1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Pete J's thread of Lego building (current project: 76210 Iron Man Mark 44 Hulkbuster - Alternate)

Discussion in 'General' started by Pete J, 21 Sep 2019.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Update!

X-Wing Complete:

[​IMG]

The middle nose section (i.e. the white section from the grey nose to the windshield was quite fiddly but after some 'squidging', everything aligned. The s-foil opening mechanism is very stiff and requires you to turn an axle in the hole on tope while coaxing the wings open. Still, very happy with the result, and a hell of a lot more aesthetically pleasing compared to official Lego versions - there again, it's not a play model and would likely break if handed to a child.

I'm waiting for other parts to turn up for other projects:
    • Mjolnir parts are all here.
    • Robocop and ED-209 are awaiting a few more parts.
    • I've started collecting parts for the Chestburster.
    • Future Lego orders will also start adding parts for the Space Marine Dreadnought.
    On to the Y-Wing....

LennyRhys, MadGinga and IanW like this.
  2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Update:

Still sorting out parts:
    • Robocop and ED209 are pretty much 99% complete parts wise. Just need to put in a small order to finish it off.
    • Chestburster parts collection is well underway.
    • Metal Gear Rex is starting to fill a box.
    • Millennium Falcon has filled a box and is about to spill into a second box.
    • Space Marine Dreadnought has a few parts collected.
    I'm going to disassemble the previous small scale Millennium Falcon and recycle the parts as it'll be a bit defunct once the minifig scale version is made. Plus, this'll free up a small shelf for something else.

This popped up on my online shopping travels, and I had to have it:

[​IMG]

...it may be the nerdiest thing I have ever bought! It's fascinating - now I want to hunt down some old sets.

Also, a new Lego set announcement:

And finally, rumoured LEGO Star Wars 75296 Darth Vader’s Meditation Chamber.

IanW, liratheal and LennyRhys like this.
  3. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

The shuttle looks absolutely amazing. Huge amount of functionality and features packed into it, and a lot of bricks too. I wonder what the UK price will be, with the MSRP at $199.

4. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

UK price quoted as £169.99 and if you have VIP point for 1800 you can get the Ulysses probe (if you're lightning quick on release day)

Have you seen the probe droid/new helmets @Pete J ?
    linky

LennyRhys likes this.
  5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

WANT

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I really like the idea or the busts, but I'd prefer it if they were SNOT, like my Iron Man bust. Still, there's division on the issue of Lego models either actually looking like Lego, studs 'n' all, or trying to make a model look as real as you can. I'm in the latter camp.

Damn. Only have 1330 VIP points. MUST NOT USE AS AN EXCUSE TO BUY MORE LEGO.

Goes to look at potential sets to buy...

For eff's sake @MadGinga, now I realise this exists:

[​IMG]
    WHY DID YOU BRING THIS TO MY ATTENTION YOU UTTER B*****D?!

No I haven't bought it. Yet.:grr:

IanW likes this.
  7. MadGinga

Sorry, not sorry :p

Its on my want-radar too :(
    I know it doenst get you VIP point, but its been heavily discounted on Argos a few times in the last 6 months, but you have to be quick!

Pete J likes this.
  8. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

9. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Pre Easter update!

The Y-Wing is now over 50% complete:

[​IMG]

Other mini updates:
    • Final parts for Robocop and ED209 have arrived
    • Instructions for Metal Gear Rex bought (they have a nice intro from the designer)
    • The minifig scale Millennium Falcon has disappeared from Rebrickable! Damn glad I managed to download it beforehand.
    I'm at the folks' for Easter, so have taken parts for:

Robocop
    ED209
    Mjolnir
    E-11 Blaster Rifle
    Minifig scale Hulkbuster Mk2

Let's start with Mjolnir and see what I end up on...

10. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Mjolnir's almost complete...

[​IMG]

...but the designer mustn't have tried making it himself as there are clashing parts. Annoying, but fixable - unfortunately not with any spare parts I have. Oh well, at least it's another chance to purchase additional parts for other projects.

Not quite decided what to build next. The Stormtroooper Blaster is a likely candidate, but need to get other stuff done tomorrow.

LennyRhys likes this.
  11. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Missing some bits for the Stormtrooper blaster, so will have to add them to future orders. In the meantime, I may have outgeeked myself by purchasing this:

[​IMG]

Look forward to settling down and reading it one afternoon.

12. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Whelp, I'm on 'holiday' this week, taking time to potter around the house fixing things, taking care of stuff and chasing up hobbies. Lego wise, I'm hoping to finish the Y-Wing (hopefully no more missing parts) and God willing, maybe even the GT500 (though will settle for at least making a decent bit of headway with that).

Y-Wing progress:

[​IMG]

I've put in an order from the Netherlands for missing Mjolnir/Blaster parts.

I've also found three more MOCs I'm adding to the project list:

Ferrari SF90 Stradale

[​IMG]

I'm sure Lego must be lining up Ferrari for their next 1:8 scale car, but in the meantime, it'd be nice to add a red car to the collection - Mustang notwithstanding! A surprising amount of parts (4337), but the cost is not unreasonable (about the same as the Centenario).

Robocop

[​IMG]

Although I already have the parts for a 24cm tall version, this badboy is 55cm tall and looks damned amazing. I should be able to recycle most, if not all of the parts bought for the smaller one into this. I'm holding off buying the instructions for meow.

Sauron

[​IMG]

Not really a LotR fan, but come on, it's Sauron!

13. MadGinga

Go on, i'm gonna ask; why go for MOCs rather than official sets? fair enough for vehicles/items/etc that there arent official sets for, but why for those that are?

I see sets vs MOCs as an embodiment of the 80/20 rule.
    • Official sets get 80% of the accuracy for 20% of the cost
    • MOCs add the remaining 20% accuracy, but at 80% more cost.

And regarding the cost of that Ferrari, i bet my wife wouldnt agree on the assessment that the "cost is not unreasonable" - as far as i can tell she thinks the cost is unreasonable if it exceeds £50, and even then its deemed expensive :(

14. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Dead or alive, you're coming with me!

****in' A on the Robocop. Just finished printing the M93R Auto 9 myself.

@MadGinga I don't know for sure, 'cause I'm not deep in this rabbit hole, but my understanding is that the MOC's are often a little more involved and have different (Arguably better) solutions to some of the problems compared to the official kits - I guess because the official kits are restricted to current production pieces, where fan made stuff can be a little less restricted, because it's on the builder to source the parts, not them.

15. MadGinga

Dont get me wrong, some MOCs look so awesome its ridiculous, but it feels, to me, that they lose a bit of their Lego-ness in the process because they use way more pieces than if it had been produced by Lego. To me one part of the essence of Lego is wat you can create using the smallest number of pieces; but the attitude of (most) MOCs is to use as many pieces to make it perfect.

EDIT: they are more models/sculpture/artworks made of Lego, than Lego models.

Last edited: 13 Apr 2021
    bawjaws likes this.
  16. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I can see that argument for sure - But I'm nowhere near the kind of Lego fandom that some in this thread are! The only lego I own is used for building forms around things I'm making moulds of..

17. MadGinga

fair play. I dont know where i'd put myself on the fandom scale...

18. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

@MadGinga in a way, the point you bring up is one that seems to divide the Lego community. The two camps are:
    • Models should look like Lego and be done in as few pieces as possible to achieve this, or at least avoid lots of extra parts for the sake of a little bit more detail.
    • Models should be made as realistic as possible, damn the part count and techniques used.
    I'm in the latter camp, but that's to say I don't appreciate the view of the former. As you say, to me, they're actually a form of art. The more realistic models also tend to be harder to put together and so I find them more rewarding than vanilla models. Ultimately, the hobby is more akin to meditation for me and it really does take me factors longer to complete a model than someone else who would not necessarily rush through it, but isn't concerned if all the panels are facing the same orientation or whatnot. This leads on to the argument for at least making sure the model is as best as it can be if so much time is to be spent on it.

Also, as @liratheal says, MOCs tend to do things a bit 'better'. For example, in the case of the Chiron upgrade MOC, the 'powertrain' has been refined to reduce backlash and the suspension tweaked to eliminate the sagging the model is infamous for. Not to mention the addition of HOG steering and a gear selection indicator!

It also comes down to the fact that I'm willing to spend that much extra for what I consider to be an excellent model - must be the engineer in me! I plan to enjoy these models for years to come. I'm lucky/unlucky enough (delete as appropriate, grass is always greener etc.) to not have a family to worry about, so I have a reasonable amount of disposable income.

Tell you what, if I win the lottery, I'll fund a MOC for you so you can see the difference :thumb:.

19. MadGinga

I would debate that MOCs do things better, as that is inherently subjective; i would agree to MOCs do things more thoroughly. But then again, MOC covers everything from some half-ars*d PoS, to the absolute magnificent triumph of Lego part usage.
    MOCs that enhance existing sets are where my comment for the 80/20 rule really kick in; and will probably where my "first" MOC purchase will come from. (although i'm trying to line up purchasing the parts for the Osprey).

Yup, i suspect that i might be more amenable to MOCs if i had more disposable income, but then i might just buy more official sets :p
    I really love the engineering of the complex Technic sets (and some of the more "advanced" building techniques in System can be pretty awesome); especially when the represent something obviously physicial i.e. cranes, cement mixer, digger etc; not so fussed about the cars as the mechanics are generally hidden (doenst mean i wouldnt want to build, nor that I dont appreciate the complexity/skill/design, just that I want to be able to see the mechanism/results.

and kept for future reference in anticipation of your post to the Life is Awesome thread :D

@Pete J, I appreciate you taking you time to express your view on what can be quite a polarising question within the AFOL community. And although I may lean towards the Lego Purist/Set side, i can easily appreciate the quality and skill that goes into some MOCs.

Pete J likes this.
  20. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Y-Wing progress:

[​IMG]

The 'nacelles' at the end of the engines were a bloody nightmare to assemble. Just the cockpit to go!

IanW likes this.