1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Game ban

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by David Popescu, 15 Jul 2021.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

2. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Taddy you can go suck a BIG FAT - nah I'm kidding don't ban me plzerino #moddspartofthefurniture

MLyons likes this.
  3. derekthetree

derekthetree What's a Dremel?

Logged back in from lurking just to say.

Best. Thread. Ever.

Otis1337 and Mister_Tad like this.
  4. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Attached Files:

5. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I am kinda interested in the purely technical side of this enquiry. The stakes are incredibly low and petty, but the mod's ability to identify him despite clearing everything is curious.

I once had a customer in the same situation with some really niche swinger website, where the tiny size of the community and the gatekeeping vindictiveness of a particular mod resulted in him having to go to all sorts of extreme technical workarounds to access the site. And he kept getting found out and banned again. Due to the frankly icky and personal nature of the site I didn't get involved beyond name-dropping different VPNs, but I always wondered how the mod was so spookily good at identifying him over and over again.

Device fingerprinting? My first guess. Even in different browsers, I've inferred that certain system info (operating system, instruction set and version, CPU/architecture, available system resources, settings) is available to web pages through most mainstream browsers. But I don't exactly know what or how, or if it can even be stopped. Tom Scott has mentioned how incredibly difficult device fingerprinting is to guard against.

Also, OP, is your social activity/behaviour in the game specific enough that he could identify you by that? Player-to-player comms, for instance, are all visible to mods. If you always communicate with certain people when rejoining, that would be an obvious thing they could monitor.

Last edited: 20 Jul 2021
  6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The EFF has a site for testing your browser, for the curious. While my browser's pretty locked down, it still told me "your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 251,029 tested in the past 45 days."

7. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

That's a fun little website. I also appear to be unique with strong protection against tracking.

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I am enjoying this thread. Butthurt people are the best.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  9. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

I love the idea you sign up to a forum to find out how to bypass admins.

Times like this I miss Bindi and his Banhammer

10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I love the BT virtual flash mobs. :D There should be notifications for it.
    Odds are the devs and admins already have a private thread about you: "THAT guy again." -Get catty enough and you make more enemies than you realize.
    I'd love to read mine some day.

IanW and andrew8200m like this.
  11. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

That was an entertaining read :D

12. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

P.S @David Popescu - you should try using the Brave Browser rather than VPN, it has access to the TOR network built in. - However it would be better to try and work it out with the game developer instead.

13. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I'm running a 560 Ti on this machine.

"One in 31352.62 browsers have this value."

Oof.
    ...it's you, isn't it? You're the moderator on the weird cycling game that keeps banning him.

14. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I reckon he's hooked a Briggs and Stratton up to his Peloton and is ruining the leaderboard; they keep finding him as he's the only one who can maintain a steady 50mph.

15. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Pages and pages long.

16. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I have been touching myself to this thread for like a straight week now. Who said mods have to have morals...

17. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

if it switches every time he switches browser but then doesn't work after it's likely abusing localstorage. It's a fairly easy way to do it. if even incognito it banned then they're doing something relating to the hardware or some account logged in

Nah we'd never do that... :rollingeyes: