1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

For those who haven't seen
    [​IMG]

LennyRhys and Byron C like this.
  2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Now that I like...

3. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

It is a nice looking set. I’ve been trying to spend less time on the proto[Typist] site as a lot of my money was going that way, but I am mightily tempted by that one

4. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

Feels like I've completed a rite of passage today, building my first kit (YMDK numpad kit)

Painted up ready for assembly
    [​IMG]

And the finished article :grin:
    [​IMG]

The only slight downside is I now want an actual keyboard that runs QMK firmware.

wyx087, Vault-Tec, Goatee and 2 others like this.
  5. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

I've just ordered a set of PiPi Gherkin PCBs (and matching top and bottom plates) from JLCPCB and I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for suitable keycaps? If it helps I went wth the Blue silkscreen for all 3 PCBs. There will be no lightling on these.

6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

No help from me with regards to caps, but... holy crap that is a tiny keyboard! How the hell does anyone do anything productive on a keyboard that small?!

7. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

You need function layers, lots of function layers…

8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah, no kidding! I couldn't even cope without a full-sized Home/End cluster, it drove me mad having to use a Fn-key combo...

9. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

I did order a KBDfans D45 to try out an even smaller form factor. It’s being shipped at the moment so I’ll have a play around when I’m home next, but I’m not sure it’s going to work out.

For my money I think HHKB/60% is about the smallest I want to go.

10. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

I've been using 60% as my default kbd for years now and I like the compactness and get on ok with the fn layers. I'm using the 30% Gherkin to see how something even smaller and with an Ortho layout goes. Plus it gave me a chance to try ordering a PCB from one of the small scale phabs.

11. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

The smallest I've ever been was the Leopold FC660 and Ducky MIYA, not sure I would want any smaller. TKL is still my favourite home layout, full-size at work.

Byron C likes this.
  12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Smallest actual-daily-use keyboard - i.e. not a pocket Bluetooth keypad for mobile use - I've got is the Keyboardio Atreus:

upload_2021-6-15_13-14-39.png

Disclaimer: I still haven't found time to properly learn the layout, but I *can* type on it. Slowly...

13. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

I nearly bought one of those a few months ago. I’m half tempted to try an ergonomic board, but still not fully convinced I’m going to like it. I think I’ll need to learn to type again! Though that might not be a bad thing!

14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

When I started getting RSI-like symptoms in my finger joints - 'cos I type a lot, every damn day - I switched to a Maltron:

upload_2021-6-15_15-1-38.png

I kept the QWERTY layout, though, rather than switching to Maltron's own. Took some getting used to, and for the price the build quality on those is *terrible*, but I think it helped.

These days, I just switch out keyboards every few weeks - seems to work by giving my fingers a change in what they're doing. My rotation at the moment is a Durgod Fusion, a Keychron thing, a full-size Filco Majestouch, the Maltron, and an IBM Model F. Mostly the Durgod and Keychron, though, because they both use removable USB Type-C cables so I can just unplug one and plug the other one in its place without having to fiddle with the cabling!

15. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Really enjoying my Keychron K3 jobo. Convinced a friend to also get the K3. He got it with black switches. I'd like to get the brown switches but the 9 usd shipping puts me off a little bit. If only if they were the price of the the switches + shipping but with free shipping...

16. Gareth Halfacree

17. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

With VAT and customs charges, you're looking at what, £350? More?

18. Gareth Halfacree

$319 is £230 at interbank rates, give or take. 20 per cent VAT on top is £276. Handling charges are usually south of £20, but let's say £20 - which brings us to £296. Customs Duty is 2.5 per cent, so that brings us to £303ish.

Shouldn't be more than that, unless someone's taking the Michael somewhere along the way.

Spenny, for sure, but given I spend more time typing on a keyboard than literally doing anything else, I'm willing to pony up.

19. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Well, it looks like someone was definitely taking the michael when I got quotes for shipping stuff from the states - customs and handling charges really seemed to ramp up with declared value.

20. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

I certainly can’t justify any more keyboards… :worried: