1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V best wireless option connect PC to TV

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silk186, 9 Apr 2021.

1. silk186

silk186 Derp

I'm looking for suitable options for connecting my desktop/laptop to my tv in the next room. Previously I used an HDMI wire but there are doors between the two rooms and I might move my PC upstairs. While the main use is to watch tv and movies mostly I would also like to be able to play games in 4k with an xbox controller.

I know I should have a few options, Steam link, apple tv, Nvidia shield I'm not very familiar with my options. As the distance gets farther it would also be more convenient to be able to use a wireless mouse and keyboard if possible.

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

nVidia Shield TV works well with its included controller. Its USB (my 2015 model, not sure about connectivity on the current 2019 tube model) works with keyboard and mouse dongles.

I've recently got a Chromecast with Google TV. This pairs with xbox bluetooth controller. Using Steam Link or Moonlight app works well. Bluetooth keyboard/mouse should also work.

For watching TV/films, can't you host some sort of media server (Plex?) on your desktop and then use dedicated app on any streaming devices? The UI will be far nicer than squinting at UI designed for computer screen.

3. silk186

silk186 Derp

Streaming on PLEX or building and HTPC would be the most versatile but I'm planning on moving to Beijing when they relax their visa policies so I don't want anything too bulky. I want something this is flexible but not overly complicated. Support for apps like Disney+ and crunchy roll would be nice as my TV only supports Netflix and Prime Video. Streaming content from my computer is a big requirement as I'm not sure how far away my computer will be for HDMI + wireless mouse/keyboard. I would also like to be able to game on the TV. I'm guessing the streaming video + gaming is the troublesome combination as they are different tasks and gaming is sensitive to lag. Streaming video will become more important when I'm in Beijing as many English streaming services will be unavailable. I will eventually build a server when I'm in China to manage storage and stream content but that could be several months out.

I've heard good things about Apple tv, but I tried when we tried to set up some apps like crunchy roll apple required a subscription through their app store which I didn't like. Maybe this would be easier on a decent android box, and add the steam app and latter add Plex?

What is the consensus between nVidia Shield TV, Amazon fire stick/cube, Chromecast, Steam Link or Moonlight app? It seems there are many solutions but none that really stand out?

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

With the move in mind, you got to remember some services like whole of Google is blocked in China. So it casts a big question mark over all Chromecasts.
    Have you considered the Chinese mainland version of Xiaomi streaming box. I know they are a competitor to Shield TV in the west with Android TV built-in.

I'm using Moonlight and Shield TV, I find both to be identical, both requires a nVidia GPU and both works the same way via Geforce Experience. You can try it out on your phone by downloading Moonlight app. (something I plan to do when iOS 14.5 finally arrives with xbox series controller support)

I've also found Steam Link (the app) to work well with anything on Steam through Big Picture mode, not so well for stuff outside Steam. There may be controller optimised Steam apps for your video streaming needs.

There is also Rainway. I've not tested it extensively because its background process messes up my wireless VR gaming.

Basically: bluetooth K&M/controller connected to something that works with wide range of apps (steam link, moonlight, rainway and others) that you can test is the answer. I find the hardware is less important, everything is good enough to do the job these days.

5. silk186

silk186 Derp

The whole google issue is something to consider for sure. I have a Xiaomi box and it works well for Chinese stuff and can be a pain for anything else. I bought one specifically for the Chinese content for my daughter so it does it's job.

I will look into Moonlight and Shield TV, as well as Miracast.