1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Elite - Dangerous by David Braben

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jedra, 6 Nov 2012.

1. 3vuL

3vuL What's a Dremel?

Mining has been recently nerfed. To get a decent price for LTDs or Void Opals in range close to 1.5Mil, you probably gonna end up traveling close to 800 LY. Before that I could easily make 300mil in an hour with stock Python.

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah, I'm glad I got a crapton of mining time in before the update.

3. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

No nerf will ever sting quite as much as the SCB nerf of 2016. I quite literally exploded my Anaconda thanks to that one.

4. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I will get on to the Void Opals or Diamonds when I have finished off the stuff I am doing for the Hutton Truckers.

I still need to collect a load of materials though for engineering as I have 5 ships that still need everything engineering and 3 that just need finishing, but it's going to take months to collect all the materials required so in order to do that I need to go and sit in a combat zone or extraction zone with some collector limpets.

The "Nerf" to mining though I think was needed but not to the level that they did it, I know my dad in the space of 3 weeks made over 10 billion credits before the "Nerf" but I honestly don't see the point, I have just over 1 billion credits on my main account and I have nothing really to spend it on at the moment.

5. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

any tips for a returning player who finally got the mounts to attach their hotas to their 'new' (but actually a year old now) chair?

whenever i last played there was lots of landing at alien artifact sites, i did a road to riches run, engineered my asp, and then messed about in community goal things getting my rank up a bit. I wanted to try mining or passenger hauling but the former was considered 'not worth it for the money' and the latter got nerfed while i was still trying to decide which to try.

have i missed a rise and fall of mining? I'm only flying a T7, the aspx and an fdl, so looking to do something for some money so i can buy a new ship and then go and do whatever other stuff takes my fancy, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Save this retired pilot from a life of endless low-margin trucking.

6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

7. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

It saddens me but also speaks volumes that this earnest and articulate request for input was the point where the thread died previously. ED is in limbo. Halfway between being an interesting game and being a pointless grindfest.

I still haven't gone HOTAS because ED doesn't seem to justify it yet. The next expac might change that.

The recent buffs to bounties were nice but didn't change the fundamental problem the game has - there's no point doing anything.

8. adidan

I must admit i've only just got back into it because I picked up a mixed reality headset. VR makes even the mundane fun for me now.

Exploring in an Asp cockpit in VR is just a joy (a hotas definitely needed for that).

Odyssey dlc is out soon, I don't know much about it other than it looks like you can go on foot with personal weaponry. No VR for that at launch though.

9. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I've not touched ED for a while, but I follow ObsidianAnt on YT and I'm keen to get back in when we finally get our space legs. I'm a fairly casual player, usually in solo mode with a buddy as wing. Its taken me a while to build a Krait MkII that's nearly fully A Class but I haven't unlocked engineering yet.

On that note, is it just me or my lack of combat skills or does AI combat require an engineered ship?

I've also got an Oculus Rift S and admit that it's a real game changer for immersion, the depth of the visuals are amazing. I want to get a HOTAS next as I'm thumbling around stilll with m&kb.

10. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Since I now have a Hotas again and will be getting a removable desk mount for it at the end of the month, I will be jumping back in and grinding out my final Elite Rank in Combat by killings some Thargoids.

The FPS I am really looking forward to but I am just hoping they make it good.

For now though I am not playing it as I do not want to screw the joystick in to my desk so cannot use the Hotas as it moves when playing the game.

11. adidan

Missed this for some reason.

Yup i've been casual too although spent alot more time since i've been playing it VR. Kind of why i'm not too hyped about Odyssey yet as it's not VR.

I've also been pootling about - a bit of discovery in an AspX to find an unclaimed rock and enough guardian bits to unlock the fsd booster.

I've since been in a Krait II as well, enjoying that - a good little combat ship and all rounder really. I've enginneered very little (next on my list - only the fsd so far).

I've since been side tracked with a Python doing station evacuations and a small bout of cargo runs for the CC.

After that i think i'll kit the Krait out to go find some Thargoid scouts - not done that yet.

Yeah I had that issue but getting an oversized mouse/keyboard mat seems to have helped.

I'm thinking about a new bigger desk, ideally i'd rig up the hotas to a chair somehow but i distracted playing rather than doing :happy:

The FPS does look interesting, i just really don't know if I could go back to playing elite not in VR anymore though.

12. boiled_elephant

I've done bits of engineering and found it massively improves things, especially in combat, but the overall difficulty curve is still more down to strength of numbers than anything. 1-on-1 you can kill most things with a Krait mk2 or better; 3-on-1 or worse, I get creamed even in an engineered Anaconda.

Despite how much difference it makes, I still can't bring myself to get further into engineering or to do the guardian stuff. I kinda wish I'd played in vanilla because all the current content is locked behind terribly obscure grinds. I don't even know how a normal player is supposed to figure out the engineer and guardian stuff without resorting to online guides.

13. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I was a beta backer and haven't played in many years. I have a hotas and OR sat in storage, is it worth me digging it all out and having a play?

I had (Have?) many hundreds of millions of creds and several ships (I think I had all of them that were available including an 'conda at the time).

14. adidan

Hard to say, i only started again after picking up a headset - it's got me enjoying it even if i'm doing grindy aspects.

Not sure I would have gone back to it but I may have done when Odyssey releases later this month.

So Odyssey would have brought me back if just on a monitor, a headset is keeping me there for everything else :happy:

15. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I sold my Rift last week simply because of the whole Facebook thing.

I will eventually get a new headset because Elite in VR is simply stunning, and GPU's these days are more than capable of powering a VR headset without issue.

I need to do some Guardian grinding which I probably could do now, without the Hotas mounted to the desk but I really just want to wait.

16. boiled_elephant

If you enjoy the grind of slow steady progress, the engineering can be rewarding - you'll have a fresh experience of it, seeing all the vanilla ships massively improve for the first time. Bulky things like the Anaconda, especially, whacking engineering on the thrusters and suddenly having it handle twice as well is quite delightful.

There have also been the Alliance ships added - the Crusader, Chieftain and Challenger. These are kinda like Kraits but cheaper and better value at the cost of internal size and versatility, with much more agility (due to their massive widely-placed thrusters on little froglike limbs) and lighter, more military internal compartments (for hull reinforcements etc.) and good firepower. Their achilles heel is quite a large, exposed cockpit, but on the flipside this makes the field of view from inside them insane compared to most combat ships. The undisputed king is the Chieftain; the Crusader is like....ehhh, just a Krait Mk2 but not quite as good in any way, I got sick of its fragility and upgraded to the Krait very quickly, but apparently the Chieftain is amazing. It has a loyal fanbase and I dread encountering them in combat zones because they hit really hard and are agile AF.

alliance_chieftain_01.jpg

Byron C, Goatee and adidan like this.
  17. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Engineering is one of the best things Frontier added to the game, but also one of the worst things they have ever added.

My Anaconda, Corvette, Asp and Python are all engineered almost to the max but I still can do more to them but the time requirements are off putting.

Given I have not played it since before the Carriers were added to the game, I may actually enjoy it again for a short while but since I am getting fed up with a lot of other games I will end up just putting in multiple hours in to Elite when I start again.

18. boiled_elephant

The problem is the process for acquiring the various materials. I like the idea more than the reality - you need materials from every area of the game, so you must dabble in every discipline to advance - signals, exploration, combat, trading, mining. The problem is the average player finds some of these tasks boring as sin. I absolutely cannot do any more mining, and dropping in on signal sources makes me want to walk into the sea. Unless you enjoy every corner of the game you can't really 'do' engineering fully.

19. adidan

I have done absolutely no mining whatsoever yet. :eyebrow:

I notice there's now a materials trader - were they always there or are they another thing thing that appeared with the carriers since I was last around.

Talking of which, i'm off to see how much one of those costs :happy:

20. boiled_elephant

Materials traders are pretty darn great as a patch to the problem of endless ED tedium. If you smash one activity and have loads of, say, emissions data, or wake data, or alloys, or whatever from combat, and need some stupid material from mining or exploration that you CBA to farm, you can just trade for it.

Of course, one mustn't praise Frontier too loudly for this, because it's only a solution to a problem that they created in the first place by requiring all players to grind all activities just to upgrade their ships.

One also mustn't get too excited because the exchange rates are actually terrible and you'll still need to grind for ages to get fully stacked out. But once you get high up in one discipline (e.g. combat) you can farm the materials from your favourite activity and gradually fill out all the other materials categories by trading.