1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

@stuartpb Dude, that sucks. Sending good vibes your (and your mum's) way.

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I know it can go either way and I'm rooting for her, but if it gives you any positivity my MIL contracted it in January, had a heart attack and a mini-stroke and is now fully recovered and back in her home.

She's 90.

3. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

Thanks, really appreciate that :)

Glad your mother in law recovered! I know of people in their 70's and 80's locally who have pulled through so we are hopeful.

If my mum is anything she's a fighter, she's had to be! She brought my sister and I up on her own from her late 30's, I was no angel as a kid and she had it hard financially and emotionally. She's had it tough and blasted through it before. The good thing is she's still active for her age, she even hiked Mam Tor and round the Edale Valley not too long ago as a sponsored walk with me acting as walk leader. Although it was physically tough for her she done it with a big smile on her face. While she still has breath in her body, she'll continue fighting!

4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

@stuartpb I hope your mum manages to bat it off quickly and is out of hospital sooner rather than later.

stuartpb likes this.
  5. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Blimey this is all getting emotionally taxing. Most of my customer base is aged 70 or above and I really worry for them - a couple have already lost friends or relatives to it, but the thing that really wigs me out is the realisation that I'll never really find out how many of them have succumbed to it. If you die of covid, you don't call your IT tech up to say "bad news, I died of covid". I end up just tangentially hearing years later from someone else, if at all. It's a headfuck.

Thankfully most old folks I speak to now have had the first jab. It's gutting to think how many people might've made it had it rolled out quicker, or had restrictions been rolled out in a slightly more prompt and rational way.

6. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

My mum had her first jab a while back, so even those who have had it still need to be careful :-(

boiled_elephant likes this.
  7. adidan

I don't see it plastered all over the tabloids that India are now blocking AZ exports.

8. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

9. adidan

10. adidan

A bit of anecdotal from my OH for those lucky enough to be in line for a second jab who had a reaction to the first.

Her first gave her a fever, chills, arm pain and 100+bpm heart rate. She had her second dose yesterday and just feels a bit tired thankfully, none of the first round symptoms.

@stuartpb hope you're mum's doing ok?

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Oh, I'm sure this could only be good news... right?

EDIT:
    "[...] the government has a responsibility to go further to protect the public’s health: [...] where diseases place a disproportionate burden on the NHS, for example the impact and cost of diabetes to the NHS."

Cool. Cool-cool-cool-cool-cool-cool-cool. No red flags here, nosirree.

EDIT EDIT:
    "We will [...] strengthen the role of Integrated Care Systems (ICS) in driving joined-up local action on population health."

Yup, nothing to see here. All good. Aaaaaall good.

EDIT EDIT EDIT:
    "These steps will ensure a greater practical focus on prevention and health improvement by the NHS working closely with local government and local partners."

Err... Those "partners," they'd... they'd be private companies, I'm guessing. Sure. Sure. No, sure. Yeah.

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT:
    "The UKHSA [...] will be a key part of the country’s critical national infrastructure and security infrastructure. It will also represent a core part of UK PLC, driving economic growth and resilience [...]"

Err. Should that be the focus of... no, right, yeah, sure, it'll be fine. It'll be fine.

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT:
    "It will work with academics and private organisations to ensure the latest behavioural science insights guide its work with citizens."

Could we maybe take a look at the list of private organisations, to see if any of 'em rhyme with "Bamebridge Panalytica" or its successors? No? Okay, sure, no, that's fine.

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT:
    "The UKHSA will lead a collaborative, partnership-driven health protection system [...]"

Yeah, I'm still a little nervous about that whole "partnership" thi... Okay, no, sure, it's been working so well, hasn't it, Test and Trace is.. a thing that exists, sure.

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT:
    "[...] we will locate functions where they can have the greatest impact in driving change, ensure that roles and accountabilities are clear and aligned with delivery capability, and focus on building critical capabilities that are vital for the future. For many of these functions, the place where they will have greatest impact is in DHSC where we will create a new Office for Health Promotion [...]"

I mean, it sounds a little like a power-grab, but... Well...

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT:
    "We are focusing the NHS more explicitly on preventing ill health, and supporting stronger collaborative working between the NHS and local partners to tackle population health challenges."

Those "partners" again...

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT:
    "NHS England, Integrated Care System NHS bodies and NHS providers of care will have a statutory aim of better health and wellbeing for everyone, recognising the vital part the NHS must play with partners in securing better health for the whole population."

Oh, so the partnerships are now statutory. Sure, that doesn't raise any concerns. (Also, "wellbeing" isn't a word.)

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT:
    "We will be seeking to work in partnership with a range of public and private providers to develop and test cutting-edge incentivisation programmes that will help to support people in being healthy and active over the coming years."

So, you're privatising some of this? No, sorry, it's not privatisation, it's a "partnership", got it, sure, yeah.

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT:
    "[...] we are reviewing whether delivery of other key workforce functions may best sit with other partners at national or subnational level."

Okay, so maybe I *am* getting a *little* concerned at this point...

Last edited: 29 Mar 2021
  12. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Seems legit.

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

And privatisation of the NHS through the back door proceeds unabated. Now with added cronyism.

Last edited: 30 Mar 2021
  14. Gareth Halfacree

adidan likes this.
  15. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

Thanks for asking, appreciate that. She's not doing too good at the mo, spoke to the consultant today and he said about 3am this morning her blood oxygen level dropped. Up until then she was showing signs of improving. He said that they think Covid is now affecting her lungs, which shows as a symptom later than the early ones. They are growing more concerned as she's had a course of antibiotics and steroids and is showing signs of her condition worsening. They have run some tests and x-rayed her chest again but we haven't heard back on the results of those yet. She's being given oxygen by mask at the mo, which he said is stage 2. Stage one is oxygen by canula, 2 is by mask, 3 is by CPAP. Beyond that I don't know what treatment would be offered due to her age and the fact she has COPD and other health issues.

My youngest daughter tested positive on Sunday so we're back in isolation. She's been OK, mild cold symptoms but they've almost gone now. She's been staying in her bedroom as much as possible, My wife, eldest daughter and I have tested negative up until now. Got to say the feeling I have is like being stood in a busy road, waiting for a vehicle to skittle me. I have asthma so it's in the back of my mind if I catch it will I become seriously ill. I'm much more concerned about my mum at the mo though.

This Covid virus is creating a real rollercoaster for my family :-(

16. adidan

@stuartpb Really sorry to hear that, fingers crossed for you and yours - having a torrid time of it by the sounds of it.

Not much anyone can say to relieve the stress but I hope the dice start rolling your way sooner rather than later.

stuartpb likes this.
  17. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

Thanks and very much appreciated :)

adidan likes this.
  18. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Well, crap.

I've been sort of following this on the periphery... I hope that your mum pulls through. Sending lots of positive vibes to your family.

19. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

Thanks Nexxo, really appreciate that!

20. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Lockdown 4, coming soon;
    [​IMG]