1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Nvidia 3xxx series thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Crapman, 6 Jun 2020.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

There was a 3070Ti FE drop this morning. Same thing again: first time around I used my Monzo debit card and Scan told me it couldn't verify my billing address... I managed to try again and this time I used a credit card... and it succeeded.

I mean... I wanted a 3080, and from what I've seen so far the 3000-series Ti cards are slightly overpriced compared to the performance uplift over the standard card.... but in this market I am sure as hell not going to complain about getting a 3070Ti FE at the proper retail price.

Scan have not cancelled the order (EDIT: yet...), the invoice status has updated, and the payment appears on the credit card transaction list.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think this means that it's actually happening...!

Last edited: 18 Jun 2021
    Yaka, Pete J, David and 4 others like this.
  2. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Fingers crossed! I got that far with my 3080 order and it was cancelled afterwards, I never did find out why.

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Hmmm... That's not good... How long ago was that? Hopefully their ordering system has improved since then...

Whenever I've had an order cancelled in the last couple of days, it's usually been an immediate notification at the end of the checkout process. I did actually send them an 'excuse me, but wtf?' email yesterday but I got just about the most bland, generic, and unhelpful reply I've ever seen:

That's about as boilerplate as it gets.

4. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Oh, that was a couple of months ago now. My rant will be somewhere earlier in this thread :) The cancellation email came the next morning and essentially said my order had been cancelled because I must have used an underhand method to buy the card, or I’d already bought one, but couldn’t (or wouldn’t) tell me why.

I emailed and spoke to customer services, both of whom said there was nothing they could do, though both agreed there didn’t appear to be any obvious reason my order was cancelled. So who knows.

I’ve pretty much given up trying since, as I’m not willing to pay ‘market rates’ for a 3080 and have no confidence I’ll be able to get a FE from Scan.

5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I've had no updates through since this morning, so... If it gets cancelled then it gets cancelled. Not much I'll be able to do about it either way, so... ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

And no, hell no, I am not paying the ridiculous scalper prices that some retailers or board partners want.

Last edited: 18 Jun 2021
  6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

My order took until the next day to go from "Payment authorised" to "Order picked". Hopefully, you'll get that one in the morning.

Byron C likes this.
  7. bsp

bsp Minimodder

With the prices continuing to increase.. I could not, in good conscience, buy a GPU at nearly £1k.
    I've now sworn off until maybe 2-3 years from now. 970 still chugging along :)

wyx087 likes this.
  8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wish I'd paid extra for the Saturday shipping option now! :lol:

EDIT: Well, apparently I didn't need to pay extra for Saturday shipping...

This is why, largely, I haven't given a toss. I have absolutely no desire to feed the scalpers, whether that's a retailer or an ebay seller, and I sure as hell don't need an upgrade urgently enough to pay double or triple the price. It's only because the card I bought is a Founders Edition and therefore selling at Nvidia's actual MSRP that I went for it.

When you compare it to the standard versions, the 30x0 Ti range is a little overpriced across the board IMO (and like I said I'd much rather have got the 3080FE) but it's a hell of an upgrade from my 1060 6GB. That card is really starting to show its age now: I can't run newer titles at native monitor res, it struggles a lot in Warzone, and Squadrons in VR really choked it the other day. I can make it work - hell I played Cyberpunk 2077 on this card - but it's a bit painful sometimes...

Last edited: 19 Jun 2021
    Yaka, IanW, BeauchN and 1 other person like this.
  9. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

I got caught up in the hype and managed to pick up a 3090FE. I only play @1440P 165Hz and I'm delighted with my so far 6800xt ( that I paid a scalped price on) not really sure which to keep.

Byron C likes this.
  10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Nice.

I was really after the 3080, I don't think I will ever have the need for a 3090. But I'm pretty chuffed with the 3070Ti, maybe I'll upgrade to a 3080 when the market has calmed right down.

11. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

I know its silly but I'm really put off by the 3080s 10GB ov VRAM it sounds like a downgrade from the 6800XT I know its faster memory but my head cant get over 16GB being bigger than 10GB :duh:

12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

@1440p there's not a lot to choose between the 3090 and 6800XT, whilst the 3090 is faster it is not as fast as you think it should be, the 3090 doesn't really flex until 4k.

Strangely the 16Gb doesn't seem to help the AMD at 4k and it falls behind a 10Gb 3080, something in that arch or driver is coking the cards.

Sgoaty likes this.
  13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I'll be honest, I was a little apprehensive about only having 8GB of VRAM on the 3070Ti. But the most intensive game I currently run is Call of Duty Warzone, and I can crank the settings on that to my heart's content without even getting near the VRAM limit. I'm not quite ready for another playthrough of Cyberpunk 2077 yet, but I ran that the other day with everything cranked all the way and it didn't complain about VRAM usage. I mean... it only hit around 40-50FPS with all the settings cranked like that, but VRAM wasn't an issue at least! :lol:

14. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

There is no way to know exactly how much you are actually using. All you get is the allocation. That does not mean you are using it, or aren't using too much of it. It's just what the game allocates. The only way to know is to bench it against a card with more and then you find out.

8gb is not even enough for 1440p. It has been proven already, when the 3070 launched. It was level pegging with the 2080Ti, until the 3070 ran short.

That all said, for what you paid for the Ti? you made out well. You could have bought two of those for what the Ti cost at launch.

15. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Card auth system only checks the house number and the numbers from the post code. Sometimes it's just ****.

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I'm sure as hell not going to lose any sleep over it, not in this market.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  17. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah exactly.

18. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

just took delivery of my 3080ti, replaced my 2080ti now my only gripe is when the fan spin i get emi sound from speakers using both mobo and sound card outputs. :(

of my 2080ti i dont think i have ever cleaned it but was surprised to find very little dust in it.

Byron C likes this.
  19. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

20. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder