1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Tilia - a minimalistic open case

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Age, 12 Feb 2021.

1. Age

Age Minimodder

Thanks dude! Similarly you case looks fantastic. I love the CNC stuff!

I am gonna photoshop and see what it could look like. I quite like the industrial look of the fans + tubing, but I would acetone off the numbers at least.

On a side note I put in the last tubes yesterday and used EKs leak tester, and it's leaking a tiny bit. So this weekend I am redoing it and testing each part one at a time as I put it in to find the place it leaks.
    [​IMG]

2. Nexaner7

Nexaner7 What's a Dremel?

Is the cpu block tilted a little bit? Or is this just my imagination :eyebrow:

3. Age

Age Minimodder

It is actually slightly tilted. I only noticed it after I filled the entire loop, so I am going to let it be tilted until I pull it down for maintenance. It looks way worse in the pic than IRL, you don't really notice it when you look at it.

So since the last update I pretty much finished it for now. I put in all the cooling, I made two small lasercut panels to cover the rads AlphaCool logo. Overall I am really happy with the end result. It's been a long journey for me, but the result is so worth it. I feel like I have the ideal case for myself, that looks the way I want it, and performs well. I am really proud of it. My day job is as a digital product designer and designing and producing a physical product that I will use almost daily, is so very satisfying.

Without further delay, here's some pics I took. I will post my whole setup when it is finished next week. Now I just want to low-key hope for a nomination to Mod of the Month :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

LOVELY! :D

Age likes this.
  5. Age

Age Minimodder

Thanks!

And thanks for pushing me to figure out something to do about the Alphacool logo :D

6. radziecki

radziecki What's a Dremel?

Aww yiss! Wood and black metal. What's not to like?

7. Age

Age Minimodder

Thanks dude!

8. LePhuronn

LePhuronn Minimodder

Gotta say, the pump/res infuriates me. Given the gorgeous design and execution of everything else, having the pump like that looks like an afterthought, and a rushed one at that.

With the shorter tube, at the very least it would be much better placed vertically to give some sense of balance, given it's the only cylindrical item in an entirely rectangular aesthetic. Personally though, I'd change it for a DDC. Smaller footprint, rectangular to match the overall style (and an acetal top would give nice symmetry to the CPU block).

Pump/res aside, it's utterly stunning. And the logo cover-up on the radiators is sublime.

9. Age

Age Minimodder

Thanks for the honest feedback! I can understand where you're coming from and if I were to make one change it would be to make some holes to allow for the option of a vertical pump. I may have the case stripped, drilled, and painted again in the future to do just that (worried the cerakote will cracks if I drill right into it).

10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

It only looks like an afterthought because you know it was a compromise, though.
    My solution to such is/always will be- a big custom chunk of plastic, but that wouldn't fit here... maybe.
    A block of wood over the mounting plate would hide any damages, and add detail. So you could make upgrades someday if you feel like it.

11. Datulab

Datulab Human? AI? Robot?

I love how clean everything came out! I especially like how you combined wood and metal so seemlessly.