1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU The Xeon e3 1230 v2 Problem upon install / GPU not working after posting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maple, 22 Apr 2021.

1. maple

maple Minimodder

So I currently have an LGA 1155 system with an i5 2400 & I am looking at maxing it out, I have so far upgraded the Ram to the max allowed by the mobo (16GB) as well as the GPU. Now I am looking to upgrade the cpu, I was looking at the i7 3770 when I came across the Xeon. The Xeon seems to have very similar specs to the i7, both are 4C/8T and is quite a bit cheaper so would it be a worthwhile upgrade?

My board is the Asus P8H61 Pro.

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Comparing them on Ark, the i7 has 200MHz higher boost frequency, a higher TJunction (thermal ceiling), and an iGPU. The Xeon has a lower TDP (probably the lower boost speed). Have you checked in the Xeon is on the supported CPU list for that board?

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

That Xeon is officially supported on the board, so it would be fine on that front.
    You do lose 200mhz turbo frequency though compared to the 3770.

Just had a quick look at the bay of flea and given the size of the price gap I'd go for the Xeon.

4. maple

maple Minimodder

The Asus website says compatible with 2nd Gen i3, i5, i7. No mention of 3rd gen even though they are also 1155 & also no mention of Xeon but since they are 1155 should work right

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

You know what they say about assumptions...

BeauchN likes this.
  6. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

You might need a BIOS update

7. maple

maple Minimodder

Doesn't seem to be any updates on the Asus website at all for this board

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Last edited: 22 Apr 2021
    maple likes this.
  9. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Check the link @Anfield posted. The Xeon 1230v2 requires BIOS version 4303 or later, it has a link to get the BIOS too

EDIT: I think that link might be for the P8H61M Pro. If yours is the non-M version try this link: https://www.asus.com/uk/supportonly/P8H61 PRO/HelpDesk_CPU/

That says 1230v2 support from BIOS 4012, the download will be on the 'Drivers & Tools > BIOS and Firmware' tab of that page.

maple likes this.
  10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Oops my bad, link fixed.

maple likes this.
  11. maple

maple Minimodder

Thank you for that, I have managed to update it. Now just before I purchase the Xeon, it will be used for general usage and some gaming. I should expect to see some increase from the i5 right?

Of course I am not expecting it to be as great an increase as a modern i5/i7 which I know would cost a great deal more due to requiring a whole new platform though I am hoping it will benefit newer games more so than the i5 2400 did due to the extra threads. MSFS/Forza Horizon 4/RDR 2 etc

12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Something like a i5-11400F would indeed be a far bigger upgrade... but I reckon you are better off with a small upgrade now and then save up for a "proper" upgrade down the line when DDR5 / AM5 / LGA1700 / Zen4 etc are out.

I'd reckon you should get in the ballpark of 10 - 30% depending on the game from the i5-2400 to the Xeon with newer games benefitting more.

maple likes this.
  13. maple

maple Minimodder

Thanks I have ordered the Xeon. Another thing, the power supply which I am using is coming up to around ten years old now even though it is working fine should I perhaps be looking to replace it? It is a Coolermaster Silent Pro Modular 500w. I have been looking at this PSU from Evga however there don't seem to be any proper reviews for it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-WHITE...=computers&sprefix=Power+,aps,184&sr=1-4&th=1

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Should be fine, that Xeon ain't too different in terms of power consumption compared to the I5, so if it worked with one it'll work with the other.

That being said, in the longer term I'd def look towards replacing it along with the rest of the system when the new platforms are out.

maple and Bloody_Pete like this.
  15. maple

maple Minimodder

Bit of a hiccup here, I have received and installed the Xeon however upon switching on the PC it turned itself off immediately - its never done this before. I waited a few seconds tried again, this time it got to the windows loading screen where the dots go round before switching off another time. Could the Xeon be faulty or what could this be? Have checked all the connections everything is still plugged in.

16. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Cooler mounted correctly? RAM installed correctly?

17. maple

maple Minimodder

Yeah the cooler is in fine, the Ram I didn't remove. However I have since restarted without doing anything to it and so far its reached the desktop it's been at least 10 minutes no issues so far, temperatures are OK although they are fluctuationing quite a bit even on the desktop without doing anything. (30c-52c)

18. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

52c while well within safety limits does sound a bit high for doing nothing, as suggested by noizdaemon666 remounting the cooler may help.

Also you might want to try resetting the bios to default settings as it is feasible that the new CPU doesn't like some setting you've applied in the past for the old one.

maple likes this.
  19. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

From what I recall "unexpected" reboots when you install a new BIOS or CPU are usually for a reason. The board could be re learning the memory, CPU etc. If it keeps doing it? that is when you have trouble.

The erratic temps on the other hand? could be a bit more of an issue. Was that CPU soldered? if so the solder may be deteriorating, or the paste could be failing. It could be, however, Windows downloading updates, which can cause all sorts of rubbish until it's been done. It will certainly need a different micro code than the one you were using before. IIRC it supports functions that the 2400 doesn't. Things you need for virtual machines and etc. Which is why, at that time, I used an AMD FX. As it did support all of that.

maple likes this.
  20. maple

maple Minimodder

No more powering off shenanigans since then though I'll need to give it a proper go and use the PC normally for perhaps an hour or so or more to see if it happens again.

Something else I have noticed is my Asus Zonar DG sound card which was working fine prior to the new CPU has suddenly stopped working and is now appearing as an unidentified device in device manager