1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows storage spaces raid & adding a disk?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Yaka, 20 Mar 2021.

1. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

is it possible to add a hdd/ssd to a software raid setup up in windows storage spaces and not lose the data?

looking to add a 2tb ssd to it but the guy does not want to lose his steam/battlenet library

2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Is it raid or just a storage space where you've combined drives, certainly on the second type you can add disks no problem, I do this.

3. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

i used storage spaces to combine the disks when i built the system as he just wanted one place/drive to install his games. just really want to be sure he wont lose his games and have to re-download them.

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

So if its a simple Storage space (no resiliency) then you can just add drives no data loss, you add a drive to the pool and then you can change size and optimize, it should be that simple, if it was Ms raid then I am not so sure.

I have a few drives to test in my machine before out fitting a NAS, I could have a go, I have never tried with drives of different types always preferring to use drives of same size and type, all my stuff is backed up and I am taking them all out anyway, so don't mind trying it out.

5. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

Last edited: 20 Mar 2021
  6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I had exactly that problem also, checked drives were all working them rebooted and did storage spaces as the first thing and it was fine, easy to remove too.

Seems it doesn't care how they are connected either, I have a mix of NVMe, SATA and USB, quite interesting.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 21 Mar 2021
    Yaka likes this.