1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I'm afraid I don't recognise the bike, but it looks like a fairly chunky engine on it! Don't envy you the job of having to polish all that chrome though :grin:

Going from the CBF125 to the NC750X was a huge step up, but the power in the NC starts to drop off a bit at motorway speeds. You can accelerate from ~70mph*, but it takes a lot longer and it doesn't have much more than that in it. Going from the NC750X to the Pan European is just another league... I thought I'd miss having a gear indicator but I really don't because it just doesn't matter: Am I dipping below ~2000-ish rpm? Then I should probably drop a gear. Am I going over ~4000/~5000-ish rpm? Then I should probably shift up (if I'm going over 5000rpm in top gear then I've already lost my license!)

*No, you can't do more than 70mph on British roads, but being able to accelerate quickly at that speed is an incredibly useful tool to get yourself out of a potential situation. You never know when you're going to need to get out of a car's blind spot quickly, or get away from some idiot doing dangerous stuff because they're not paying attention, etc.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

cocots.jpg

Finally popped the lock on that COCOT. Next step will be to check the electrics. (No, the line cable wasn't unplugged when I opened it - shame, 'cos *that'd* have been an easy fix!)

Oh, and there *was* some money in there: a single 1996 1p coin. Hooray!

Last edited: 7 Apr 2021
    Byron C likes this.
  3. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

What was it that gave it, its rattle?
    NVM, missed the bit about the 1p coin - fail. :duh:

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yeah, just the coin. I was hoping for a spare key - but I'll just leave it unlocked for now, and maybe replace the lock if I get the thing up and running.

5. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Gah, not even a proper copper (cupro nickel?) 1p...dammit

6. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Scan confirmed delivery of my new PC for the end of this week before I received an email stating it will be delayed by 1-2 extra days cos they are busy... still, after ordering it 16th Jan, what's an extra couple of days!

goldstar0011 likes this.
  7. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

After spending the past 3 months on furlough my manager called me yesterday morning. Have been asked to come into the office for training for a new role within the company. Still a customer service agent just a completely new service that we are providing.

Time to suit up and get back into normality.

adidan, IanW and goldstar0011 like this.
  8. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Better than an a surprise P45 in the mail! :thumb:

9. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Appointed lead for the sales office migration from local file storage to cloud storage, so now I can structure the filing my way!

[​IMG]

MadGinga, IanW and adidan like this.
  10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Finally had the time and spare resin to print the receiver for the M93R Auto 9;

[​IMG]

The slide is printing now, then all that's left is the grips, but something tells me I'll not have sufficient resin for those in the immediate future.

11. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

I was trying to think what was better until I read P45... and not PS5 which was how I originally scanned it...

12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Had fish & chips from my usual (for the last 20 years) chippy last night, and learned that they've been listed as one of the 50 best in the UK by their industry magazine.
    Well deserved IMHO *nom nom nom*

13. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

We used to go to a good chippy from time to time, then the ownership changed. Now they are shite...

14. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I'm lucky enough to live a in town with about...8 different chippies? And at least four of them are amazing. Some even open on Sunday, too, which is such a savvy business decision I don't know why more of them don't do it.

Could ****ing murder some fish and chips right now. In fact hang on, I work for myself, I think I will! Very thread-relevant.

IanW and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  15. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Upon discovering we live a stone's throw from the national fish & chip shop of the year 2020, and having never been, we naturally decided we needed to see what all the full was about.

It was good. Fine, but entirely unremarkable and unmemorable. Maybe we got them on a bad day. Or maybe they won it on an exceptional day. It was the definitely the best disappointing fish & chips I've ever had at least.

16. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Being as I am in a long-term relationship with a seafood industry insider, I can speculate that most of that is down to week-by-week variations in the fish supply. Even the best chippies kinda just take what they can get, and sometimes a particular fish is hard to get, or taking longer to reach its buyers. Even the best place in town here certainly varies in quality from one month to the next.

They're noticeably better here on the east coast of Lincolnshire, though, than they are in-land. Chippies in Manchester, Leeds, etc. are surprisingly bad compared to the coastal ones, presumably because the fish travels that much further and is stored for longer.

Mister_Tad likes this.
  17. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Chip shops in England are disappointing, fair play I don't expect them to do a spicy haggis, but why not a battered black pudding or a smoked sausage?

Instead they offer a savaloy, or some overpriced nonsense fish that voted for Brexit but nobody in this country wants to eat :miffed:

18. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Queens fish bar in Lichfield was my go-to fish and chip shop.

Their chicken tikka kebab had (has?) identifiable ingredients, and when you asked for it hot they made it passably hot.

Edit: It should be noted that it was also less than two minutes walk away, though, which I'm sure had no bearing on the perception of quality.

Last edited: 9 Apr 2021
  19. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Both the best fish & chips and kebabs I've ever had were from the same place - Oman. The second one makes a bit of sense, but the first one... all down to quality, super-fresh local fish I guess?

We're fortunately spoiled for takeaway in our village: no-nonsense-feel-good-but-put-you-in-a-coma meals from the pub, a fancy-pants pizzeria and an old-school bakery/deli/pasty shop that's been run by the same family for 100 years.

My personal favourite takeaway these days:

20. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

You just made me think of haggis supper from the local chip van... I want to move back to Scotland.