1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Come to Germany! Over here they are extremely rude on top of all the good stuff you already listed.

Spraduke likes this.
  2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Was having this convo with my brother (CIG carp) on Saturday. It's the blame game. Chippy blames plumber, etc etc.

3. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Apparently our builder cant use a level, our chippy needs a new tape measure, the electrician doesn't know what a parallel or perpendicular line is, the plumber can't hang a radiator straight on a solid wall, the plasterer is allergic to screws (why use more when the plasterboard can just rattle on the studs), the glazers didn't realise glass is fragile and the roofers didn't realise that water is a fluid that can flow under plastic if it puddles.

Nothing that is dangerous exactly (except the water running down the cavities and tripping the electrics) but my god not one of them has done the job 'right'. My personal highlight (apart from the indoor water features) was spending a whole night stapling up 'vapour membrane' to the ceiling (as per our drawings to building control) for the plasterer to come in the next day and cut it back by about 6 inches from all the walls! By the time I realised, the damage was done and the plasterboard was half up so I figured just cover it up before building control notices (which bloody pains me).

4. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Had someone try to defraud us out of £10000 using a stollen card, the customer kept promising to provide a picture of him holding the card in question, he didn’t, we refunded all the funds back to the original card following Stripes advice, in return, we still have to foot the £202.75 Stripe fee’s.

Fantastic!

5. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

But apart from all that, tradesmen in the Warrington area are alright?

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Hiring plumbers, electricians, builders, roofers etc is a skill... get better at it :o:

perplekks45 likes this.
  7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Another problem that is easier to solve if you can throw war chests of money at it, I guess.

ElThomsono likes this.
  8. Mister_Tad

Quite the contrary - I've found patience to be the key component.
    I.e. talk to local tradespeople until I get a warm fuzzy feeling about one, and wait (and wait, and wait) until they're available.

The guy that refinished a floor for us only charged £180 for two full days work, inc materials (like wtf?), the catch was a 4 month leadtime.

EDIT: Or how could I forget the rip-off merchant that had very good availability to start £6-8000 of remedial work on an "unsafe" wood stove and chimney (after showing us pictures of burned down houses), versus the guy that came three weeks later, inspected everything and said it was all done proper, was likely only used once or twice and didn't even need a clean.

Last edited: 29 Jun 2021
  9. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Oh I know, but its still a bloody lottery when you use someone for the first time. Most were recommended in some shape or form and whilst none have been cowboys none of them have done a professional job either.

Buckets of cash or living without a kitchen for another 6 months would probably have solved all the issues!

Now the bathroom fitter we used in our last house - he was a legend and could tile straighter than a CNC machine! (not onto bathrooms in this house yet though)

10. Mister_Tad

Yeah, little bit tongue in cheek with that. The anxiety of hiring someone for the first time is very, very real. I've ended up doing so much myself because of it. But some stuff I'm just not up for.

We spent the first 4 months in this house unable to plug anything much in. To use the internet at the same time as the tumble dryer we needed an extension halfway across the house, had to manage microwave use to when clothes weren't drying and couldn't really plug any other electronics in. Good times. That was arguably a job that couldn't really wait, but we were assured that it was safe (I mean that's the whole point of the RCD tripping after all), and had a really good warm fuzzy feeling about the one electrician so made the choice to tough it out.

Six months without a kitchen might be... fun? Right?

Last edited: 29 Jun 2021
  11. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

12. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

13. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I mean haven't things like brand ambassadors etc been things for years, this feels like a relatively natural progression to be fair. Not saying I'm a fan but if people are willing to pay people to do it, why wouldn't people do it?

14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You would not believe - or maybe you would - the number of press releases I get saying a company has appointed a brand ambassador. And it's always someone completely unrelated - we're not talking a footballer being appointed brand ambassador for FIFA 2022 or something, here. It's footballers being selected as brand ambassadors for DRAM manufacturers, or rappers repping for joystick makers.

Hell, I had a release a year or two ago where some box-builder had given a footballer, who earned something like £60m a year, a free top-end gaming PC, gaming chair, and (gaming, presumably) desk in exchange for him posing for a photo where he looked bored as hell receiving it. That was it, he was never mentioned again.

Unsurprisingly, I declined to cover the "story."

15. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

CANCEL CULTURE!!!!!!!!!! :D

16. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Haha exactly!

17. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

wasn't that Agüero

18. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I mean... that's kinda what "influencers" are. 'Twas ever thus: instead of try-hards on crappy third-rate TV shows, game shows, or "reality TV" shows, we now have "social media influencers".

20. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

On the one hand, influencers can jump in a fire.

On the other hand, if they learn how to conduct themselves in a way befitting of a business - Which is what they're making themselves into - Maybe they'll be less insufferable.

Unlikely, but I can dream right?