1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The 'Random Crap I'm Too Nostalgic To Throw Away' Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by boiled_elephant, 9 Mar 2021.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Ha, not really! My space is filled with projects of mine.

2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Gareth - do you use anything to catalogue your crap treasure?

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Nope. Used LibraryThing to start on the books a few years ago - using the CueCat, in fact - but haven't kept that up to date. It's all just in my noggin!

4. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Gareth, I DO hope you have an infamous ZX81 'wobbly' 16K RAM pack! Type the code in, nudge the damn thing and all your hard work is gone....
    I remember my cousin having problems with that.
    I wish I'd asked my friend up the road if I could have her Dad's TRS80 when he got rid of it, I loved that machine.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Disappointingly, no! Mind you, the previous owner of the shell the ZXpand lives in had the same problem: there's still Velcro stuck to it...

IanW and Arboreal like this.
  6. Gareth Halfacree

Next to come down from the shelves is the Cambridge Computers Z88, a handy-dandy portable which runs from four AA batteries. Comes with Pipedream installed, which forumites of a certain vintage will remember well. Also has a copy of BBC BASIC on there, which to anyone familiar with Sinclair's failure to grab the BBC Micro contract may come as a shock.

z881.jpg

As you might expect from a Sinclair device, albeit one which couldn't have his name on the front because it came after Sinclair Computers was acquired by Amstrad, it has an... innovative keyboard. Which is to say it's a single rubber mat, marketed as a "silent-type" selling point. To be fair, it's entirely usable - I'm touch-typing this on it and it's a million miles better than the Spectrum and a galaxy away from the flat ZX81 or ZX80 keyboards.

z882.jpg

This one's upgraded: there are two 128kB RAM cartridges in there, plus a 128kB SSD. Yes, this thing has solid-state storage. Trouble is, it's an EPROM - not an EEPROM or flash ROM. Which means, for those who don't know, the only way to erase the SSD is to put it under a strong ultra-violet lamp for twenty minutes. Which wipes the whole thing.

I actually use this thing from time-to-time, though. It's really great for taking notes on the go, and there are no distractions like you'd get from a modern laptop. The semi-multi-tasking operating system is neat, too, and it's got a RS232 connection so I can hook it up to a USB-RS232 cable and transfer stuff - like this - onto the desktop quickly and easily.

7. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Where does that SSD go on the chassis? surely not with the window pointing to the outside world?

Really cool. I haven't messed with eprom since I was doing electronics at school! Does it support multiple protocols over serial or does it use somethign like xmodem?

8. Gareth Halfacree

Nah, they slide into one of three bays at the bottom. From memory, only the third can accept an EPROM - the others are for ROMs or RAM packs.

z883.jpg

Stock, it uses its own "import/export" format - which is raw serial, 9600 baud. There's an add-on called PC Link that adds support for smarter protocols, and I've one of them too:

z88.jpg

(Glamour shot from when I wrote about the thing a while back.)

9. jinq-sea

Awesome. I absolutely love that little system. I suspect they change hands for lots of cash nowadays though.

Talking of ROMs, I wiped some EPROMs only last week. Twelve AM27C400s. @Gareth Halfacree, want to hazard a guess at what for?

10. Gareth Halfacree

I was *going* to say "surprisingly, no," 'cos I bought a second one for £26 a while back to steal the 128kB RAM pack and plastic protective cover for mine. Turns out "a while back" is July 2013, and now the cheapest one on FleaBay is £200 delivered. Christ. That said, a look at sold listings shows some going for as little as £36, so I think it's just a case of waiting for less-greedy sellers.

Ooh, and I apparently missed out on a 512kB RAM cart for the thing, £33 plus postage. That'd have been a nice upgrade.
    I'm thinking you're converting an arcade board of one flavour or another - CPS1, maybe?

11. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

wow a blisteringly fast 9600 baud, would be the only thing that would make me thankful it's only 128kb :) cool little box that.

12. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

You've all made me feel young again, as I have no idea what any of this means. So thank you for that :lol:

BeauchN likes this.
  13. jinq-sea

I'll set up a saved search I think :)

Not this time - I suspect I threw you with the quantity. Tinkering with WB ROMs for a 600 and a 1200 this time. They were all full of nonsense because of arcade tinkering though - couldn't get a multi-BIOS for a Sega ST-V board to burn properly! If I remember correctly, 27C4096s are the program rom for a CPS1. I think the only CPS1 I have left is Ghouls 'n' Ghosts, but that's a conversion. Still, plays just right and I'm still useless at it, so it must be OK!

14. Gareth Halfacree

Aye, I was thinking all twelve were going into something - which'd be a hell of a modified Amiga!

15. jinq-sea

Wouldn't it!

Arboreal likes this.
  16. Gareth Halfacree

Oh, I forgot to say: if you do pick one up, try to find one with a bundled RS232 cable. 'cos... Well, remember when Sinclair finally added joystick ports to the Spectrum, but it was wired up completely different to the Atari standard everyone used at the time - so you had to buy the execrable SJS-1 instead of a proper microswitched stick?

That, but serial. The "serial" port's a DB9, like you'd expect, but it's not wired like any other RS232 DB9. You either use Cambridge Computers' specific cable, or you'll have to wire one up yourself. The USB-RS232 adapter I'm using has its own posh gold-plated DB9 on the end... which then goes into a DB9-DB25 gender-bender, then into the DB25 on the end of the Z88's RS232 cable, which terminates in a specially-wired DB9 to plug into the Z88 itself. Looks daft, works a treat.

17. jinq-sea

Thanks for the heads-up! I do remember the 'fun' of Spectrum sticks, yes. I'm fairly sure I've got an SJS 1 somewhere in a box. It's probably with the boxed, complete ZX I have. Why do I have these things?!

I am almost certain I have the required connectors and bits in a box to make up the required franken-cable, but I'd rather not. I've got a few wiring looms I need to make up (JST-RA 60pin to AMP-UP connectors, anyone), so one fewer would be a bonus.

18. Gareth Halfacree

Got a newsletter to write this arvo, so naturally it's time to ignore that and pull something else off the shelf. Well, desk.

pc1.jpg

Once upon a time there was a company called Next Thing Co. which saw how successful the Raspberry Pi was and decided to get in on the action. The result: The CHIP, a single-board computer based on the Allwinner R8. Tiny thing, but surprisingly capable - limited ports, but made up for with plenty of GPIO which could be used to add HDMI, VGA, stuff like that.

Raised a couple of million on Kickstarter, came up with a couple of upgraded models, and launched the pictured Pocket CHIP - an all-in-one cyberdeck which has a CHIP in the back. Comes with custom UI on top of Debian, resistive touch-screen display, and a keyboard even Sinclair never thought to try: metal domes laminated on top of the mainboard PCB.

Those holes at the bottom left and right? Stick a pen or a pencil through 'em, it stands up on your desk. Neat.

pc2.jpg

Sadly, Next Thing Co. bit off more than it could chew. The company disappeared in 2018, and after that the only way to pick one up was through the company's Chinese contract manufacturer who still had a warehouse filled with the damn things.

Despite that keyboard, it's a great form factor - and having the GPIO up there is fantastic for quick prototyping or debug work, too. I'd kill for the same thing again but with something like a Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 in the back - although hopefully the DevTerm I've got coming next month (fingers crossed) will scratch that itch...

boiled_elephant likes this.
  19. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

[​IMG]

I haven't had a GPU that this fits in... 5 years?

I had a pair of them, and I did sell one, but I think it was another irrational case of "that might come in handy".

It's the hoarder in me.

20. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I mean, if you wait long enough, a future GPU might fit by coincidence, right?

Maybe?

Tags: