not forget to take pictures while doing the work :lol:

Took 6 tries to get right but it worth it :clap:

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

This is looking like another really cool case mod. Like how you've made cut outs for the front io and other stuff on the bottom of the motherboard. Quite a big oversight on the case that there's next to no space for these. You can just squeeze a fan header through the bottom, but you've no chance with a usb3.

TerHorstCustoms likes this.
  3. dan297

dan297 Modder

I had no issues at all in my build. It is tight, true. But possible. You need to do it before you install custom floor covers, while you can still bend things a little.
    After you have installed something rigid to the floor, that may even stick out a few millimetres it is a different matter though.
    Then you can still loose the mobo tray screws on the rear a little and lift up the entire tray to push the USB3 through. There is still enough space for the cables...

4. TerHorstCustoms

Thank you sir! The front IO was one of the first this I wansnt really happy about when I watching reviews. The rest of the case looked great and it is but as you sad its quite the oversight.

Yea this can work but if you have like USB3.0 header at the bottom of board like me it isnt gonna look nice the facotry way. Since the cable as to make a loop on top of the plasic covers before it can go back and down behind the mb tray.

5. dan297

dan297 Modder

That is true. In a black case it doesn't matter so much, I can hardly see the cable through the tinted window.
    But in a white case like yours, it is an entirely different matter.

In any case, you solved this issue quite well :thumb:

6. TerHorstCustoms

Yea black cases makes it a lot easier to hide stuff :lol:

7. TerHorstCustoms

New monday means new updates :)

Started with making the final small custom part. to clean up the motherboard IO cover. Since this will leave a empty blank slot once the mono block will be installed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Testfitting with the vinyl stencil to make sure it all lines up correctly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Part all sanded and ready for some paint.
    [​IMG]

The same work was needed for the cover that will go right of the motherboard in the front. In addition I also added some rgb strips in this part. These will be used to light up the logo once all installed in the system.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Before it was time to paint all the parts the led strips needed power to get from somewhere. For this I chose to make my own splitter with all the wires to perfect length.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next up was something that I had never done before. Wrapping a pump reservoir combo.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The first quick light up test :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheapskate, Jean R built and Canardwc like this.
  8. Yargen

Yargen What's a Dremel?

Looking great, but man, you really need to resize your fotos...I´m having load times with a 500mbps connection and thats saying something.

A piece of advice though: I would file the cutouts in the metal more, it´s not like someones going to see them, but it´s just not clean work :)

9. TerHorstCustoms

I need to find a different photo host. All photo's are downscaled to 1080p. Expect the res when its leds one. Need really seeing the point in doing a buildlog in 480p

Its correct that big cut out needs work with the file and paint but there is no point doing that before all other custom parts where done. They are all made now so the case join them for painting :)

Yargen likes this.
  10. Yargen

Yargen What's a Dremel?

I use abload.de for my...uploads ^^ It really works nice and smoothly, downscaling and everything ^^

11. TerHorstCustoms

Its not monday yet but an early buildlog update is never wrong :)

This week was all about doing the final painting work for the build. It all started with some base coats in white. These are used to let the led light bounce through the parts.
    [​IMG]

And got followed up by a few grey coats to hide the led strip in side.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a few coats of white or black depending on the part to finish them. The letters on the small black cover aren't perfect and need some small touch up work. But that is something next week.
    [​IMG]
    During the check big logo panel I also had some bad news. The paint didnt block the light good enough :sigh:
    [​IMG]

To give me some time to think about a solution for this problem I went of to finish the painting in the case.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then it was time to fix the logo painting issue. For this I went with wrapping the panel. First a layer of black on both sides.
    [​IMG]
    Followed up by white
    [​IMG]
    After cutting the logo out by hand again by tracing the painted logo edge it was time for the big test. Was it enough?!
    [​IMG]
    Yes it was :clap: Now it was time to mount the panel for the final time side of the case. For this I used 3M VHB tape.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On wednesday afternoon the replacement cpu from AMD got deliverd. Unfortunately the previous 5950x had to be send out from RMA due to WHEA error 10 (internal bus / processor) that it was giving with memoryspeed speed over 3000mhz in 1:1:1 mode.
    [​IMG]
    I'm happy to report the RMA proces with AMD was really pleased to do and only took 7 days in total. Send of the cpu 10th and on firday the 12th got the info that it had passed inspectiion and replacement unti was approved. This was send out on monday and deliverd on the 17th :)

Thursday and friday where used to finetune the memory setting for the system. It took quite some time but ended up with this :) Its frequency limted due to CPU limit. It can't do anyting over Fclk 1900mhz or it will go back to WHEA error 19 (internal bus / processor) from the moment is boots up.
    Passed 1 hour OCCT memorytest (30min SSE and 30min AVX2) with zero airflow on the dimms as well. While in the system it will get some airflow over the dimms and the case of most B-die that will make it even a bit more stable :hehe:
    [​IMG]

Now its waiting on the custom sleeved set I orderd form this build and some 3D printed panel combs. Once those are in I can start the final assembly for this build :)

Last edited: 22 Mar 2021
    GijsDeBeun likes this.
  12. TerHorstCustoms

Updates are slowing down a bit unfortunately but there is still a bit progress.
    Small IO cover is installed now.
    [​IMG]

And works as planned while using the leds from IO cover it self :clap:
    [​IMG]

Back side of the PSU shroud was a bit to open so that also needed to get a cover :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To allow this back side cover the extra glass panel on the back also needed a small tweak. Originally this platic part cuves a bit more toward the inside of the case but that has been made flush now with a small metal file.
    [​IMG]

The remaining thing I'm waiting on at the moment are the sleeved cables for the build. These have been orderd but take a bit of time to get. Hope to be able to show the end result soon with you all :)

Cheapskate and GijsDeBeun like this.
  13. GijsDeBeun

GijsDeBeun What's a Dremel?

Looking forward to the neat cable management!

14. TerHorstCustoms

Sleeved cables arrived :clap:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Monday its final assembly time :grin:

GijsDeBeun, MADPC and kim like this.
  15. TerHorstCustoms

16. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

That tubing run is beautiful.

17. TerHorstCustoms

Thank you Sir :) After many hours of looking at it to try figure runs out this came out of it.

18. Datulab

Datulab Human? AI? Robot?

Very nice, looking extremely clean front and back!
    Also, have to agree with Cheapskate that those tubing runs are very tasteful.

19. dan297

dan297 Modder

Lovely :thumb:
    Looks very aesthetic.

20. jacob leigh

jacob leigh What's a Dremel?

this looks incredibly clean. the back is just outstandingly tidy.
    do you mind saying what cable combs you used that connects the cables to the back of the motherboard tray?
    cheers