1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Recommend a VPN fow Windows 7

Discussion in 'Software' started by GaryP, 30 Oct 2020.

1. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

Now that the helmets at Private Internet Access have suddenly decided to no longer support windows 7, can anyone recommend one I can use on at least three machines running windows 7.

I am no in the process of fighting for a refund with these dicks for nearly 10 months of useless subscription. I do not recommend their customer support for anyone thinking of using them.

2. SkiDave

SkiDave Minimodder

AirVPN has a windows 7 client - though I've not used it on windows 7...
    You can have 5 simultaneous clients, and support pretty much every platform going.

I've been very impressed with them, been using them for a couple of years now.

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

NordVPN, while ok, can be wildly inconsistent in terms of connection speed.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I second AirVPN. Been using them for years, never had a problem.

5. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

I was just talking with @legoman on the Discord server at the weekend. I installed Opera and apparantly it comes with one built in (one of the bullet points during the install process). Not sure on how good it is, but might be worth a look before signing up to something.

6. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

Thirded. I've been using AirVPN for 4 years now without issue.

7. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I realise it will depend a lot on the router, but is there a way of adding AirVPN (or alternative) at router level?

Mine is currently set to run through Cloudflare (1.1.1.1) but I don't know if that's sufficient.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

1.1.1.1 isn't a VPN, it's DNS: your DNS resolution queries (i.e. "what IP address is www.bbc.co.uk") go to Cloudflare, but none of your other traffic. (And unless you're using DNS-over-HTTPS, they go in plain text so your ISP can still see all the names you're querying.)

As to whether you can use AirVPN at a router level, it depends on your router. AirVPN has its own client, but it doesn't require it: it can generate configuration files compatible with OpenVPN. If your router supports connecting to a VPN endpoint and can accept OpenVPN configuration files, then yes. If not, no: you'd need to switch to a router that does, or turn your router into a simple gateway and put a box between it and your network that handles the routing including VPN.

9. satisfiedwimp

satisfiedwimp Minimodder

If you want a reliable VPN, you really have to pay. They only allow you to test it for free for a few days so you can have an idea of it's worth before you buy it.

10. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

I switched from Nord to Air due to this thread, and have to say thanks.

The Nord app is a bit flashier, but had nowhere near the same level of options, and Nord don't have any configurable port forwarding. Stability and speed wise they seem similar.

11. DanH

DanH What's a Dremel?

surfshark by a mile

12. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel