1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU SFX PSU long term opinions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jean R built, 14 Apr 2021.

1. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Hi all,

I'm planning a new scratch build, I have always used ATX PSUs, but I'm going from Micro ATX to Mini-ITX, I'm thinking that I could shrink the PSU too.

I'm concerned about the long term reliability of the little ones, should I keep using the ATX ones?

And one more info that would help me a lot, are the SFX more noisy?

If there is a thread discussing this already, point me to that one so I can check it out.

Cheers :happy:

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

In my understanding they're thew same as an ATX one, just smaller and more expensive basically...

Jean R built likes this.
  3. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

They certainly can be noisier than ATX PSUs (and make a more annoying noise) as they typically have smaller fans. That said, a lot of PSUs, including SFX ones, are semi-passive so fan noise isn't necessarily that big a problem as your CPU/GPU fans will be spinning up under load anyway and will probably be louder than the PSU fan.

In terms of reliability I don't think there's any real difference between a good-quality ATX and SFX PSU.

Jean R built likes this.
  4. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

I have a Corsair SF600 and and SF750 (Gold and Platinum rated respectively). the 600 is about 6 years old and the 750 about 3 I thin. Both have never skipped a beat and have been as unnoticable as any ATX PSU I have ever had. Anecdotal I know, but that's my experience for what it's worth. I would happily stay with SFX from personal experince but yes, the inital cost can be a little more, but when going small, thats the price you pay.

Jean R built likes this.
  5. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Buy the SF750 (if you can find it) and don't worry about it ever again. Best PSU I ever owned.

6. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Thanks all for the kind replies.

My reasoning behind the question was, because technically both PSUs are more or less the same, the SFX one has less volume and a smaller fan doing the same work, and that it could lead to problems in the long run.

I'll check some reviews around for the noise department then, with the new project the PSU will probably be the screamapillar of the build :lol:.

I'll keep in mind that you had trouble free Corsair PSUs :thumb:.

Thanks again,

Kind regards

7. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

Just be careful if you start looking at the smaller Corsair SF600. There's two versions of it, one gold rated and one platinum. Both still on sale last I checked.

Apparently when the 5v rail on the gold gets loaded the fan ramps up to max, and doesn't ramp down without a full reboot. The platinum version doesn't have the same issue.

Jean R built likes this.
  8. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Thanks I will keep this in mind, having the PSU screaming nearby is not be pleasant :hehe:

9. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Just be aware that Corsair SFX PSUs have the least flexible cables in the world and are a total pain in the hoop if you're operating in limited space!

Jean R built likes this.
  10. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

They are different by model thought, my SF750 has braided cables vs the standard "plastic" cables on the SF450

Jean R built likes this.
  11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I've had the Gold SF600 for two years without ever experiencing that.

Funny thing - I was just on about this the other day, elsewhere - I think Corsair make sh!tty, unreliable keyboards, plasticky over-priced mice, garish rainbow puke peripherals and suspect AIOs; but their PSUs are something I wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

Jean R built likes this.
  12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

This is what I feel about logitech, had my Corsair stuff last vastly longer than all of the Logitech stuff I've bought! Plus I think Corsair were the first to use metal bodies in mice too :p

Jean R built likes this.
  13. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

I can't remember now which review went through testing it in detail, (I've read so many trying to decide which sfx unit to get myself) the ones on Toms Hardware definitely highlight the gold being a lot louder than the platinum in their separate reviews. There's plenty of forum threads from a 'noisy SF600' search too.

Might just be a vocal minority massively overloading the 5v rail with RGB strips and causing themselves problems. I don't want to risk it, and will likely go with the 750. Something tells me you're not an RGB lover David :hehe:

Jean R built likes this.
  14. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I'd buy the 750 too, if I was in the market. The extra headroom is always nice to have.
    Scurrilous slander! Whatever gave you that idea?! :lol:
    Just another reason to hate the puke. :thumb:

Jean R built likes this.
  15. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

From your feedback, I'm aiming for the SF750, Da Module Thingy in working conditions, so I'm in no hurry, I will be prowling waiting for a good deal.

Like @David said, having a bit of headroom will make the build more future proof, if it is less noisy too, all the better.

As for Logitech, my best experience is my G15 that still works, after gifting a mechanical keyboard to my brother some time ago I'm sure that I will move to mechanical keyboard eventually, but the G15 was/is good friend in my PC life.

Cheers

Arboreal likes this.
  16. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

May be useful to you:

SF600
    [​IMG]

SF750
    [​IMG]

17. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder