1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Any hirers/managers? Is an interviewee mentioning they have other interviews good or bad?

Discussion in 'General' started by oscy, 7 May 2021.

1. oscy

oscy Modder

I suddenly find myself in demand and beating off interviewers... (with a stick).

I'm sure the official advice is: this is bad, because you're supposed to say MY GOSH I've dreamed of working for Tesco, I know their history by heart, and no I've not applied anywhere else. It's Tesco or nothing because I love them so much and have no ambition.

But my thinking: if the boss was a real human, then someone in demand's sexier than the outcast no one wants and who might be desperate. I'd appreciate the heads-up. As long as it's not arrogantly said.

(I Googled it, but I'm also so aware that official advice about job stuff is full of OCD inaccuracies that'll make you fuss and tweak a CV forever worrying about layouts and words, when the reality is a manager usually skims it going straight to work experience and if you're local, while being wordy about your retail till job is obvious that you're tarting up a basic task pretentiously.)

Last edited: 7 May 2021
  2. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

So in my opinion if someone was good and was interviewing elsewhere I may fast track them.

I have never heard looking elsewhere as a bad thing, it's as much on them selling you the company as you wanting to join

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Not a hiring manager, but I've been asked if I've had other interviews or if I've applied elsewhere. I think honesty is the best policy. If you're asked tell them what you're doing with respect to other applications. Its not something I would bring up deliberately though. Not because its good or bad, its just largely irrelevant. As deathtaker says it just allows them to fast track you if they think your a good match.

4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

If someone told me words to this effect I would immediately think that something's a bit off.

Two options...

1) I've not interviewed anywhere else yet, because I'm at the start of this whole shebang
    2) I've been interviewing at other places because I'm really keen on finding something that's right for me. (and have something ready for the inevitable follow up of what that is, and is this that)

FWIW anyway.

I've interviewed approximately one million people in the last 10 years, give or take. I'm not sure I've ever raised the question specifically, and it's not on my "oh must find this out" list. I would generally assume if I'm interviewing someone, others are as well.

But I'm me, and other's aren't me, so YMMV.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  5. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I've never asked a candidate if they've got any other interviews, tbh I just assume that we can't be the only company that they've applied for. Ultimately if they're the best candidate for the job then they'll be offered it.

6. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I assume that people who are looking have more than one iron in the fire.

I would and I try to hire people more intelligent than me.

Interviewing 274 people a day? Rookie numbers....

LennyRhys and Mister_Tad like this.
  7. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Blimey, I am so out of touch, I've not had an interview in 20 years.
    But I'd go with the honest answer, why ever consider not.

8. oscy

oscy Modder

'Cause the right answer is better! :hehe:

9. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

I wouldn't offer the information but would be honest if asked.

I have been asked at interview but in my line of work there weren't many teams so it's sort of anticipated that you go and meet the others to see if they match what you're after.

I just don't see the fast track mentioned above as that useful. If you like them and they like you then you can hold an offer from somewhere else while they get their offer to you. But just blurting out you're looking elsewhere devalues the apparent esteem you hold the interviewing company in.

Reflecting a bit on what you said, you could perhaps outline your recent experience suggests your skills are in demand so you're eager to find the right fit for you so have other interviews lined up to make sure you're aware of what opportunities are available.

LennyRhys likes this.
  10. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Arguably maybe, morally maybe not, if you are in demand just play it straight down the middle.

Yeah, That

11. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Answer honestly. If you have an offer on the table already let them know. No one likes being kept waiting and they may speed up their decision.

Certainly not bad or unusual to interview multiple places

12. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

As a hiring manager it doesn't influence my decision. I look through a lot of CV's and pick the best based on the information available and the rest of the interview process is to pick holes in the CV and find the truth in the questions I ask. I'll never ask if they have applied for other jobs(I'd be amazed if they haven't, unless they are already employed in a good job and are just fishing for a specific job) and if the person I'm interviewing volunteers this kind of information I'll ignore it as I always have a second option to fall back on. My way of looking at it is they applied for the job(along with others), I'm deciding who I think is best. If they decide not to take the job for that's their choice, I know I can always employ someone else.

13. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

I actually had this dilemma a couple of weeks ago when hunting for a new job. In my line of work there is a large shortage of skilled workers and I have a decent CV with lots of experience. I found myself with three set interviews and I told the agent plainly that I do have other interviews lined up, just to be open and honest. They fast tracked me because they really needed someone. Took me less than two days from job hunting to landing a permanent job.

Goatee likes this.
  14. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

When I was searching last year I think it only ever came up with recruiters rather than people actually interviewing me, regardless be honest if it does, no reason not to be in my opinion. Think companies have got over the idea that you should want to work there more than anything else in the world, and most realise there are going to be lots of good jobs so won't be offended that you're also considering others.

15. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Just weighing in on the honesty-vs-correctness scale: I agree with longbeard, due to a job interview I had many years ago. I was fresh outta uni, applying for everything under the sun. Mostly getting nowhere with the "I really want to be part of your company" patter. Interviewed for a roofing heat solutions company, did no prep, was very honest with them. Relevant experience? None. Is this my passion? Not specifically, but it sounds interesting (it actually did). I asked a lot of questions about what they do, discussed how it works and how clients are handled. Asked questions about what my role would be. Openly admitted I knew nothing about them, hadn't done any research or prep for the interview. When asked why not, I simply said the truth - this is my 30th interview this fortnight, I've had a lot of unsuccessful interviews and I don't feel it's worth thoroughly researching every company beforehand.

They were surprised. They said most people research ahead and prep. We went on to have those conversations about the role, the work, the products, etc. and it became apparent that I had no relevant experience beyond a general familiarity with computers (the role was CADding up blueprints for clients).

They offered me the job a week later. Said I was one of two people they really wanted for it, that I was by far one of the brightest and most promising people they'd had. My candour and transparency had made a good impression, and my genuine interest in finding out what the work would entail was much more important than having a well rehearsed patter about "you are my dream company" etc.

I learned an important lesson there about being yourself, one which was later reinforced by social experiences with friends and partners. Be yourself. If a person, group or business respond well to it, you belong in each other's lives: if not, you don't. If you commence a personal or business relationship with a false impression of yourself, you're going to have to maintain it forever or eventually be discovered as a bullshitter.

16. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yeah, this used to be a massive tech bro thing, mainly to fulfil their egos!

To OP the only people who will really care are recruiters, as their comission depends on getting you. Its why I avoid recruiters! The only time this is vaguely useful is in salary and compensation negotiations, as you can say 'x offered me this and y offeref my that, so I'd be looking for a minimum of z for your offer to be compeitive!'

17. oscy

oscy Modder

This is a warming story, but also the fact is once I changed my surname from a long and possibly 'terroristy' one to one in the tier of Homer's very white 'Max Power', I've been relatively flooded with job offers compared to the near-silence of my early years.

That episode is worryingly close to the mark.

18. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

what? 30? how? where?

19. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

It was a long time ago, the early 2010s, and I was on the dole, and therefore applying for absolutely every single thing in the universe. Caravan cleaning? Dream job. Checkout? Dream job. Post office? Dream job. Picking fruit? Dream job.

I was summarily rejected from all the other attempts specifically because I approached it with a printed CV, and because that CV detailed my recent degree. Literally nobody wants to hire a recent graduate for menial work; they're obviously not going to stay, and probably going to be lazy and slow-working.

As soon as I took the degree off the CV, I got proper call-backs, and the job I ended up actually getting and building a career from, I simply wandered up there and spoke to the business owner. I don't think he even saw or asked for my CV.

20. oscy

oscy Modder

What happened to that honesty? :grin:

boiled_elephant likes this.