1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft Windows 365 beckons era of hybrid computing

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 15 Jul 2021.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

...and probably also the era of annual subscriptions to continue using the OS.

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'm curious to see the pricing. If I remember to check in August.

4. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

If Office is the blueprint then buying outright will remain an option but subscription will be available with the benefit some cloud services you'd expect to pay for anyway. Microsoft haven't really shown signs of going full Adobe CC.

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

They better not. No one wants an OEM that you need to feed money for it to operate. Google will fill in that gap immediately.

6. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

You know, I thought I'd just check re: Office quickly, but unless I'm reading something wrong, it looks like it's now subscription only:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/office.aspx

I do remember the missus' laptop coming with a free 1yr trial for the same a while back, after which she was unable to edit any of the spreadsheets she'd created. Which is when we switched to Libre Office. @wolfticket - is there still this "buy once" option somewhere that I've missed?
    Yeah, plus hooky copies, Linux etc. for sure.

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

8. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

For whatever reason buying MS Office as a one off purchase through a reseller has always seemed the more common and cheaper way to get it rather than direct from Microsoft.

One time purchase at is the first result for "microsoft office 2019" on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=microsoft+office+2019
    And I'm fairly sure you can buy it in store at Currys PC World along side the 365 sub vouchers.

That said MS do still have the one off purchase version in the main comparison chart: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/microsoft-365/buy/compare-all-microsoft-365-products

Last edited: 19 Jul 2021
  9. monty-pup

monty-pup Minimodder

Does anything major really change under the hood of something like Office to justify £250 one off?

Tags: Add Tags