1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

The Bro set? I think I have that too. And a matching Brobot IIRC.

2. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Last edited: 25 Mar 2021
  3. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

I picked up a 'chalk' set of those HK Gaming caps a while ago, not bad for the price, a couple of dodgy mouldings but nothing that couldn't be fixed with a little sanding. Unfortunately, getting anything slightly unusual seems to require getting in on an expensive group buy and then having to wait a year for the caps, to (hopefully) be delivered. Not that that fact seems to stop me

4. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

I now have a dedicated office space, so the clickclacking wont annoy the wife or kids anymore (and we havent had to worry about co-workers for a while now being remote :D) - so I am looking to pickup a mech keyboard again, having sold both my poker and filco a few years ago. What do you guys think about something like this? https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-k1-wireless-mechanical-keyboard?variant=31301928058969 I currently have both a macbook for work and windows machine for gaming, which share a single screen, currently using a bluetooth mac keyboard for both (and magic mouse but thats a different conversation entirely)....

5. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

It's ok if you like those switches - I don't really like the low profile ones, it's like typing on an old fashioned laptop :)

Keyboard company in the UK sell those as well - https://www.keyboardco.com/product/double-shot-filco-104-key-usa-keyset-purple.asp but also out of stock :(

I spend my entire life searching out Cherry beige sets. Been a particularly good 2 months as I got 1x PBT set and 1x ABS 1.5x sets. I think I now have 7 sets of cherry beige :D 2x PBT, 4x 1.5x ABS and 1x 1.25x ABS - mostly all ISO but I have a single set of ANSI. Average price seems to be about 80 quid but some have cost me 160 quid (!!) and some have cost me 7.50!

6. Mr_Mistoffelees

Last edited: 26 Mar 2021
  7. Margo Baggins

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've the K3, and I concur. I've the orange switches, which are supposedly tactile - but it's a very, very gentle click and they bottom out very softly. Nowhere near the snap of an MX Blue. Some people might prefer 'em, but while I don't think they're *terrible* I'm a bigger fan of the louder clickies.

9. Mr_Mistoffelees

10. Margo Baggins

I hope the planets align and you get some :)

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  11. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

Thanks guys - that really helpful feedback. Its tricky not being able to try before I buy. At this pricepoint, its probably worth a punt :D I can always sell it on and get something better in the future. Hell, at the moment I am typing this on the macbook pro's keyboard.

12. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

As an outside dabbler in the mech world (Corsair K65 TKL with MX reds), I am interested in something a bit more hardcore and an opportunity has come up locally.
    I'd like to know what's reasonable to pay for a Ducky One 2 Mini (2019 YOT Dog) with Blues?

I can see some potential annoyance at losing volume buttons and a LOT of familiar keys, but am prepared from some finger jitsu to work with it.

13. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

A new One2 mini is in the £110 ballpark. eBay completed listings are all over the place, from £46 to £190!

It depends a lot on condition, and how keen you are to experiment. I very nearly bought a MechaMini a little while ago, which is basically the same but in a metal case, but then got sucked down the custom keyboard rabbit hole. The One2 minis are well regarded, and Ducky do a good job of their stabilisers, and while I'm not personally keen on clicky switches, each to their own :)

I suspect a lot of the keys you want are on the function layer, which takes a little getting used to, but in reality isn't an issue once you are. The 60-65% form factor is great for saving desk space or for travelling with.

I'd probably say £60-70? Maybe a bit more if it's in good condition and you really want it, but much higher than that and you may as well buy a new one and get a choice of switches.

14. Arboreal

Thanks @BeauchN for your useful and expansive reply.

It's £50, but since I posted here I noticed that it was US ANSI layout, which I don't think I will get on with.

I see there are others at similar money on eBay currently, that are UK ISO layout.

I also watched Optimum Tech's long term update on his custom 60% board, and can see a potential rabbit hole looming!

'Fortunately', I don't have the money to go custom, but could afford a 60% prebuilt at the sort of money you're talking about.

Not sure about clicky keys either, but am prepared to go on an adventure and trey to get rid of another membrane board here!

Thank you again, I'll keep an eye out for what's available

15. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Purely to trigger folk, I've just taken delivery of my first non-mech board in ~ ten years*

[​IMG]

* other than wireless boards used for the TV or testing.

adidan and Arboreal like this.
  16. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

No worries @Arboreal, it's a fun hobby but can get very expensive very quickly if you let it. It doesn't have to though. You can get a plastic case, hot swap ISO board, plate, stabilisers, switches and keycaps for under £200 new (e.g. see kit options here but also worth looking at KBDfans, which has reasonable shipping charges and times).

Despite what some people think, you don't need to jump in on the ultra-rare high end cases and keycap sets. The main point of going custom to my mind is being able to get what you want the way you want it. I think I'm done playing around trying new stuff and plan to solder my next board as I think I've finally figured out what I want in terms of layout and switches.

Unfortunately a lot of the custom stuff is ANSI as that's the biggest market, but there are ISO boards available if you look. Round 3 of the Caps Unlocked C65 (clicky) runs until 18/4 and is a pretty decent value all-metal 65% at £120 (though you'll have to add stabilisers, switches and key caps).

17. Arboreal

Nooooooooooooooooo! @BeauchN, you git! I was happy not looking, and then had a peek at the C65 Dammit. I didn't even know that 65% was a thing... A 60% with arrows and 4 other useful 'missing' keys.
    It looks affordable until you start adding all the other required items, AND you still need a keycap set!
    I have no fscking clue what stabilisers I need....the rabbit hole is looking tricksy

18. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Mwahahahahaha! True, but you could pick up the Cu65 now, and then have a think about switches and keycaps later. Spread the cost a bit...

If you did, the Durrock stabilisers they offer with the Cu65 have a pretty good reputation and I think the £15 or so for them is reasonable, so I'd probably just grab them at the same time. I usually get my stabilisers from Zeal and are about the same price (though then have to pay shipping from Canada... it's always the blooming shipping that gets to me with this lark)

And it's not like you need to rush on the rest of the parts. Maybe see if you can grab a switch tester so you can try out few different types before buying the 70ish you need for the board. That way you're more likely to get what you want sooner (and spend less overall!). For keycaps, you could grab a cheap set off amazon for £30-40 and then decide if you want something different/better later. Actually I've got a set at home that you could have cheap if you wanted (though it will be a few weeks before I'll be back and could pop them in the post).

EDIT: should have said, that yes, 65% is a really nice compromise on size and functionality. I started out with a massdrop ALT (original batch, serial number 151!) a few years ago and have really only been looking at smaller boards over the last year. You can squeeze a fair bit out of a small keyboard though :)

Arboreal likes this.
  19. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Dear god, I thought 2021 would be less crazy than 2020!

I can't handle this anymore.... :worried::waah::lol::worried::yawn::worried::hehe:

David and LennyRhys like this.
  20. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

@David I'm lost for words. I'm almost tempted to report your post to a mod...

I'm still rocking my Masterkeys 750 having owned it for a little over three years and I doubt I'll ever need to replace it. Fantastic board.

On the subject of size vs functionality, I've tried 60% boards (still have one) and it just doesn't work for me as a daily driver. I also have a TKL with MX Reds as a backup/gaming board, and I don't think I'd go any smaller.

David likes this.