1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V PITA sound issue

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by ModSquid, 13 Apr 2021.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

'Ello again!

Hope all are well! Another lockdown day, another poser.

Have a second (main gaming) box running through an Aten switch (CS-1744) along with the laptop I'm using for workystuff. Sound from laptop speakers was a shocker so had a Cambridge USB DAC plugged in and running through the switch - sorted. Whenever I/the kids wanted to game on the main box, I just popped out the USB DAC from the laptop to the main box physically and everything was fine (with correct drivers installed, of course) bar reduced volume on main box vs the laptop, oddly...

I then thought I'd buy a cheap Sabrent USB DAC (since everyone and their mouse seems to be buying Sabrent SSDs these days) to chuck in the back of the gaming box purely to save swapsying, but even though it's a PnP job (AU-MMSA), something has gone the way of the drain.

I can still get sound from the Sabrent to the switch/amp, but the channels are swapped, so when I do a Windows sound test "L" is now a weak R speaker output and "R" is now a stronger L speaker output.

I switched the Cambridge back in to the gaming box to test and same occurred. I plugged headphones into front panel and same occurred. By the way, I'm using USB because I think the board's back panel jacks are screwed (or something else, but either way, the green jack does nothing now when used directly). I've plugged straight into the headphone output of the amp to eliminate speakers and same occurred, so it seems it's definitely a PC issue. I've now uninstalled the Cambridge drivers but no difference.

Board is Asus (grr...!) Maximus IV Extreme-Z. Was working fine until switch of USB sound adapters.

Is there something I'm missing/something else I can try?

Thanks in advance, team!

2. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Just fired up a second installation disk on the same box with the Sabrent (accidentally) still plugged in.

Same issue now occurring soundwise - is there likely to be some Cambridge/Sabrent driver conflict that's reversing channels? Or are the Sabrent drivers just a bit toot?

Laptop sound using Cambridge DAC only is fine. And louder.

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

It's likely windows not liking multiple sound drivers, or the new tendency to keep previously used settings even if they were broken. You used to be able to input and output sound simultaneously, I'm unable to do that anymore too.
    (I'm def not an expert, and we desperately need a sound guy on Bit.)

4. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Does anyone happen to know of a driver uninstaller (can't remember if I used Driver Cleaner some time ago with little result, or was told not to use it because it's a bit spyware-y, so haven't used that this time around) I can use to make sure both Cambridge and Sabrent drivers are cleaned off, so I can then start again with just Sabrent?

5. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Maybe the channels are switched inside the Sabrent DAC. Does this issue occur from other sources too?

6. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I can't actually get any other sources to work properly, sadly. The green audio jack just refuses to play ball, the USB Sabrent has hijacked the Cambridge DAC (which was working fine until the Sabrent got plugged in, albeit at a reduced volume level) and now I have this bizarre issue with the sound being reversed and reduced.

Is there a way to check what's happening with the Sabrent ie. channels switching etc.?

7. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Have come back to this one after some time away doing more urgent stuff and have come across the Guru 3D DDU Display Driver Uninstaller on my travels across this forum. Does anyone know of something similar to this that might remove all vestiges of both Sabrent and Cambridge audio drivers so that I can start again, or even whether the DDU will perform the same function (it mentions on the G3D page that it might help with Realtek audio...)?