1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Cryptocurrency

Discussion in 'General' started by MLyons, 6 Dec 2017.

1. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

What annoys me a bit, is the way some leccy suppliers would have you believe that you are actually getting power down the line from renewable sources only, even though all it means is that your money goes to generating companies using renewable sources and has no influence over the actual source of the power you receive. I did on the other hand, deliberately choose Bulb because they are funding renewable sources.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Isn't voting with your wallet literally the only influence we can have over the actual source of power we receive?

wyx087 and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  3. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

That, and actual, you know, voting...

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Nah, that never works. Now, voting with your wallet by bribing... err, lobbying members of Parliament, that's a fish of a different colour.

MightyBenihana likes this.
  5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Or just install your own renewable generation ;)

adidan and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  6. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

The problem is, af far as I can tell, what's currently happening when you get a "renewables" tarriff is your energy supplier is just buying some certificates from some renewables operator. There's no difference to what's actually being prooduced, and there's not much financial incentive because there aren't enough renewables tariffs to create a scarcity of certificates.

Of course, I'd encourage people to get them anyway, but it's not a license to burn more power if you're on a renewables tariff! More power means more grid demand, which almost always means burning more fossil fuels!

wyx087 likes this.
  7. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Whilst I hate to see anyone scammed you do wonder the logic of people who think that sending someone money (especially non trackable money) will end well for them!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56402378

It's the equivalent of a random person in the street saying give me £20 now and I'll pay you back £40 once I've been to the bank. However, instead of £20 its £400k!

8. Gareth Halfacree

The irony is that Bitcoin is trackable money. Like, completely traceable. Every single transaction takes place on a public ledger. You can see exactly where that stolen money went, nae bother.

Also, did you see the photo of the phone in the article, with the caption "Can you spot the difference?"

Yes. Yes, I can. One is "Elon Musk" with the Twitter account "@elonmusk"; the other is "E l o ņ M u s қ" with the Twitter account "@JoshyMcB". 'snot like it's subtle!

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  9. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Greed is the scammer's best friend.

10. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

That and panicking people into acting in haste and not stopping to think clearly.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Okay, somebody explain bitcoin wallets to me. I thought I had one with Nicehash? Is that just the one they use to deposit my earnings? Does that mean they can access it?

I've got a mahoosive £15 in there!! :p

Seriously though, should I (eventually) be moving earnings to another more secure place periodically? If so, do you have any recommendations?

12. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Nicehash do give you a wallet for your mining payouts but, if you're going to hold on to those coins, I'd say transfer them out to something that you control. That could either be another online wallet (simpler, more accessible, and probably free, but potentially a target for hacking), e.g. if you want to convert to something else/cash in quickly, or an offline wallet (far more secure, but you physically need access to it if you want to use it). You'll want to check Nicehash's withdrawal rules are first though, they charge fees and have minimum withdraw limits for different wallets... (here)

On the physical side, the Nano Ledger series had a good reputation as I recall, but if you go that route, make sure you're buying it direct and setting it up yourself, rather than getting one that could have been compromised already.

David likes this.
  13. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

I have my wallet with coinbase but that's because I intend to convert to £ once I've got enough to make the fees sensible. If you plan to hold the coins for a longer time then a hardware wallet is what I would do, especially for larger sums.

For the few hundred quid I might accumulate at one time it doesn't really make sense to buy a hardware wallet

14. Gareth Halfacree

Use Coinbase Pro - it's a little more of a learning curve (but not much if all you're doing is selling for cash), and the fees are considerably lower: 0.5 percent spread and 0.5 percent on Coinbase Pro (unless you're lucky enough to be selling over $10k, in which case the fees start to drop) compared to 0.5 percent spread *and* 1.49 percent variable fee for Coinbase standard - *plus* a fixed-rate fee of between £0.99 and £2.99 if you're selling below £201.

In other words, selling £200 of Bitcoin on Coinbase Pro will get you £198 (£200 minus 0.5 percent spread and 0.5 percent fee); selling £200 of Bitcoin on Coinbase will get you £193.

Arboreal, Yaka, Spraduke and 2 others like this.
  15. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Thank you. I shall have to learn the Pro variant.
    I transferred from Nicehash to Coinbase and then withdrew that £25 to test out the flow. But only got £23.50 ...... brrrrr. I was thinking I need to find somewhere with lower fee.

I guess the key is spreading out your 'coins. I've got Binance, Coinbase and Nicehash wallets, generally I put long term holding in Binance (eg. my £100 inital investment in 2018) and Coinbase. Transfer from Nicehash to Coinbase is free. Coinbase to/from Binance is also free IIRC.

Seem to remember GDAX became Coinbase Pro. Does holding 2 online wallet in Pro and Coinbase also mean spread-out risks on 2 providers?

16. Gareth Halfacree

Yup: Coinbase Pro is GDAX as-was.
    Nope: you log into Coinbase Pro with a standard Coinbase account, so if your Coinbase account gets compromised you're stuffed: they could empty both accounts. I'd recommend getting a FIDO2 U2F security key!

wyx087 likes this.
  17. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I checked on the value of a direct cash out on nicehash vs sending to CoinbasePro convert to euro via transfer then sale.

The difference on €165 worth of BTC was about 30 cents.

So looks for at least that sort of value directly cashing out on nicehash is also an option, obviously if you want to place a limit sale then CoinbasePro is the place to go.

Last edited: 17 Mar 2021
    wyx087 likes this.
  18. Isitari

Isitari Minimodder

Out of interest what temperature is your memory running at? My 3080 the GDDR6X runs rather toasty (though technically safe) temperature.

19. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I don't know, I'm using a USB stick, linux based mining OS to avoid having to use a ssd. It doesn't currently show memory temps.

I have a 140mm fan blowing onto the back plate, with another 140mm fan blowing down onto it and its on a open bench.

Its also a recent batch from nvidia, so they have better pads. I guess its still f'ing hot though.

Edit: 1 month anniversary today - £247.50 in the BTC wallet, around £40 electricity. So about £200 for the month in profit.

20. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

My 3090 VRAM was hitting TJ max (110 degrees) when mining. Even when dropping the hashrate to about 92MH/s, which is approx 80% of it's mining capacity. Spending £40 on better quality thermal pads and an hour with the screwdrivers dropped the VRAM temp to 90 degrees while pushing ~ 114MH/s.

Well worth the expense.

Isitari likes this.