1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Disappointing custom loop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sgoaty, 11 May 2021.

1. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

I did my first custom loop today in around 15 years as I wanted to see if I could get a bit more out of my 5950x ( not because I need it but just because :) )

I removed my Corsair h110i 280 aio which I was running with ML140 fans on custom quietish profile. This was giving me a cinebench/ intel burn test Max temperature of around 75-77c which was pretty reasonable for what it is in my opinion.

I've now fitted 2 x 280 rads with 4 phanteks fans and a bitspower summit AM4 CPU block and was only able to match the temperature at best even with the fans at full speed.

I've repasted twice and it's made no difference. I noticed the block doesn't completely cover the IHS so I wonder If it's that that's not up to the job? Just wanted to see what other people's thoughts are on it.

The loop goes pump -top of front rad- bottom of front rad- right hand side of top rad- left hand side of top rad- cpu block - pump. I've tried the pump at various speed settings and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Also the radiators don't seem to be getting warm.

I'll add some photos as soon as I figure out how :)
    Thanks
    Scott

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Yeh the coldplate on that block doesn't look great, is this the one you have?
    [​IMG]

Looks like bitspower agreed as there's a v2 with a bigger contact patch
    [​IMG]
    I'd return it and get a v2 if you still want that block, or if you'd prefer something else I'd recommend Watercool Heatkiller blocks. There's a few options for choice as well, either their more budget friendly 'basic' models or the slightly more pricey 'pro' versions with slightly better cooling engines.

3. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

4. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

Yes that's the first version is the one I have. I bought it all used so I don't have the option of returning it but I'm not averse to the idea of buying a new block.

Thanks very much for that crapman it's really helpful information!

MLyons likes this.
  5. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Sgoaty and kim like this.
  6. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

You're welcome. Very odd design choice from bitspower, the contact patch only just looks big enough for a GPU ram module. lol

Sgoaty likes this.
  7. kim

kim hardware addict

I spotted out this brand recently and ordered the same waterblock for my Ryzen, I was thinking about posting a thread, to present this new product to the community, with temps results...but maybe I'm already outdated...:worried:

MLyons likes this.
  8. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

I'd be interested in seeing this :)

MLyons and kim like this.
  9. kim

kim hardware addict

I mean to say... I did not see any review for this block yet, but believed it was certainly a great block, Germans generally produce high end cooling products... I shall receive it soon, so I will post about it...:grin:

10. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Definitely a review / thoughts would be great. I have a 1151/1200 version sat awaiting a new build.

Here is the reason I recommended it: https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/review-liquid-cooling-with-a-techn-waterblock,5.html

sandys, The_Crapman and kim like this.
  11. kim

kim hardware addict

That's it :thumb:, thanks for the link, it prooves that what I thought was right, but now that I have watch this, I wonder if I am able to add anything relevant...:sigh: ... besides, I don't have so many blocks to compare... :grin:

12. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Totally, it beats the Optimus block and isn't as restrictive. What more could you want?

13. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

Any experience of the ek quantum velocity? There's one of those for sale on OCUK forum at the moment.

14. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

Or ek supremecy Evo. Been offered one of those too. Thanks

15. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

EK suff is good, but a bit overpriced IMO, so if you can get it in good condition for cheaper then go for it (depending on price)

Goatee likes this.
  16. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

Just make sure the quantum velocity is the AMD version. Mounting hardware and jet plate are different between AMD and intel, and whilst you get the jet plates for both, you don't get the mounting hardware for both.

I'm happy with mine, but then the only thing I have to compare it to is an ancient Koolance block.

17. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

Both blocks are available for £30 although the RGB on the velocity isn't working as the cable is damaged. I do like the look of the techn one but it's very expensive I had it in my basket but the import duty has stopped me pulling the trigger so far

18. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I didn't pay anything over what techn charged

19. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

Was that pre Brexit?

20. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Last month. I was expecting import duties but nothing.

Obviously you mileage may vary.

Sgoaty likes this.