1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Recommend me an RPG/CRPG...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Sentinel-R1, 13 Jul 2021.

1. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I'm after something else to play. Usually go for fantasy, story-driven RPG and CRPGs. I love the Divinity series and Pathfinder: Kingmaker, so something along those lines. Prefer isometric style and roguelite to roguelike as it's more about the story than the depth of challenge for me, so no permadeath. Not fussed if turn-based or real-time either.

Any good recommendations for me to get lost in?

2. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I'd say Tyranny, Solasta: Crown of the Magister and Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire are definitely worth a look at.
    • PoE2 is one of my all-time favourite isometric RPG titles, I wouldn't worry as much about the first Pillars of Eternity game - it's decent but is no where near the quality of PoE2 Deadfire and you don't need to play the first game to enjoy PoE2 Deadfire.
    • Solasta is great if you're a fan of the mechanics from D&D 5th Edition, it's possibly the closest video game representation of that system that currently exists.
    • If you like games where your choices have a pretty big impact on the world, then Tyranny is definitely a game to play... it also has one of the best soundtracks of any CRPG.

Tyranny
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/362960/Tyranny/

Solasta: Crown of the Magister
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1096530/Solasta_Crown_of_the_Magister/

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/560130/Pillars_of_Eternity_II_Deadfire/

Fizzban likes this.
  3. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Great! Thank you for the detailed reply!

I played the first PoE and wasn't blown away, hence didn't give Deadfire much consideration but will go and check out a few gameplay vids.

I'll also definitely check out the other two also. Appreciated!

4. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I think the main issue with the first Pillars of Eternity game is that the prologue and first chapter are incredibly dull and it takes some effort to push through that bit.
    Probably the worst bit for Deadfire for me was one of the major cities, it was a bit of a quest overload... far too much to do. The rest of the game felt a lot more open and free to explore in my own way compared to the first game's storyline.

The main storyline in the first Pillars game is superior, but it drags for too long and there's a bit too much going on with way more reading needed between so many companions and the endless added fluff from listening to people's souls (most of which added zero worthwhile knowledge).

5. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

That was my issue with it. Superfluous dialogue and clickfest character interaction. It was a little too much and didn't strike the balance between RPG and story that I expected.

6. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Managed to pick up PoE2 Deadfire Obsidian Edition on Humble Store for £16. Currently £45 on Steam, so happy with that! I shall give it a bash!

7. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I felt like I should enjoy PoE more than Tyranny, and I seem to remember Tyranny getting a 'meh' from a few places, but I really enjoyed it. (not that I finished it, or any rpg ever)

I'm always hesitant to recommend anything, but i'll point you in the direction of the Wasteland games (not fantasy though) and if some how you've not played them, Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale.
    Also, I seem to remember that Dragon Age 1 can be played from above, but then I don't think the others can.

8. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Thanks Loftie. I've indeed played Wasteland, BG and IWD games but thank you. I was after something obscure that I'd likely missed.

9. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

If you wanted a blast from the past, I came across Shadoworlds recently (maybe on GOG?) for a couple of quid. I'd probably entertain it for a bit for old times' sake, but not sure if it's worth a bucket of hours.

Titan Quest and its expansions are good though - not sure if that's the same thing as you're after.

10. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I gave Titan Quest a blast a while ago. Wasn't 'pretty' enough to draw me in. I kept noticing the poor textures and 16-Bit shadows everywhere and it just put me right off, despite the concept being decent.

A mate has just recommended Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem, despite it's mixed reviews. He absolutely loves it and I've had a look on his PC and it is really nice to look at. Gameplay also looks decent so may give that a bash. Can always refund on steam if I don't get the feels within a couple of hours.

11. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

12. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Yeah, as per my first post, I already have and loved Pathfinder and looking forward to the next iteration!

13. Fizzban

Reading fail. Apologies.

14. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Hey no worries! I'd rather get people engaged and making recommendations. I loved Pathfinder so much, I bought it on console too, to play on the big screen...and it was better for it!

15. Fizzban

Did you ever play Neverwinter Nights? Steam has the enhanced version with all the dlc included. Neverwinter Nights 2 is also worth a crack.

I hear what people say about the first POE game. It was a slow start but it was worth it in the end.

16. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I certainly did and it was great. Showing its age a bit now but still a great game.

I'm looking forward to the Diablo II remake coming out soon. That is going to hook me in for months.

17. Fizzban

Still got my box for Neverwinter. Those old cardboard ones with the thick instruction manuel in them. I like the space from digital, but I miss the boxes.

Oh man.. I spent so much time in Diablo II LoD online. I'm kinda scared of a remake lol.

18. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

The game is less of a remake and more of a graphics uplift. The story remains unchanged AFAIK... I'm super hyped for the dark, almost gothic characters and story, with modern rendering.

19. Fizzban

Diablo II is what they have been trying to capture since and failing. I've played D3 and it was fun, but it never grabbed me. I don't care about D4 at all. Story has gone batshit crazy besides lol. Remastering D2 makes sense really.

20. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

100%. It really is the gem of the series. Even playing the original release is truly magical but when they update the graphics, that's me... done. Won't see me for months.

Fizzban likes this.