1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks vdsl2 modem/router with bridge / modem mode?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Springs, 30 Mar 2021.

1. Springs

Springs Boing boing

hi all,

I've recently moved house and have to "downgrade" to standard internet via talktalk.

I'm looking for a half decent / cheap vdsl2 compatible modem that can be put in bridged mode etc to plug into my existing network setup.

I use to be on Virgin which was easy as it came with a built in modem mode. My current talktalk hub has no such features so as above, looking to find a replacement.

If anyone has any reccomendations that would be great.

also, the phone line location is not in the ideal location for my setup so i was wondering what the powerline adaptors are like these days as i'd need to connect the modem to the equipment in another room

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Draytek Vigor 130 maybe? Draytek stuff is fairly good.

3. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

As above, the Draytek Vigor is ideal, or see if you can find a BT Openreach Modem on eBay. Something like this

edit:
    This could cause issues, I'm not sure how a powerline adaptor would cope with PPPOE negotiation. (This is assuming the Modem by the BT socket them in to the PL adapter and then your router/firewall at the other end?)

Last edited: 30 Mar 2021
  4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Power lines are great and might be fine if you are VDSL2 but you are going to be on a G.Fast link there are incompatibilities that will hamper your internet performance as I have discovered.

Wifi routers have gotten pretty quick these days so easy to give coverage with a Wifi bridge that way.

5. Springs

Springs Boing boing

thanks guys.

picked up a BT open reach modem to try. Should be able to test it at the weekend.

6. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Ping me if no joy and I'll have a look in the garage - I may have a spare, fairly recent BT Home Hub sitting around. We did an ebay purge recently though, so I'll have to confirm with the missus.

7. Springs

Springs Boing boing

managed to get this sorted.

Picked up a BT modem off ebay, worked out which port did what as port 1 was the bridged port.
    picked up a TP link power line adapter and it does seem to work fine with the setup.
    Plugged it into my USG pro4 and i've had no issues with it since. All the existing setup i had works fine

Thanks for the help with everything