1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Any hirers/managers? Is an interviewee mentioning they have other interviews good or bad?

Discussion in 'General' started by oscy, 7 May 2021.

1. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I'm a philosophy grad, don't even get me started on whether omission is a form of dishonesty :D

LennyRhys likes this.
  2. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Go on, let's test how much disk space the bit-tech database has free :worried:

boiled_elephant likes this.
  3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I had exactly the same problem when I graduated, although I was busy applying for just about every office job I could find that was vaguely technical. On the rare occasion I heard anything back it was basically "you're way overqualified", yet the ones at a more advanced level all said "You need 2 years experience in industry". Crazy.

LennyRhys and boiled_elephant like this.
  4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I've been involved in interviews, and recently (although not personally involved in the process) I'm in the loop of all the interviews currently happening at my own place of work. I can guarantee that if any interviewee was to volunteer that they "have other interviews" it would look really bad - as if to say "I'm interviewing you as a prospective employer."

I mean... even if it's not meant to, it comes off as cocky. Perhaps my attitude is a reflection on how difficult it is to get a job in the video games industry, and the interview process may be very different in another vocation. I guess it's related to what @boiled_elephant said about sincerity, because most candidates are at a similar skill level but will typically be hired based on their suitability for the team at an interpersonal level. One guy applied for a job with us a couple of years ago and he outshone all the other candidates, but we didn't hire him because he was up his own ass.

5. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Yeah. That.

What bugs me is when people with lousy personalities act like they're being discriminated against or treated arbitrarily in hiring, as though simply having all the relevant skills and experience gives you a right to a job. You may be technically suitable to the work, but other people are gonna have to work alongside you, and you need to be suitable for them too. Which means being a fundamentally likeable person.

LennyRhys likes this.
  6. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

Eh. As a hiring manager I've interviewed near a hundred people over the last 5 or 6 years. It's relatively uncommon, but I've been told that candidates have other interviews by themselves or the agency they have come through and it hasn't particularly bothered me. We're typically hiring very skilled individuals in a high-demand sector, who don't know the inner workings of the role based on the job description they've been given, so of course they are going to multiple interviews to find a role and company that best fits them.

LennyRhys likes this.
  7. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Just thought I'd say, that they are, or they should be. They're choosing to give most of their waking hours to working for someone, you bet they should be interviewing the company as much as the company is interviewing them. (not something I'm actually great at doing but still :D)

8. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Completely agree. An interview is a two way process, if you don't want me as a boss (or a colleague) then the interview is the time to find that out.

9. oscy

oscy Modder

This is wrong now? I would be wary of an interviewer with this cocky mindset themselves!

10. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

No its definitely not wrong. Its important to get a sense of what an employer / manager / team is going to be like.

11. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

@GeorgeStorm I'm not saying that an interview isn't a two-way process; I'm saying that an interview is principally conducted by the hiring party and therefore they have the upper hand (although there are exceptions, like headhunting for example).

In an average job interview, the candidate is the underdog. A person who after interview is offered a job and decides not to take it because "it wasn't right for them" is a person in a position of privilege.

@oscy I've been to many interviews with cocky interviewers, and I've always taken a job offer regardless because - lo and behold - I needed work, like every other unemployed person in the country. I get the feeling that the people of Bit Tech don't represent the working class!

12. oscy

oscy Modder

Of course, but if an employer interviewed with that attitude and you received another offer, you're gonna go with the other one. Yeah they can just throw a dart at one of the hundreds of other CVs they get to hire, but if they're like that each time they hire, they end up with high staff turnover while the good workers walk out in frustration to greener pastures or 'retire'. I've seen it bring production to a halt in at least one workplace (Brita).

I always figured Bit Tech was full of the middle class and higher up positions, so that's why I asked this question here. But it's definitely not my background. I wish.

LennyRhys likes this.
  13. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

439 is we take in to consideration 8 bank holidays, 25 days annual leave and 104 days of weekends a year.

Goatee likes this.
  14. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

I do a lot of recruitment.

Hiring over qualified people who you'll just end up needing to replace in 3 months is generally a no no, interviewing is one of the most time consuming and costly things you can loose time to, you don't want to do it more than you absolutely have to!

Last edited: 29 May 2021
  15. Bazz

Bazz Multimodder

Not so much, had an interview not so long ago, and they asked some questions which I felt was outside of the position I applied for
    Once the interview was finished, they explained that it's a good way to see how the person thinks, some questions seemed logical but turned out to be analytical
    No such thing as a right answer in an interview, only if you tick the boxes they are looking at

Regardless, if anyone is going to an interview, the best practice is to study the employer and their business, the potential job, and make sure you do not have any expectations

Don't forget, one of the hardest questions they all ask, if why you want to work there, most people think money, but rather saying that, they come up with another answer to feel comfortable

The best interview I ever had was, a business director took over the interview from HR, asked me 3 or 4 questions, then said "based on what you have heard and seen, can you do the job", I said "yes"
    Spent 3 years of my life working for a boss who understood things, from management down to the actual work being done
    Wish more employers would follow this approach and informal interviews are far better than formal ones

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  16. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

The best interviews I’ve been involved in (as an interviewee) has always been where it’s a member of the team or actual manager, you get a real understanding of the role and the people you will be working with.
    When it’s HR or an external recruiter it’s usually just a bunch of generic CBI questions, from someone with little in-depth knowledge of the role.

Bazz likes this.
  17. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Tell 'em the truth : NO, I've got no other interviews lined up, BECAUSE, I've just got this job ... What's my start date ?

18. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

This is why I only work for small team SME's now, anything larger is just horrible hiring experience and working you just feel like a drone. I'll gladly take the pay hit for a better working experience!

Bazz, boiled_elephant and enbydee like this.
  19. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Since I've been on the job hunt...again :rollingeyes:, I thought I'd post. I've told recruiters that I am actively pursuing other roles when asked. To a point that it actually requires effort on my part to keep track of which recruiter is putting an applications into what company. As I think about it, it is probably to point out demand, but it's also just the truth. But again I don't volunteer the info, just respond truthfully when asked.