1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Headphones for movies and gaming

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silk186, 21 May 2021.

1. silk186

silk186 Derp

I'm finally set up in my office with my laptop and desktop and I'm looking for a decent pair of headphones to upgrade from my Beats Solo3. I mostly used them for video content and some gaming. I don't mind gaming headphones but don't need a microphone. I was looking around and came across the Beyerdynamic TYGR 300 R based on recommendations but it seems they are difficult to get right now because of BREXIT. What are the best options available in the UK under £300?

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I love my Sony WH1000-XM3s (and the new XM4s are an apparent improvement, particularly if using the microphone for calls), but they're not audiophile stuff. The noise cancelling is great, AptX HD to my phone is lovely, and the 3.5mm wired connection works great on the desktop and on the Xbone (by plugging it into the controller). No complaints.

3. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Under £300 you'd be hard pushed to beat the Sony WH1000-XM4s, £279 on Amazon. Like G, my wife is very happy with her XM3s.

4. silk186

silk186 Derp

Are wired no longer better?

Last edited: 21 May 2021
  5. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Wired headphones in the same price bracket will almost certainly sound better, if you drive them with a DAC/headphone amp good enough to make the most of them. Bluetooth will always limit the performance of even the best wireless options. With sub £300 wired headphones, a very good music focussed soundcard will likely do a good job. I used AKG K550s with an Asus Xonar Essence STX and that combination worked well.

After reading G's post, I made the mistake of thinking you wanted wireless.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The XM3s (and XM4s) can operate in wired mode too. (Which is good, 'cos the XM3s don't have multi-device profiles - so you have to make 'em forget your phone if you want to Bluetooth 'em to your laptop.)

The active noise cancelling works in both wired and wireless modes (and can be switched off if you prefer.)

7. silk186

silk186 Derp

I have a pair of Sennheiser MOMENTUM True Wireless 2 that I wear when I'm out of the house so wireless is not a requirement, as long as they can operate in wired mode when flying and with my Oculus Quest 2. As they will be used with VR, travel and a laptop until I relocate and can build a high-end desktop I need something that doesn't require a DAC to shine. I was watching some videos where it was suggested that recent wireless headphones focus on noise-cancelling over sound quality, so I was thinking a wired solution would better match my needs.

8. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

i got the drop Drop THX Panda for music use but have used it alot more for movies/tv alot more at night when kids are a sleep and worth looking into pairs nicely with my HT amp over bluetooth. but because its drop you will get import duty on them

9. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

i bought a used pair of bose qc35 headphones on ebay for under 100 quid in excellent condition, sounds amazing when im gaming, or watching movies, listening to music. There Bluetooth with up to a 30-hour battery, and i grabbed a cheap £20 boom mic from amazon which sounds phenomenal, better than any gaming headset i ever owned.

10. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Nothing beats Beyerndynamic MX300 for pure reference sound with a high quality mic at about £250.

11. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

OP said they didn't want a microphone.

12. silk186

silk186 Derp

At least the mic needs to be removable.