1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Doing the spokes up all the way, I bet you could have played those spoke like a harp.
    The first wheels I built were E13 rims onto Chris King hubs, the stress helped me work carefully. Still riding those wheels too.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah they were probably the wrong spokes too tbf. I just took apart an old wheel and tried to lace it onto a nicer rim. Didn't try again after that :D

Talking of stress.. So I rode these wheels for a year on another very heavy bike from the late 90s. I did a set of stairs (random fat old man tricks) as I must have been feeling good that day. Any way, landed it fine. The back wheel developed a small buckle after that.. Then today when I was lacing it I noticed a stress fracture. Thankfully it is on the inner wall (they are double walled and it goes between two spoke holes. So it can't go anywhere else.

3. Vault-Tec

Doing something different. For a change. I've done this in the past, but not on any of my dearly cherished 90s bikes. This one however? yeah. So you'll remember I bought those bars and they looked like this.

[​IMG]

Then I compared them to the paint I had ordered.

[​IMG]

Hmm. *cogs whirring*.

One £9 sprocket. However, due to my keen eye I immediately recognised it from the late 90s. When it was £60. Whoever owned it obviously did not realise it was a CNC billet wheel, so spray bombed it.

[​IMG]

Idiots. You ruin the best part. Enter the chemicals.

[​IMG]

Better. Then spend three hours masking last night (two rows of fine line tape, then masking.

[​IMG]

I won't lie I nearly threw it out the window. That was a huge PITA. This morning I etched it.

[​IMG]

Then white left over from the last bike.

[​IMG]

Then black.

[​IMG]

Rotate, then blue.

[​IMG]

Let it flash, three coats of clear. Then.

[​IMG]

It was so worth it.

B1GBUD and perplekks45 like this.
  4. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Finally learning "Self Control" when it comes to money.

May seem silly but I have always been reckless with my money, I see something and my brain just say's "You need that!".

So for the last sort of 6 months I have been allowing myself to buy some stuff but also making larger payment's on debt's.

It's paying off as I was able to call up one company this week and say "I am clearing the balance" and pay it off.

Got another one which I will be making larger than normal payments on for the next 4 months and then that will be gone, leaving me in a much better place financially and then it makes it easier to pay the remaining 4 or so debts off.

I am hoping that because I have set my mind to it, that I can stick to it and as long as I do, I will be debt free inside of 12 to 24 months based of my current salary.

The beauty is that I am being contacted on a weekly basis by recruiters for other roles and whilst I am not exactly looking and being picky, it's helping with my argument at work that they need to sort my salary out because they are seeing the salary ranges for these other jobs as being 38%+ more each year.

So regardless of which way it goes either a large salary increase at where I work currently or a new job with a massive salary increase which will mean I can pay it off even sooner, potentially 6 to 12 months.

5. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I was lucky enough to be taught by an experienced wheel builder. As for spokes, you used to be able to go into a good bike shop, tell them what rims and hubs you were going to use and how you were going to build them up, then they would look up what lengths you need on a spoke calculator. Do shops still do that now?

Last edited: 10 Jul 2021
  6. Vault-Tec

I doubt my LBS would do that. Hence the £55 to lace a wheel up. There are calculators online now. I used this one.

https://www.prowheelbuilder.com/spokelengthcalculator

Thankfully it did list the rim, but I found out the size for that any way (Stolen Revolver, it was on the manu's site).

The hub I laced to was from the 90's. So thankfully it was large flange, same sizes both sides. Or else I would have had to calculate two sides and piss around with two lengths of spokes. Most modern ones now are totally different both sides.

7. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Well surprised, that link includes the hub and rim combination I last built; Mavic Open4 CD on Campagnolo Centaur.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  8. onemaddude

onemaddude Minimodder

Being out of hospital 7 weeks after breaking my leg (again), i am still in a frame for the next 6 to 12 months. But being home is great

IanW and perplekks45 like this.
  9. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Re-shelled my PC. Out with the Thermaltake V21, in with the Lian-Li O11D Mini "Snow".
    The mATX motherboard looks a little lost in there! (full specs in sig)

[​IMG]

10. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

We did well, I feel good about England’s performance despite losing.

Be gone anxiety!

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

[​IMG]

Well, the NodeMCU was a little bigger, but some crafty soldering and bending of header pins later, and it all fits. And more importantly, works.

The GBS control interface is rather nice, so that's definitely a benefit. Aside from it looking better than just straight component cable.

I think I just need to invest in a better VGA-HDMI adapter now..

Edit: I started working on painting the Mantis Blade a little more;

[​IMG]

And then had a headache with pictures - If I can score a mannequin, I can print the parts of the arms I need, and make a stand for the Mantis Blades and the jacket.

Last edited: 14 Jul 2021
  12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I've just done something probably the most grown-up thing ever - I objected to a planning application!

This one is for a Costa Coffee drive-thru on the Welsh border at Queensferry.
    As a local, my objection pointed to the government's recently published "Transport decarbonisation policy", and asked why there were no rapid chargers for electric cars on the submitted plans.
    It also gave the applicant a way out, noting that Costa have a deal with charging network operator Instavolt to install rapid chargers, and asked if such units would be installed by opening day, if planning is granted.

[​IMG]
    Consultation period begins on plans to build Costa Coffee drive-thru at former Gateway to Wales hotel site

Byron C likes this.
  13. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Another complaint could be that their visualisation of what it will look like appears to have be done in MS Paint.

Byron C and perplekks45 like this.
  14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

The news site seems to have photoshopped the diagrams from the planning application into a pic of the site from the dual-carriageway that goes past it.

15. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Not normally one to endorse cleaning products but this stuff works like magic:

[​IMG]

If you've got a greasy cooker hood, just spray this on and wipe it off. You'd think it had benzene in it it works so well.

16. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

HUBBLE LIVES!

stonedsurd likes this.
  17. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Probably has said worse (both for your kitchen and your respiratory tract) in it. It still works, though.

18. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

19. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

20. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No C5? Swizz.

The milk float was a nice touch, though. Crazy how we've gone backwards, there: you can watch footage of electric milk floats in service in the 1940s, and yet our milk was delivered today in a battered diesel van pumping out all kinds of nasties. What went wrong, eh?

IanW likes this.