1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pondering about watercooling my next project, input needed.

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Jean R built, 12 Apr 2021.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

You had me at 'ITX version of Da Module'....

Jean R built likes this.
  2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Just a thrown together blockout, needs a smaller GPU but works out to be 230mm x 270mm x 222mm (assuming the GPU is no taller than the rad). What do people think, worth me continuing in a full blog?

Esit: sorry for the thread hijack!

Attached Files:

Last edited: 14 Apr 2021
    Cheapskate and Jean R built like this.
  3. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Don't worry this Hijack is extremely cool :grin:

The big radiator/s small hardware is growing on me.

For the GPU, it depends the 3090 is huge, but you can shrink it a lot when converted to liquid cooling to 8.5" or 215.9 mm , so I'm pretty sure that it should not be a big problem.

4. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

I hope you will like it.

Before this thread it was going to be a low volume build a bit out of the norm, but now with the need to pack, proportionally speaking, a huge radiator area, it's getting wild :grin:

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Just a thrown
    This is what I used as a placeholder card, so it'd need to be something more bespoke to fit properly! I'll have to give it some thought! But you're right, big rads with tiny hardware it becoming strangely compelling!

Jean R built likes this.
  6. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Cool :cooldude:

So would you consider a triple 140 future proof?

I've made various sketches and by using a triple fan setup, the whole thing is still small enough, the longest part being obviously the radiator/s.

I've tried multiple rads and with a single longer one, as expected multiple radiators allow for more fun with exotic strange/cool configurations :grin:.

I've tested also some dual 280 configurations, but if it's not needed I would avoid it honestly, it does look strange, but it add so much volume that it lose a bit of the funny factor as it is not that small.

7. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

Have you considered asking a rad manufacturer for stats on their 140mm products?

EK have written blog posts about heat dissipation before, Eg https://www.ekwb.com/blog/radiators-part-2-performance/

With the quality of your last build it'd be worth a cheeky sponsorship request too!

Jean R built likes this.
  8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I've used a tripple 120 across 4 different builds and around a decade of use, always been fine, although I will note this are the 60mm thick ones!

Jean R built likes this.
  9. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Thanks for the replies :thumb:

I will check if I can find more specific info about the rads, thinking about it there are indeed a lot of builds with a single 360 radiator.

A single 420, even if slightly less fancy, would make the loop extremely simple, maybe even a bit safer on the leak prevention department.

But a triple 140 allow for some cool configurations.

Now I'm thinking about using the pump from corsair, but using a smaller reservoir to keep the volume on the smaller side, as I don't think that thermal efficiency would be influenced by it.

Bloody_Pete likes this.