1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Last of the splurging for a while... unless by some miracle I'm able to get a 3070 at a price that isn't hyper-inflated.

I liked my other half's chair so much that I got myself one instead of a standing desk - Secret Lab Titan XL

PU Leather version because the fabric version won't be in stock until July. This is fine though, turns out it doesn't really make me sweaty like I thought it would.

[​IMG]

Simba "Hybrid" Mattress Topper (just the topper, not the mattress)

Wanted a new mattress, but turns out we've severely under-budgeted what we'd need to pay for something decent - settled on a fancy mattress topper instead. Seems comfy af so far...!

[​IMG]

Simba "Hybrid" Pillow

I get really warm at night sometimes - really warm - and my pillows get a bit sweaty and gross, so I replace them every 6-12 months or so. I was already spending over £250ish on a mattress topper, so what's another £100 on a decent pillow instead of my usual cheap-ass Argos fare?

[​IMG]

dbrand skin for my Macbook Pro. I didn't realise it would be textured - gonna take me some time to get used to that...

[​IMG]

Acme Made "Skinny Sleeve" for my Macbook Pro. Unexpected share dividend payment came though so.... why not.

[​IMG]

Keychron K8 Wireless (Alu frame, RGB backlight, hot-swappable keys, Gateron Blue) - UK Layout.

I do love my refubished keyboard, but I'm gonna try all wireless for a bit. I already have a wireless Razer mouse (Basilisk Hyperspeed X) but I tried it before for a while and went back to my Corsair Glaive - gonna be hard to give that up...

[​IMG]

Author ukon likes this.
  2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

FYI, don't get a Simba mattress. They, and all other memory foam core ones, have a endemic flaw where over time a dip forms in them. I have to chase the firmer spots around mine, I've had it for 3 or 4 years now (I got a refurbished one for 1/4 the price). There are loads of complains about them if you google it and Simba don't consider it to be under the warrenty. I'm looking at a pocket sprung, with memory foam top layers as my next one ASAP as its destroying my lower back (the soft spots for me form at the lower back area, and because I'm a sid sleeper you basically bend at this point).

Byron C likes this.
  4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

We have a Sealy mattress of that type. Expensive but, excellent.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yeah, I used to have one before I moved out of my Dads, but he threw it out without asking me while I was at uni -_- Unfortunately I bought into the Simba marketing and now I really regret it!

6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

We have a foam mattress from Ikea - I'm not sure it's memory foam, but it's definitely foam - and we have exactly the same thing. We're both side sleepers so the mattress dips right around the point where your hips - in those dips you're basically lying on the wooden divan. And yes, it is destroying both my back and my other half's! :grin:. We did have a memory foam mattress topper which definitely helped, but the damn thing made me so warm.

This topper at least makes the whole thing that much more comfortable and I can definitely feel the difference it makes. But yes, pocket springs for me next time too :thumb:

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  7. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, memory foam is a big no-no for me as it is soooooo hot to sleep on. Hate it. A good pocket-sprung mattress beats memory foam any day imho. Just a shame that good mattresses are rather expensive, but it's an investment innit?

8. Mr_Mistoffelees

That's how we saw it. Bought ours when I had PPI money, nearly 3 years ago now.

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yeah, the simba one is amazing for airflow, almost too much as I get chilly in the winter now! I wish Simba would just do a pocket sprung mattress!

Byron C likes this.
  10. walle

walle Minimodder

HOG Classic 2nd Stage.

Getting back into scuba diving this summer.

Had a set from English Apeks, but it got stolen, didn't wanna pay premium again so went with HOG.

Pete J likes this.
  11. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

We've had our cheapish (£200) pocket spring mattress for ~7 years now and to be honest I'm not sure its changed much since we've had it. Admittedly, I like a firmish mattress despite being a side sleeper but its not a rock solid - no back complaints. Foam just seems like a good way to cook yourself and I already get too warm.

12. Mr_Mistoffelees

Two things to add to thoughts about mattresses; don’t buy online, you’ve got to try before you buy. Any decent shop will let you lay on them for while, to make as sure as you can, that the mattress is right. And, don’t skimp, if you can afford a good one, buy a good one, your back will thank you for it.

Big Elf, IanW and goldstar0011 like this.
  13. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

...and that's why @Mr_Mistoffelees and his wife are no longer allowed in stores that sell beds.

14. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I've had foam mattresses for a while now, ranging from cheap Ikea to expensive Ikea to (now) expensive-er dedicated brand (Emma Mattress). When going foam, you probably want it to be harder than you initially think, but other than that no complaints.

If you have the means, don't cheap out on a mattress.

15. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

16. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Wondered why the front brake on my fixed gear was so crap. Then I remembered it didn't come with any (it was a fixie) and that I had used a cheap back brake on the front (meaning you need to remove the front wheel to get it off, as the bolt is inside the steerer tube). So yeah that is going. Got a Campagnolo TT brake for the front.

[​IMG]

Cost a few bob but then who am I shitting? so did the rest of the bike.

17. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

It's been years since I've bought an SSD, so this feels really cheap. I bought it yesterday for £43, and it has already jumped up to £52.

[​IMG]

Arboreal likes this.
  18. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

A smol bucket of ethernet bits from B&Q and Screwfix - 25m CAT6 cable, wall sockets, trunking, punchdown tool.

I need to replace the phone extension cable from the hallway to my home office upstairs with an ethernet one, before the FTTP install at the end of the month.

19. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

20. legoman

legoman breaker of things

A Yamaha WXA-50 overkill for my needs but hey it works

[​IMG]

Byron C likes this.